Weight loss with type 1 diabetes and under active thyroid

Options
Anyone on here managed to lose the weight despite those medical conditions and if so do you have any tips? I am 28, have an under active thyroid and type 1 diabetes and am really struggling to lose the last stone. It doesn't matter if i work out or not or if i watch what i eat i seem stuck at the same weight which is killing my motivation. Thanks in advance

Replies

• blaziansong
    blaziansong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice to offer unfortunately, but I do wonder if my thyroid is an issue. I have struggled for years (usually unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm 31 now and it just seems like stubborn fat! I hope someone offers you answers. If they do, please share!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sure, lots of people here with those conditions. Hopefully they will post.

Meanwhile, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Aplcr
    Aplcr Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for a decade. Once its under control its not an hindrance to losing weight at all. I take 200mcg per day and my levels are good. It won't slow you down.

Here's what The American Thyroid Association says about underactive Thyroid:

"Hypothyroidism can cause a mild weight gain of 5 to 20 pounds, but does not cause obesity. People who have gained a lot of weight should find the real cause. People with hypothyroidism who are started on the right thyroxine dose will not suddenly lose weight, but they should find it easier to lose weight if they try. People who take too high of a thyroxine dose in the hope of rapid weight loss can weaken their muscles and bones and damage the heart—all of which can make it harder to exercise. Worse yet, a high dose of thyroxine can cause increased hunger. So instead of losing weight, people may gain weight. People with a normal TSH should never take thyroxine pills for weight loss."

That's actually good news. You can move on to maybe finding answers from Diabetics about how to lose weight with that disease.

You're thyroid is not a problem, especially if you are taking your medications regularly. Thyroid is not an excuse for why you cannot lose weight, once you clear that out of your mind there's less likely to be any mental blocks to your success.

Once I changed my diet and quit putting too much (crappy) food into my mouth I lost weight just like someone without Hypothyroidism.

That's one thing eliminated from your question. Find a life changing way to eat healthy foods that works with Diabetes and get going (Diets sucks, remove that word from your vocabulary). Good luck to you!