10lb in First Month - Water Weight?

Options
Hi, I've been logging for 30 days and after weighing this morning I've lost 10 pounds (150 > 140) in the last 30 days, despite my goal being 1lb a week.
I've heard that the first few pounds lost are generally "water weight" - is this likely the case?
I have my settings on sedentary, thought I work in a lab and tend to be on my feet a fair bit, so many I should adjust my settings? I also cycle into work, though I record the journey.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would say it is mostly water weight. You could up your activity level to slightly active, if you think you losing too fast or start to really hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    a good chunk is likely water, but it's hard to say since you don't have any more data points to analyze...weight loss generally starts to "normalize" after the first couple of weeks...

i was set up to lose 1 Lb per week and my calorie allowance ended up being too low and I was losing closer to 2 Lbs per week so I manually upped them...but I had plenty of data points to analyze when I did that. One thing you do have to keep in mind is that these calculators are just reasonably good estimates based on population averages...the numbers aren't gospel and you need to track the trends and make adjustments as necessary.

I think it's difficult to really see what's going on if you're only weighing in monthly...not data to analyze.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As you noted, it is likely water and glycogen loss. Keep going and the weight loss will normalise.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks of 'dieting', you are likely to experience a WHOOOOOSH of weight loss. I too lost 10lbs in my first month. This *was* mostly 'water weight' but don't let that stop you from celebrating a tremendous success! Well done :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 10 in the first month too. I have no idea if this has normalized. I worry that the week I start eating to maintenance calories I am facing a 10 pound weight gain. :(
  • Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I GAINED 10 lbs in a month last year. And I still have it. It wasn't water weight! I have a record of what I ate. If you check your diary you can estimate with diet and exercise records to see whether the weight is real.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight. I list 8 lbs my first week and 4 pounds the following week, but after that my weight loss was evened out