BOOZE

Options
I seem to be doing ok and pretty much eat in moderation and don't deprive myself of anything, but when it comes to the BOOZE I really struggle. To start with I went from my usual wine consumption to G&T because it was less calories but after the first 7lb loss I craved wine again. I also find myself exercising more or eating less just so I can have my wine. Yes GOOD because I'm on or under par but BAD because surely this isn't the way forward. So now that I've mastered the hankering for food, how can I curb the BOOZE??

Replies

• anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is one of my big weaknesses as well. I try to make different plans where I know I won't be tempted to drink or my go to drink is now blueberry stoli or other flavored vodka mixed w water then I have crystal light lemonade packets out w me. One packet makes about 3 mixed drinks. One shot of the vodka is approx 60 calories so not horrible and it tastes amazing!
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    thanks anhaab. I really need to try something especially now the weather is getting better and there are lots of bar b's and beach socials to go to :-s
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    great Idea with the crystal light. Never thought of it. I just got some diet cherry 7up. but I always feel yucky after all the soda.

:drinker:
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Options
    A tricky one. My favourite beer is around 140 calories a tin, so I do 45 mins on my exercise bike on my so called day of rest to burn 700 calories, just so I can have a drink without it burning into my days allowance. I think they call it the pleasure pain thing lol
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I loved wine and drank it alot. I had to just quit buying it. The calories are horrible plus it seemed to make me hungrier. I have found that if I have a drink, it makes my workouts the next day so much harder, plus I cannot get my heart rate up where it needs to be. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Total feel for you.

Now that I am more or less in maintenance mode, I drink regularly. But to lose, I pretty much had to cut it out. Which basically meant giving up my social life, as much of our activities involve at least moderate alcohol consumption. For me the desire to reach a healthy weight and feel better about myself was worth the trade off. The strength and determination to succeed is within each of us. The hard part is deciding that we want it bad enough.

Remember it doesn't have to be perminant, and for the times you really need a mental break the crystal light actually is tasty. Or go with what you love, and have a few glasses of wine. But ultimately even if you are meeting your calories, alcohol makes it more difficult to lose.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this myself, I am actually a Beer drinker or a whiskey drinker. The crystal light with vodka is not bad. I had not drank anything in 3 weeks to get some of my weight down then last weekend for the holiday I drank Captian Morgan and Coke Zero and did ok. I made my drinks with 1/2 shots. Then on Monday I drank beer and gained 3 lbs. Thankfully it was all waterweight and now gone. I think if you do it in moderation it wont effect you to much
  • cookycurry
    Options
    Hi what are crystal light lemonade packets ? Do you live in the UK?? Cos I have never heard of them but sounds a great idea - if you dont get caught- think it would be frowned upon if I added them in my pub!

Cheers/
    I like lager but am going to have to change to wine or shorts - but then I will have to be VERY careful about getting drunk :(
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I too haven't heard of crystal lemonade but was going to find the British equivalent.
    Thanks everyone for not making me feel alone and all good advice.
    Like you said I need to weigh up the pleasure of wine V weightloss grrr
    I find booze features greatly in my social life and I don't want to give up the feeling I get when I'm out for a meal sharing wine, or just getting greatly tipsy so I can dance like nobodys watching haha I dont mind the workout next day but I hate working extra hard just so I can enjoy a glass or 2. Hmmmph
  • anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi what are crystal light lemonade packets ? Do you live in the UK?? Cos I have never heard of them but sounds a great idea - if you dont get caught- think it would be frowned upon if I added them in my pub!

Cheers/
    I like lager but am going to have to change to wine or shorts - but then I will have to be VERY careful about getting drunk :(

I live in the US, it's made by Kraft Foods - http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystallight. If I'm at home I will use Sprite Zero w/ the flavored vodka but most restaurants/bars don't have it.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Give yourself a caloric limit before you start drinking, and don't break it. Decide your drinks and look up the calories before you go to the bar, and see if it's worth it. There are low calorie beers and wines, the good news is now you can go out and experiment to see which one you like.

I used to drink a lot, but since I've stopped I've noticed I sleep a lot better. If I treat myself to a glass of wine or beer, it disrupts my sleeping schedule for over a week... and for me and training, it is not worth it. Maybe if you take a break you'll notice similar negative things that make it less desirable.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    Thanks muchmovement that sounds like a good idea, only problem with me is I think about what events I have coming up and whether or not i would like a drink at them. hmmmph I have 2 weddings this month so I know already I'm thinking I'll quit it starting next month.
  • mommywhorebucks
    Options
    I've always been fine as long as I stick to vodka + soda, or vodka martinis. Can be boring, but gin/tonic is loaded with calories and sugar! When I go out to dinner, I'll have a really nice glass of red wine - and if I'm paying, I'll get the best glass they have, so I won't be tempted to pay another $16+.