Anyone else get really frustrated by their doctors?

Options
-raises hand way high up- Yeah... my main doctor is this super skinny middle eastern guy, and not to point the finger but I honestly feel like the last appointment I had he broke my spirit =O. I was doing good for about a month, felt good physically and mentally(mental game does a number on me, god knows how many times I've wanted to just go on a rampage of epic proportions) so I go in all stoked to tell him of this stuff I had been doing to get my numbers down, cause they were the best I had in probably years.

Anyways I tell him and show him and he basically shugged it off like it was no big deal.

No disrespect to the guy, and I know I have a decent amount to drop, but that really pissed me off. Anyone else have any instances like this? Total ****weed >_>

Replies

• AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Please understand. Not all doctors take the time and mental commitment to look at each patient as a person. They tend to look at them as, for example, sims characters. They don't consider the mental connotation of certain words or actions and are instead just concerned with making your body better. They sometimes don't understand why emotional waves can disrupt progress. After being in the trade for a long time, a doctor's commitment to each individual patient wanes, and they begin to only see situations, not people with conditions who need help.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I love my doctor - he's my little elf! Mind you...he didn't seem too impressed with my 70lb weight loss but still...he keeps me healthy and sane and he always listens - what more can you ask for!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends, my Doctor is who got me started with the dietitian, but that went nowhere, since I've been "doing it" by logging everything on here I haven't had call to go in, though I may just to check my numbers here soon.
    I like him much better than the old Dr. who was a major pill pusher, pills were his solution to everything, but then he sold out and went to be a... laser eye clinic... so he was more interested in the money than the well-being of patients it seems.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    Oh I know, he has many patients and I'm not meaning it to be a full on blast of all doctors because some I've seen have been really good with me. Just after him seeing me for a few years I thought maybe I'd get a slight pat on the back or a "keep it up" for my troubles. Aint the way it is though.

I mean no disrespect or anything.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your doctor shrugged you off, but we're not all like that. Perhaps he is not the right doctor for you.
    Congratulations on what you have achieved so far and don't let his ambivalence deter your efforts.
  • tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I say change your doctor. Your doc should be every bit as supportive as any of the other members of your support system. If your doctor can't seem to find the time and/or inclination to take YOUR health and well being seriously then dump 'em!! Find a doctor that will support your lifestyle.
  • TheTeeWhy
    Options
    I say change your doctor. Your doc should be every bit as supportive as any of the other members of your support system. If your doctor can't seem to find the time and/or inclination to take YOUR health and well being seriously then dump 'em!! Find a doctor that will support your lifestyle.
    Really wish I could, I live in a smallish town, and basically everyone who is diabetic, sees him.

My next appointment with him is in 2012, so it would be absolutely amazing to be able to go in there and have legitimate losses to show for it.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Not this last time but the time before when I went to Dr she didn't seemed to impressed by my changes and had me come in again 3 months later for a follow up and in those three months I lost 6lbs (according to them) which then she seemed impressed finally.

I was so upset the time I went before and she got on me about my health and only good thing she said was at least you lost some weight. But the next visit she was like good you lost 6lbs keep up the good work.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Please understand. Not all doctors take the time and mental commitment to look at each patient as a person. They tend to look at them as, for example, sims characters. They don't consider the mental connotation of certain words or actions and are instead just concerned with making your body better. They sometimes don't understand why emotional waves can disrupt progress. After being in the trade for a long time, a doctor's commitment to each individual patient wanes, and they begin to only see situations, not people with conditions who need help.

LMOA @ Sims Characters! I understand your frustration. You shouldn't take it personal though. My doc did the same. I did get made, but then thought, it's my victory, not hers. It's not worth the stress anger brings for this. And I moved on and kept doing what I'm doing. Keep it up though. As long as you see the payoff, that's all that should matter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I have a great doctor. She is constantly amazed at my progress and fully realizes she does not have the training to help people lose weight. She gave a referral to a nutritionist at the beginning, but I decided against it. My problem has never been not knowing how or what to eat, it has been actually doing it. That is something I needed to do on my own, and due to the health problems that started all this, I had plenty of motivation. As I said, she has always been supportive, and if amazed at what I have achieved. She was even very interested in MFP when I told her about it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I went to a new doctor years ago and was going to ask for advice on weight loss. I was about 145 at the time and kinda stuck there.

They had me get on the scale, and as I kicked off my shoes before stepping on, I got an eye roll and, "It's always the skinny ones that do that."

I wasn't overweight, but I was not SKINNY. I'm still not skinny. I've been skinny in the past, and don't want to go there again.

