Going to the beach.

Options
We leave for the beach in a week. I'm a little nervous since we will be eating out for at least dinner and maybe a breakfast or two. I plan to take my normal breakfast and pack lunches. I just started eating better about 4 weeks ago. We don't usually eat at the big chain resturants so I'm not going to be able to find all the nutritional facts. What are some good options?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Walk lots at the beach ... and swim if you can.
    Rent bicycles and go for a ride.

If you exercise lots, that'll free you up to eat a bit more. Don't go crazy but at least you'll have some extra calories to work with.

As for figure out what to eat, you can look up recipes online to get an estimate. Most places publish some sort of menu online these days, so I pick something, then do a search for a recipe that sounds sort of similar. Then I guess that they're serving me at least 2 servings, not just one.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    just common sense. grilled better than fried, baked potato better than french fries, grilled chicken salads, beaches usually have good seafood. substitute veggies carbs for carbs like pasta if possible. you don't have to eat everything on the plate. light beers instead of craft beers or other high cal drinks. etc. enjoy a good meal or two while you are there and don't sweat it. its just a small period of time in your weight loss journey...just don't let it derail you when you return home.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like the person above me said, just use comments sense. If yall go to breakfast someplace, get something like eggs or other healthy options. Lunch look for grilled, salads, baked, broiled, blackened...main thing to try and not eat or only a little is fried food.
    If yall are considering fast food that can easily be looked up on Google or there website to get nutritional info.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Grilled meats, vegetables/salad, vinaigrette dressings
    Water, unsweetened teas
    Eggs, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt
    Order smaller portions or share if the portions are too big.
    Find something similar in the database so you can log. It won't be as accurate but will give you an idea.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan so that is a great first step. I do similar to what you're planning when I travel. I try to keep breakfast & lunch similar to what I'd eat at home. Then, look to fill up on lean protein & clean veggies at dinner. And, if it's a vacation I am usually more active than I am at home but even if I'm traveling for work I get some walks or hotel gym workouts in.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. No more than one roll per meal, eat only part of a pasta portion, split dessert, limit alcohol. Last week MFP had a blog on estimating portion sizes. You should still be able to find it on your feed or find something similar on the web. That should help you keep on track.