Hungry Girl!

Options
quitmakingexcuses
quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
I'm sure a lot of you have heard of her but for those who have not.. Hungry Girl is an amazing woman who comes up with a bunch of healthy versions of all your favorite foods, i.e. onion rings, cake, burgers, etc! I was watching her show on Food Network and wanted to share for those who need some great recipe ideas!

Here is her website, but she also has a show and tons of great cook books (which I own!) --
http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Replies

• KotyTyler
    KotyTyler Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I get her daily emails and have for about 4 years now, have two of her cookbooks, and right at this very moment am watching her on the Cooking Channel. Comes on here in Vegas at 1 pm.
    Nice to meet a fellow Hungry Girl lover!!
    Koty
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    watching her right now on tv. She's doing onion rings. Using fiber one cereal, and egg white. Tried them before and they were yummy! We also like her cheese sticks using mozarella cheese and fiber one cereal. Yummy!
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was just actually reading my cookbook of hers!! They are awesome and I can eat what I want without feeling guilty about it!!
    :happy:
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Heard of her and have seen the show....and I'm skeptical about how healthy all that is...

A lot of the ingredients in her recipes are super high in sodium and still VERY processed. If it were me, I'd take her recipes with a grain of salt. I'd gladly substitute REAL sugar for all the Splenda packets she's putting in things. Because for me personally, artificial sweeteners scare me!!
  • hungryhefer
    Options
    Its kind of ironic..I saw her show about 4mos ago and thought to myself "piss on that!! I want the real deal!" Now im not only watching her show but also using her ideas...
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    love hungry girl watching it now actually im kinda obsessed with food network and the cooking channel but i dont really know what other shows are healthy cooking so i only try her recipes
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    watching her right now on tv. She's doing onion rings. Using fiber one cereal, and egg white. Tried them before and they were yummy! We also like her cheese sticks using mozarella cheese and fiber one cereal. Yummy!

That's the one I'm watching! That burger looked sooo good!
    Heard of her and have seen the show....and I'm skeptical about how healthy all that is...

A lot of the ingredients in her recipes are super high in sodium and still VERY processed. If it were me, I'd take her recipes with a grain of salt. I'd gladly substitute REAL sugar for all the Splenda packets she's putting in things. Because for me personally, artificial sweeteners scare me!!

Agreed starkid120! I'm very into natural/organic, but she gives great ideas/alternatives that you can always adjust or modify. She just comes up with things that I'd never think of, like using cereal as a breading!
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Love hungry girl! Haven't seen her show yet....but have her books and go to her website often. Also "like" her on facebook :) She is great.
  • StephCrabtree
    Options
    I watch her show all the time. Gotta love her enthusiasm. Found some good recipes on her website.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I can see why people like Hungry Girl but it seems the food is way too heavy for my taste...a lot of it I would never eat.
  • lizajanetoo
    lizajanetoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just got her 300 under 300 cookbook. I really like some of the combinations she has. I get bored easily and having the ideas to change things up is gonna be fun.

I do sub some fresh things for her processed items or for whatever I have on hand that will work just as well.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I just made her apple pie-lets...My house smells amazing and they are only 110 per pie!!! YUM!!!!!!!!
  • poutinEeyore
    poutinEeyore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I Love Hungry Girl's Ideas and recipes. I've done the cucumber in fruit salad and it is good. It takes on the flavors of other fruit.
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl cookbooks are my favorite! I use them all the time. My favorite right now is the Pulled Chicken BBQ from Hungry Girl 1-2-3.
  • dingoes
    dingoes Posts: 12
    Options
    I downloaded 200 under 200, 1-2-3, and one other last week...so excited to start making things!!
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I sort of made the Saucy Pasta Swap from 1-2-3 tonight (well, I cheated and used premade spaghetti sauce because I forgot to go get a couple of ingredients) but the broccoli slaw instead of noodles was actually really good! They had a great texture.
  • Demoneia
    Demoneia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I'm sure we can all agree that one of the things we hate about dieting is missing out on our favourite junk foods.
  • cshore54
    cshore54 Posts: 70
    Options
    One of my favorite Hungry Girl tips is making crumbs out of Fiber One cereal to coat and oven fry chicken. I season the crumbs with paprika and garlic. It is really very good.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just made one of her egg cups when I got home from the gym today - great idea that for some reason I never thought of before.
  • winningthin
    winningthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I too can appreciate some of her recipes, but agree that she (Lisa Lillien of Hungry Girl) uses too many processed alternatives and artificial sweetners. I guess she's a good option for those who are solely focused on calories.