Random question... left inside heel of running shoes wear down really bad

Options
I have just picked up trail running after my first spartan race. I purchased reebok super OR trail shoes... they are definitely a minimus shoe as they are very light and i think close to barefoot. However, i have ran a sprint, 4 miles and likely 50-60 training miles in them and the left inside heel is collapsed and has caused a different wear pattern than the right shoe... these shoes are only a month or so old and the left shoe looks awful. What does this wear pattern mean? Do i need an insert? I also have chronic lower right quadrant back pain... nothing that keeps me from training... could this be connected? Any info would be great. Thanks all!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like defective shoes.. unless your previous shoes had the same wear pattern?

As far as the back pain, do you happen to sit a lot with your wallet in your right back pocket? That's a common cause of lower right back pain with guys. :+1:
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Get some gait analysis done at your nearest running shop. If you are rolling your left leg in that would shift your pelvis and could cause right back pain. If the analysis shows nothing then get onto the shoe manufacturer!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    did you have a problem with your previous shoes and have you noticed a similar wear pattern with your day-to-day walking shoes? Trail running tends to move the feet in a different way than running on flat surfaces, so you DON'T tend to hit the ground repeatedly in the same pattern. I'd be suspicious if the shoes have worn that quickly. But like the above poster suggests, get a gait analysis done, and then go back to where you bought your shoes as they sound faulty.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Get some gait analysis done at your nearest running shop. If you are rolling your left leg in that would shift your pelvis and could cause right back pain. If the analysis shows nothing then get onto the shoe manufacturer!

I would suggest gait analysis as well.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I looked at my normal training shoes... you can see a touch of the same type of wear as on the trail shoe. I'm betting I'm going to need to get a wedge for my left shoe. After reading assume last night, it seems as though this could be caused by pronation and could in fact cause my lower right back pain.
  • olymp1a
    Options
    I looked at my normal training shoes... you can see a touch of the same type of wear as on the trail shoe. I'm betting I'm going to need to get a wedge for my left shoe. After reading assume last night, it seems as though this could be caused by pronation and could in fact cause my lower right back pain.

Exactly why a gait analysis is a good idea. I do one every 6 months or every year and has really helped me with choosing the right shoes and avoiding pain / injuries. :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Get a gait analysis, don't just put some random wedge in your shoe. I would find a physical therapist that works with runners for the analysis instead of the running store.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not put a random wedge in your shoe. I did this and ended up with chronic tendonitis in my left ankle. A podiatrist eventually built me orthopedic inserts and recommended stability shoes. My running store claimed to have only two real stability shoes neither of which they recommended for running. The inserts fixed all walking problems but the tendonitis continued on runs requiring me to stop and stretch regularly. A month ago I bought a pair of Hoka Constant 2 stability shoes and stopped wearing the inserts. Problem fixed. Gait analysis first, proper shoes second - should fix your issue; if not see a podiatrist or doctor that works with runners. Good running!
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    So can i get this done at my local runners store? Or is this a PT type thing?
  • olymp1a
    Options
    Most running stores do gait analysis. :smile:
  • Medwardsx
    Medwardsx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work at a running shoe store where we perform many gait analyses every day. Is sounds like you may have a good amount of over pronation. This results from collapsing of the medial arch in the foot. It is very common (it's rare to have no over pronation). Running in a minimalist shoe (I assume for a light weight shoe) will likely do more harm than good. It could absolutely be connected! Over pronation can cause various pains in arches, ankles, shins, knees, and even back. I would strongly suggest going to a reputable shoe store that will analyze the mechanics of your feet. Before spending hundreds of dollars on specialty orthotics try finding the correct shoe for you (this is far less expensive!). Do a little searching on the Internet to find the best store near you for this type of thing and give it a try! Shoes make a world of difference! Good luck! Hope his helps!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    olymp1a wrote: »
    Most running stores do gait analysis. :smile:

This is true. Also the knowledge/ability of the person doing it will range from great to worthless as there is no standards for training/competence in this area.

Check with a running club in your local area for a physical therapist that works with runners. The PT can guide you on type of shoes and any exercises you can do to help correct the problem.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Thanks for the advice... I'm needing an all terrain trail shoe for my spartan races.... my normal running shoes do not do this. Thoughts on best brand that i should be looking at?
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    I went to fleet feet today... they said i have a neutral gate... and said that heel collapsed likely due to me being heavier and the shoe i ran in being a minimus shoe...

So now I'm confused as to what i should get... i need a shoe for my spartan races that will drain in water...

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I went to fleet feet today... they said i have a neutral gate... and said that heel collapsed likely due to me being heavier and the shoe i ran in being a minimus shoe...

So now I'm confused as to what i should get... i need a shoe for my spartan races that will drain in water...
    Sounds like the person at fleet feet didn't know what he or she was talking about.

Conceivably, if the shoes you were wearing are true minimalist, it wouldn't take a heck of a lot to wear them out, if one was an over-pronator, which you very could well be.

I would go to another place for a gait analysis.

How about posting some pictures of the wear on your shoes.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Can i post phtos using app?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Can i post phtos using app?
    Looks like you can.