OFFICE LIFE

Options
How do you stay fit in an office?
I work from about 730-4 in an office. Most of it is computer work. its very time consuming. Allot of meetings back to back with only 10min breaks if that. I dont want to remain sitting all day, but i cant have a standing desk. what kind of short activities are there?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    take those 10 min and walk whenever you can, even if it's just going to a restroom on the other side of the building instead of the one near you...parking in the way back of the lot...taking the stairs...etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Workout before and/or after work
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some activity trackers can buzz you when you've been sitting too long. These are great for tracking goals.

You might stand up while on the phone, take a bathroom break (the long way, up the stairs, what have you). Refill a water glass. Park further from your office. Do some bathroom squats or wall push ups. This won't make you "fit" but it's better than sitting all day.

On your lunch break - put on some sneakers & take a walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    To stay fit I set aside time daily for deliberate moderate to high intensity exercise.

As far as my general activity goes I make sure I get up every hour and do some stretching. I often will walk to a colleagues office or cubicle if I have a question rather than emailing or paging them on the phone. I take the stairs (I work on the third floor). I don't look for rock star parking at the office or when I'm out at the grocery store or whatever...a little extra walking is good. I throw in some body weight squats and/or push-ups every few hours or so to get the blood moving...

Also, I try to avoid sitting around too much when I get home...I try to find something to do...my wife and I trade off cooking nights so cooking nights keep me up and busy...otherwise I find something to fix, clean, or mow/pick, etc...I don't really sit down when I get home until dinner is ready around 8:30/9:00 and we sit down to watch a show. My wife and I also watch very little television...about 30 minutes per night...sometimes an hour.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I get up every hour and do a loop around the office. I also use the restroom on a different floor so I get some stairs in. If I don't have a meeting over lunch I take a quick walking break outside to get some sun in too. It's not much but it's the little things that add up.

I had a friend who worked at a call center for awhile and she used an under the desk bike (you can pick them up at Target pretty inexpensively) and she would pedal under her desk to get some movement in.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    take those 10 min and walk whenever you can, even if it's just going to a restroom on the other side of the building instead of the one near you...parking in the way back of the lot...taking the stairs...etc.

I also work 7:30-4pm :) I don't get a lot of exercise at work at all, so I tend to go for long walks in the evening once it cools down outside a little, like around 6pm-7pm. I also walk home from work sometimes.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    jonnucke wrote: »
    I work from about 730-4 in an office. Most of it is computer work. its very time consuming. Allot of meetings back to back with only 10min breaks if that. I dont want to remain sitting all day, but i cant have a standing desk. what kind of short activities are there?

Everytime I go to the bathroom I do 100 body weight squats. Helps to keep the circulation going in my legs. Run for 15-20 minutes in the morning or after work and lift. It will help!
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Every hour to hour and a half I try to get up and go for a walk. The water cooler for me is upstairs so that's a good excuse for me to go for a walk, climb some stairs and drink more water through out the day!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You don't. You do your work, be presentable, etc, maybe go for a walk during your break, and find something to do in your off time.

This. Though I do manage to squeeze in some walking during the work day: I take a 15 minute walk break in the morning, which works out to one mile. Then every time I get up to go to the bathroom, I walk around the building. That works out to 1/3 mile. So, if I go to the bathroom three times I've walked another mile. But all of my real exercise is before or after work.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am primarily inactive during my working hours. I do use the stairs instead of the elevator. If the weather is good, I walk for a couple of blocks during my lunch hour.

I'm in office from 6.30am to 4pm most days. I workout on evenings or night doing endurance cardio or lifting.

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    A lot of people at my work go for a short walk on their lunch break.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    9 hours per day at a desk right here, so I understand!

I get .60 of mile walked on my 10 minute breaks, twice per day. So that's 120 minutes of walking each week.

Also, I live pretty close to home so I go home and indoor bike while watching tv :smile:
    I keep hard candy at my desk too, that really helps.
    Some of my co-workers are in this with me, so that really helps to keep me motivated.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I found a gym very near my office and work out on my lunch most days. I have an hour, so I spend half of it in the gym and half of it getting to/from and making myself presentable again. It's not a perfect solution but I can at least get a short strength training session in or run 3-4 miles.

I also don't drive to work. I used to walk when I lived 15 blocks from the office but now that I'm about 4 miles, I ride my bike when there's no snow and walk/public transit when the weather's bad. ~8 miles putzing along on my single-speed bike isn't really intense exercise either but it's a lot better than sitting, and the ~15 minute walk to and from the train station is also a little better than nothing IMO.

I don't really do anything else with my workday but I do make exercise a priority when I'm not at my desk, both with the things I mentioned above and with 2x/week runs before work, a long run on the weekend, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    You don't. You do your work, be presentable, etc, maybe go for a walk during your break, and find something to do in your off time.

As an employer I approve of this message.

I run a business and I work out on my own time (and I probably spend more time in the office than most employees ever would...)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a desk job, mostly at my desk...walking is just going to lunch, going to a meeting (where I sit), going to the bathroom etc. The way I get around that is that I walk to and from work even though i don't live very close at all (I live about 6 miles away). I'd agree though that your hours at work aren't really your hours to do whatever you want to do in so if your job is to work at a desk then you are going to be working at a desk, can't really avoid that. Workout time is going to be on your own time.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I work in the office, I work out at the gym on campus on my lunch. When I work from home, I work out at the gym across the street on my lunch, or before/after work. When the weather cools down (which, for me in AZ is around 90 degrees) I go for a 5k-ish walk a couple nights a week as well. 7:30-4 work schedule leaves you with a lot of free time, honestly. It's just a matter of making the time for it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    jonnucke wrote: »

Walk or cycle as part of your commute.
    If you've got stairs, climb them on your breaks.
    Walk at lunch.
    Take the long way around the photocopier.
    Stand during the meetings.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I walk on both my 15 min breaks and the entirety of my 45 minute lunch. That is helping to burn several calories.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

^^^

I go for short walks and do a little stretching at my desk when I can, but aside from that I plan my workout schedule for after work and on weekends.