But I didn't want to ask for fitness advice after that. :frown:
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to doctors and now see a nurse practitioner who has her own practice. So many in my family have switched to nurse practitioners. They are more understanding and compassionate.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    My Internist griped at me about my weight at my highest which was @350. She has NEVER made any comments about how much I've lost since then which is kind of depressing. My Kidney Dr, on the other hand, made a big deal out of the fact that I had lost 6 lbs since my last appt with him and told me that was wonderful, and told me my blood pressure was superb, and that by losing, I had averted the possibility of having my blood pressure meds raised, and my kidney labs were almost at normal, and with another couple of pounds would probably be normal! Since that visit, I joined MFP and have lost another 18. Needless to say he is the one dr that I don't mind seeing now.
  • TheTeeWhy
    Options
    I stopped going to doctors and now see a nurse practitioner who has her own practice. So many in my family have switched to nurse practitioners. They are more understanding and compassionate.

Yeah I see my nurse practitioner more often than the main doctor, definitely a better feeling.
  • Beeger79
    Beeger79 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm actually changing doctors for that reason. My previous Dr. was a nice lady, but when I asked about losing weight all I got was "Watch portion sizes."

Wow. Profound, right?

Nothing about how many calories I should be consuming, nothing about types of excercise that would be good for me since I've had back trouble from being 'spinal blocked' four times when I was having my son. Nothing about my triglycerides, cholesterol levels, or blood pressure. Not a peep about what portion sizes should look like, or anything that would really help.

All the information I've gathered has been from my own research and I am doing pretty okay. However, the mental aspect of weight loss gets to me and I'd like some more encouragement, ANY encouragement! When I weighed last, I noticed I'd lost a few pounds, and I got not a word about it. I have gone from 305 to 250 on my own, and have joined this WONDERFUL site to motivate me further, and I'm happy to have found it. . .cause my Dr. had nothing to say about my accomplishment.

I sincerely hope that my previous Dr. is more of the exception than the rule, but from what I hear from others in my community and in my out of state friends. . .it's really not.

The new Dr. I'm going to seems pretty cool. My husband went to him and he seems impressed. The Dr. gave him lots of info on loosing weight, on his cholesterol levels, blood pressure and more. He's encouraged my husband to lose weight and gave him info on how to accomplish it.

May he do the same for me!

Remember guys. . .you deserve to be healthy and happy. Keep on battling the bulge!
  • rae125
    rae125 Posts: 25
    Options
    I worked for a doctor that would refuse to be the doctor to anyone that didn't follow her orders to loose weight. They had a year and if in a year they didn't make progress then she was done with them. To her it was "lack of patient compliance." She spent SO much time working with patients who were overweight, giving them meal/exercise plans, referring them to weight loss clinics/psychologists/support groups, checking them out for medical reasons that they couldn't get fit, etc that it just drove her bonkers to see all her hard work not followed. To her, it was the same thing as someone not taking their high blood pressure meds and then complaining about high blood pressure. I'd like to end on the point that if you lost 2lbs in a month she pretty much did headstands and cartwheels for you (she had her nurse and receptionist do the same).

I'm not saying she was right but I can understand where she was coming from.
  • TheTeeWhy
    Options
    I worked for a doctor that would refuse to be the doctor to anyone that didn't follow her orders to loose weight. They had a year and if in a year they didn't make progress then she was done with them. To her it was "lack of patient compliance." She spent SO much time working with patients who were overweight, giving them meal/exercise plans, referring them to weight loss clinics/psychologists/support groups, checking them out for medical reasons that they couldn't get fit, etc that it just drove her bonkers to see all her hard work not followed. To her, it was the same thing as someone not taking their high blood pressure meds and then complaining about high blood pressure. I'd like to end on the point that if you lost 2lbs in a month she pretty much did headstands and cartwheels for you (she had her nurse and receptionist do the same).

I'm not saying she was right but I can understand where she was coming from.

In this case, since she works hard for her patients, I can see her being somewhat mad about people not following her guidance
  • ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    I worked with doctors for years. Even went to them till I had enough. I changed and went to a D.O. I will never change back! The D.O. we have is great! She doesn't try to overdose you with medications but tries to find alternative methods. This is not saying she doesn't give you medicine when you need it. But she does listen and does encourage you to be the best you can. She also does not lecture. Her attitude is I work for you and you pay me. So
  • TheTeeWhy
    Options
    Ill say one good thing about my Doctor, he got me into contact with a good dermatologist whom i otherwise would have waited years to see(even though shes in the same city) And got my terrible acne problem cleared up real nicely so... i do have to thank him for that
  • ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    sorry hit the wrong button. So next time you see your doctor get his attention when he first comes in let him know what you need and what you expect from him. BOTTOM LINE IS YOU ARE PAYING HIM. Also remember you are doing this and have put the right foot forward. You are now With a great group of people. Here you will find all the support, help and motivation you need. Together WE CAN DO THIS. You are doing this for you and that is a GREAT START! Welcome