Pork Chops

Options
ashley516
ashley516 Posts: 63 Member
I'm going to be making some pork chops tomorrow night and I have no idea what to do with them. Growing up every single time (seriously) we had pork chops my mom put mushroom soup on them and that's what I've done since I've been cooking on my own since it's all I really know, but a) it's probably not the healthiest option and b) my boyfriend hates it, sooooo ideas? :)

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Were having these tonight for dinner.:bigsmile:

APPLESAUCE PORK CHOPS
    I take 4-6 chops, sear them on each side in a frying pan for a few minutes, remove te pork chops, place them in a casserole dish. In the same pan after removing pork chops sautee garlic finely copped, about a tbsp. Then add 3c water, 1/3c flour, a pinch of salt and pepper, to the garlic, Mix well until it thickens then add about 2cups (or more if you'd like of applesauce) and a tbsp of lemon juice, pour it over the pork chops, sprinkle some cinnamon over the top, and toss a few cloves in. I also slice up an apple or 2 and throw it into the casserole dish, cook at 350 degrees for 1hr- 1 1/2hrs. My oven is a little bonkers, so you realy just have to keep an eye on it once the timer reaches an hour!! Enjoy!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Oooopsie, posted twice for whatever reason, lol.:wink:
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, have you tried just baking them with a little salt and pepper or just frying them in a non-stick pan with some seasoning? To me pork chops don't necessarily need much "dressing up." I like them alone or with a little applesauce to swirl the pieces in. Just don't overcook them, which makes them dry.

You can also pair them well with any kind of fruit, in my opinion. I love them with cranberry sauce, or mango salsa. Or marinate them in a little soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.

They make a great stir-fry with broccoli too. I have a wonderful recipe somewhere if you want it.
  • ashley516
    ashley516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try both of those. I've never tried them with anything other than mushroom soup, ever. :)
  • Christine42012
    Options
    I like to take my pork chops and toss some Mrs. Dash (garlic and herb is my fav) on it and bake them for 15-20! Super yummy on brown rice with the same Mrs. Dash cooked into it, Just add a good veg like squash and TaDa Yummy meal! We also just toss them into a crockpot with some carrots onions and baby red potatoes for roast like taste without the roast fat :)
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    Heres one thats really good if you feel like going all out

Quick Pork Saute with Blackberries

4 servings
    Active Time: 25 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    4 4-ounce boneless pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1/3 cup finely chopped shallot, (1 large)
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
    1/2 cup port, or brewed black tea
    1/2 cup black currant nectar, blackberry or blueberry juice
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 1/2 teaspoons water
    1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed blackberries,
    2 teaspoons butter

Preparation
    1.Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. (Do not wash skillet.)
    2.Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add shallot and thyme; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add port (or tea), black currant nectar (or blackberry or blueberry juice), broth and vinegar; bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes to reduce sauce and intensify flavor.
    3.Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Add to the sauce and stir until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add blackberries and butter. Simmer, stirring, just until the butter has melted. Return the pork chops and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with sauce. Serve immediately.

NutritionPer serving: 264 calories; 8 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 57 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 624 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 1

Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I bought pork chops for next week and was wondering what to do with them!
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    This sounds weird but I marinate them in an equal mixture of mustard and some sort of jelly, usually grape. Then I cook it in a pan with no oil and the rest of the sauce. It's pretty delish.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My mom gave me this recipe and it's great. Cook your pork in a skillet with chili powder on it. When it is finished cooking, transfer it to a baking pan. Add 2 cans stewed tomatoes and 1 can water. Finally add 2 c. minute rice. Bake for about an hour. It comes out nice and tender and you have a side dish of Spanish rice.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Pork chops are a staple in our house (husband can't eat chicken). I make them in stir fry, fried rice, curry, with apples, balsamic cranberry sauce (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Tenderloin-with-Balsamic-Cranberry-Sauce-100314), and grilled, just to name a few.

A great marinade for pork and chicken is soy sauce, ketchup, garlic, ginger and honey.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    BBQ sauce and grill. YUMMO!!!!!!!!!!!
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    Options
    Put porkchops in baking dish, peel an apple and cut into slices, place on chops, slice some onion, throw that on top of the chops, sprinkle each chop with a little brown sugar and bake, super delicious and easy!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I go for an argiano pork coating -

mix some sage, rosemary, thyme and olive oil and rub over the chops. Then fry.