Nutrition for best weight loss results?

Options
With so many different nutritional plans I need to find something that works best for me, not having luck "sticking" with one. I am looking for something that is a lifestyle change not a "diet". What's best... Paleo, WW, low carb, low fat, Keto or just plain calorie counting? Suggestions / experiences

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I like to eat what I want, so I practice calorie counting and fit what I want to eat in my daily allotment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    cwraney wrote: »
    With so many different nutritional plans I need to find something that works best for me, not having luck "sticking" with one. I am looking for something that is a lifestyle change not a "diet". What's best... Paleo, WW, low carb, low fat, Keto or just plain calorie counting? Suggestions / experiences

I've done WW and South Beach. I prefer MFP and just focusing on foods that satiate me, which for me is a little more protein and less carbs than MFP's default macros. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I like MFP because I can eat WHATEVER I want.
    as long as it fits into my daily allowance.
    Plans with points aren't teaching you anything about the real reason you lose weight - being calories in vs calories out...
    I mean free fruit and vegetables? You can still WAY over eat calories in those, and not lose or worse GAIN because of it...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss, so the plan makes it easiest for you to adhere to a calorie deficit is the best plan. There is no one-size-fits-all here. Look at the foods that you enjoy, and stick to a plan that incorporates those foods.

I personally prefer IIFYM/flexible dieting. Eating all of the foods that I like in moderation helps me stick to my calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

"Best" is going to be completely relative to the individual.

Personally, I focus on solid nutrition and a well rounded, balanced diet...lots of whole grains, legumes, whole food starches, tons of veg, some fruit, lean sourced protein, and good fats from things like nuts and avocados and good cooking oils. That's about 90% of my diet...the other 10% is some "junk" food here and there...a little desert in the evening...pizza night with the family once or twice per month, etc.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I like to eat what I want, so I practice calorie counting and fit what I want to eat in my daily allotment.

So much this. Just weigh and log your food accurately. Finding any kind of exercise you enjoy helps with weight loss, too, but also makes you feel better.

For the purposes of losing weight, it's all about your portions fitting into your calorie goals. I'm close to losing 90lbs now, and while I've eaten my fair share of broccoli and other veggies, I'm also enjoying pizza, wings and ice cream. What I don't do is go over my calorie goal. This is truly sustainable for me.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like at a calorie deficit. The only plan that will work will be the one you can stick to. Try to find out which foods keep you full longest and get plenty of protein and healthy fats. Don't make it to restrictive.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

The food that you can eat forever- that is a lifestyle change.
    Calorie counting allows you to eat all the things in moderation.

Elimination diets/highly restrictive arent for everyone and many dont do it "forever".

Learn to eat the food you like (and by all means try new things) and log- get that down first. If you then choose to try less carbs with more fat because on those high fat days you are fuller longer - then experiment with that. Etc.

Being able to eat all food types and still be successful in losing and maintaining is the ultimate goal. (for most) :)

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You need to find what works for you. It has to be something that you can stick to long term and work with your lifestyle. Too many times people think if they follow a specific plan (WW, South Beach, Paleo....) they will lose and yes they will, but only because of a calorie deficit. I am another IIFYMer and I chose this because I can eat what ever I want as long as it fits my macros. Through this I have a new appreciation for my diet and eat healthy 80% of the time and the only 20% I can use towards a "treat" (ice cream, cookies, wine). It allows for me to be flexible so I can enjoy myself when I go out and there is no "can't have this/that".
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    IIFYM - If it fits your macros. I don't eliminate any foods - I just make them fit. If I try to eliminate something that makes me want it even more. You need a certain amount of protein, carbs and fats to be healthy. Protein for muscles, carbs for energy and fats for hormone balance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Unfortunately none of us can tell you what's best for you. I may have had the absolute best & easiest success on diet X, but if you tried diet X,you would fail miserably. The best advice I can give is the same as with almost any dietary advice...eat more fruits and vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, healthy fats and quality protein sources, reduce refined carbs, find your trigger food/drink that causes you to over eat & manage/limit those.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    What is best?

Whatever makes you feel full, that you can stick with long term. That is the best plan for you.

What kinds of food fills you up, should be your starting point. For some it is proteins and fat, for others it is carbs whilst for some it does not matter.