Exercise "Catch 22" - I need it but can't do it!

Options
I have been going to physical therapy for several months due to sciatica in my left leg (pain that radiates out from the hip and backside).

The "catch-22" is, they keep telling me the best way to ease the pain is to lose weight - but in order to lose weight, I need to exercise regularly, and because of the pain, it's hard to exercise!

My personal decision has been, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead: I go out and do a walk every day, when I can. I find that after about five minutes of walking at a steady pace, the pain goes away and I feel really good, for a while anyway.

But if I just try to stand up, like at church, for more than a few minutes, I have a lot of pain.

Anyone else in the same boat? How are you dealing with it?

Replies

• Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    try swimming. It's a great full body workout, and it's really easy on your joints.
  • AELLIS1997
    AELLIS1997 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but when i exercise it doesnt bother me. I do end up paying for it later in the evening but for me its worth it. I just take ibuprofen before i exercise and later on to help. Good luck!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There are classes at my gym for "chair aerobics". It's aimed at people with poor mobility. Or try pilates, it's good strengthening and toning exercise which may help with your pain too, without being high impact. And of course swimming, like the person above said.
  • rae125
    rae125 Posts: 25
    Options
    Are you still in PT? I'm sure your PT could offer some great suggestions for at home exercises.

Have you tried something like yoga? My friend has sciatica in her back and it really helps her. Also, couldn't you lift weights while seated/lying down? Adding muscle will help you to loose weight and you can still work your arms without doing anything with your legs (my brother did this when he tore his ACL).
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight just eating healthy. try a cleaner diet and see if you get some weight off, maybe the pain will ease up to the point that exercising can be supplemented in. Im pretty sure that pain is your body's way of saying dont do this yet. I like the swimming idea.... have you tried that?
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm in kind of a similiar situation, but maybe reverse... My doctor has advised me not to work out, since I'm so anemic that it'd be very easy for me to overexert myself. Yet I feel like the walking dead or I just sleep 16 hours a day if I don't force myself to something active, neither of which goes well with weight loss.
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Punches or boxing if you like can get your heart rate going and you can do it sitting down, its good for people with leg injuries etc...with gentle exercising and healthy eating you could loose enough that the pain lightens up and you can work out harder. Not sure if that helps but wish you the best ^^
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have similar pain in the right leg. Doctor's have not actually given me a diagnosis.. I found that yoga and leg exercises help. This month I am trying to focus on building my "core." A strong core will help the pain.

Good luck.
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and I'm so sorry you're experiencing that! I have experienced sciatica quite a few times in the last 15 years and the ONLY thing that has really helped (and allowed it to subside) is walking (walking, walking, walking). I've gotten some temporary relief (and been able to get a bit of sleep) by lying on the floor with my butt pressed up against the base of the couch or a chair with my lower legs and feet on the seat of the couch/chair. Hope you're are able to get some relief soon!
  • Lynwilli
    Lynwilli Posts: 28
    Options
    Water aerobics is great on joints and you can focus more on arm motions. PTs and OTs should really work with you.
  • KetoLovingMama
    KetoLovingMama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Yoga?