Have 240 lbs to lose. Anyone else in my shoes?

I gotta get another 170lbs off....I've lost 70....what are you doing to get yours off? Ideas of activities and stuff you do at this much weight would be wonderful!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    The most important thing to do is work on developing consistency. Be active everyday and work on hitting appropriate nutritional goals (calories and macros). Eat mostly healthy, whole foods and work in some treat foods too. It's just time and consistency after that. You're working to make a better life for yourself, so keep going and your eyes on the prize.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I started are 397 and am currently around 289. 175 is the top of a healthy weight range for me so I'm just shy of halfway at this point. In all I'll be looking at 225+ pounds lost.
  • Not quite your shoes but I started out at 329. I've been maintaining at around the 150 lbs lost mark for a few years and I'm now working on losing the rest. When I hit my UGW I'll have lost 176.

I just want to send some more encouragement your way; fantastic loss so far!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    edited September 2016
    I didn't have that much to lose, but I did need to lose 170 pounds. I managed to lose 160, but my binge eating disorder kicked in and I gained 50 back. Finally I am on medicine and the binging has stopped and I am losing weight again.

To lose it, I just had a large deficit. I am 6'5", so my TDEE, even at 180, was around 2500 calories. I didn't set my goal to a specific deficit, I just ate as little as I could get by on. I usually had around 1200-1300 calories. I lost the weight very quickly, around 9 months to lose the 160 pounds. I wouldn't recommend this, but my doctor told me how much to eat and monitored my blood work and vitals and I didn't have any bad side effects from losing so quickly.

I was one of those lose weight or die soon cases, so I had to do it quickly. My blood pressure, even with a double dose of meds, was still dangerously high. My resting heart rate was usually around 130.
  • shrinkpositively
    shrinkpositively Posts: 11 Member
    Not exactly, but I still have my own long haul. I'm 255 and I think the BMI says 140 is the higher end of healthy weight for my height. However, my goal is 180, and I'll see how I feel at that point. I'm not really sure how fitting the BMI measure is for my own body, especially given that I'm a black woman, but I digress.

Even if I were stressed about the 140 mark (and to be clear, I'm not), I would need to focus on some smaller goals. Over 100 lbs to lose is an overwhelming thought. I used to go into this thinking that way and the "defeated before I've even begun" feeling would creep up on me. Aiming for and celebrating smaller milestones seems like the best way to approach things for my own journey.

Almost more important to me than the weight is being more active. That's a struggle for me. And I love food lol
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    edited September 2016
    I needed to lose 130 lbs, but I am only 5'5'' and started out at 280, trying to get to 150, so in a way, I am pretty much where you are. Exercising doesn't help you lose weight, it just allows you to eat more and maintain a deficit. I concentrate on weighing and logging every single thing that goes into my mouth and I only exercise when I know I'm going to be eating heavier.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Great job thus far. I have already lost 48 pounds and have over 100 to go, so I can empathize. I have started riding a stationary bike 4 or 5 days a week. Started out at about 20 minutes each time and have managed to build up to 50 minutes. I find reading a book on my kindle helps to pass the time while I am riding the bike. Keeping a log to track time and miles is helping motivate me. In the month of August I actually managed to get in 179 miles which would not have been possible a few months ago. Whatever you should choose, just take it slow and build up the time/stamina to do better.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited September 2016
    I started with 200lbs to lose, and am currently down ~70. All it takes is a calorie deficit, though I find it much easier to stick to by adding in walking. I don't like the ridiculously huge deficits that some people do, as I tend to get light headed and keep constant headaches if I eat little enough to lose more than 2lbs/week.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    What a great job you've done so far!

I've lost 90 lbs in 10 months (270+ down to 185) with another 40 to go. I started with walking then jogging every morning. I only recently started at a gym (in the last month). I go twice a week for an hour and do strength training. I go to yoga classes every so often.

Food has been the biggest hurdle. Finding the right amount of calories to give me the energy to get through the day. It was a struggle to up my calories since I enjoyed losing 3-5 lbs every week but I recognized I couldn't sustain such a huge calorie deficient. I upped my calories from 1200 (less on some days) to 1600. I don't get hungry as often. I have plenty of energy. I'm certainly a nicer person to be around (lol).

Best of luck to you!!
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Jrodsway wrote: »
    I gotta get another 170lbs off....I've lost 70....what are you doing to get yours off? Ideas of activities and stuff you do at this much weight would be wonderful!

Hi there! I'm currently weighing 289 (down from 315), and have 149 lbs. to lose.

I'm eating better - lower calories, healthier food choices, but still eating things I enjoy. I'm walking a lot - I've logged close to 35 miles already this month, and I'm also incorporating a little bit of strength training and climbing stairs. This fall, I'm hoping to compete in my first ever 5k!

I love to help motivate people, and also love to have supportive people around me, so if you're like to friend me, feel free to.

Have a wonderful day!

• adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    SW 360, CW 313 GW 200. Ive lost 47/160 i want to lose, but 200 is just my first goal to get rid of the bulk of my weight, honestly i don't know what my goal will be then. But if you need a friend add me, I haven't exercised much at all, just became more active or less lazy, walking more, getting outside more with the kids.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    You are amazing! You've beaten cancer, and now you are seeking to improve your overall health! I'd wish you luck, but I know you won't need it. You're going to do great!
  • weight_loss_journey2016
    weight_loss_journey2016 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    I started at 298.8 and now I'm 290.6. Not all that much weight lost but I've also not been all that concentrating on it all until now. I want to congratulate you on your loss so far. This is not an easy journey but it's worth it. Find something you love to do that's exercise and just do it daily. I walk, swim and dance around my apartment. May be silly but hey it's what brings me joy and hopefully will get me to my goal eventually. I'm looking forward to the baby milestones (get out of 290s, 280s etc) more than the big milestones (100 pound loss). You certainly are doing it and be proud of your accomplishment!!!! :)
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    All the best dude. Keep it up your doing great!!!!!
  • Fantastic weight loss! I'm not quite where you are but I'm aiming to lose a minimum of 150lbs. I think the top of my bmi range would need me to lose another 25lbs after that but I'll be happy to lose 150lbs. Well done and keep at it. Everyone is cheering you on :smiley:
  • smurph121
    smurph121 Posts: 3 Member
    Congrats on your losses so far! Your question resonates with me because I find it so hard to be active at 291 lbs - my feet, hips, knees and lungs are all screaming at me "you trying to kill me girl?" So I've resorted to dancing for now. Crank the music, close the blinds, and dance! It's tiring but also fun so I seem to be able to endure it longer than a treadmill.