Oatmeal/Porridge love

JShailen
JShailen Posts: 184 Member
Apologies in advance, I looked through the first few pages for an oats appreciation thread but didn't see one.

Anyway, todays oatmeal was so lovely I had to share :)

Lemon-Avocado Oats

Oats- 45 grams
Avocado- about 50 grams (or half a medium avocado, pureed)
Chia seeds- 10 grams
nutmeg
cinnamon
salt
200-300 mls liquid of choice (I used light soya milk & water)
microwave or cook on stove top till desired consistency is reached
top with;
pumpkin seeds- 15 grams
lemon juice
honey- 20 grams (adjust as needed)

I added the spices and salt without weighing or measuring, if you're using dairy milk you may not need or want as much salt as if you're using non dairy milk.

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    I'm in a deep love with overnight oats. <3
  • aparker81
    aparker81 Posts: 1 Member
    1/2 C quick oats
    1/2 C vanilla almond milk
    1/2 T peanut butter
    1/2 T light chocolate syrup
    one dash of salt
    Microwave for 1.5 minutes then consider adding a sliced banana on top.
  • JShailen
    Banana + nutella works well too <3
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I love oatmeal, but the calories get too high for the amounts I need to be satisfied. I've been making overnight oats and I have to split the "1 serving" into 2 because I can't deal with 350 calories for a bowl of oatmeal that merely puts me in the "not hungry" category of hunger. I've even tried making it with water and it's not the same.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I LOVE savory (as opposed to sweet) oatmeal/ hot cereal concocations!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I love oatmeal, but the calories get too high for the amounts I need to be satisfied. I've been making overnight oats and I have to split the "1 serving" into 2 because I can't deal with 350 calories for a bowl of oatmeal that merely puts me in the "not hungry" category of hunger. I've even tried making it with water and it's not the same.

What do you make yours with?

I make mine with 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp chia seeds. It's calorie hefty but tides me over from around 8am until 11:30am lunch.
  • JShailen

Generally I need to add seeds, nut butter, or an egg to be satisfied with oatmeal. The combination makes it pretty filling for me though. If I just had it without those additions, I agree I wouldn't be happy...saying that, I think I usually spend about 400-ish calories on a bowl
  • shortylook
    shortylook Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2016
    I love overnight oats.
    45 grams quaker oats
    15 grams Black chia seeds
    1 banana sliced
    200ml of Almari Laban( saudi arabian milk I am addicted to it)
    sometimes i leave out the banana and add a few rasberries.
    its delicious in the morning at 7.30. keeps me going till lunch time
    417 calories too for got to mention that bit
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

I'm right there with you. I need to add over 200 calories of stuff to make it edible, lol.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I love overnight oats too. I use 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk (try choc almond milk too), 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 tablespoon honey, sprinkle of cinnamon and salt. I do agree it can get pricey on the calories but on days I have a good workout planned for after work I like 300+ calories for breakfast. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Today I used steel cut oats, whole milk, and Quest protein powder... 430 calories. We'll see how long it keeps me full (I had an apple too afterwards - I was still a bit hungry and apples always make my meals fill me up longer). Got to admit that it was tastier using whole milk than what I've used in the past (1% milk or almond milk)... but we'll have to see if it was worth the 100 extra calories.

My goal is 1800 though so that's usually about right for me.
  • JShailen
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Today I used steel cut oats, whole milk, and Quest protein powder... 430 calories. We'll see how long it keeps me full (I had an apple too afterwards - I was still a bit hungry and apples always make my meals fill me up longer). Got to admit that it was tastier using whole milk than what I've used in the past (1% milk or almond milk)... but we'll have to see if it was worth the 100 extra calories.

My goal is 1800 though so that's usually about right for me.

I've never been successful adding protein powder to Oatmeal which is why I resort to seeds to push the protein up. It may be the protein powder I use but it never mixes well and it ends up ruining the whole meal. I've never tried quest powder though, not sure if you can get it in the UK.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Oatmeal is love, oatmeal is life. I now rely on oatmeal for every single breakfast I have, usually a honey + ground flaxseed combination, but my boyfriend eats it with blueberry + banana + ground flaxseed.

I also have a book of 90 oatmeal recipes, made into various dishes (even main courses!). Unfortunately it's in a foreign language, but if anyone's interested I can translate it and post a few here.
  • gyst
    gyst Posts: 20 Member
    I love savory oatmeal! Lately I've been using a 1/2 c. dried quick oats, a cup of water, one egg, and 2 TBSP red pepper hummus. My SO thinks it's weird but I love it. I just crack the egg into the water/oats and pop in the microwave for 1.5 min then add the hummus. I agree that oats without a nut butter or an egg isn't filling. I love all the overnight oats ideas here.
  • JShailen
    gyst wrote: »
    I love savory oatmeal! Lately I've been using a 1/2 c. dried quick oats, a cup of water, one egg, and 2 TBSP red pepper hummus. My SO thinks it's weird but I love it. I just crack the egg into the water/oats and pop in the microwave for 1.5 min then add the hummus. I agree that oats without a nut butter or an egg isn't filling. I love all the overnight oats ideas here.

I enjoy savory oatmeal but never tried it like that. My go to is with an egg over easy, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I'll have to try it sometime with hummus.