I live alone and need advice about bread!

Options
Hey folks! I live by myself, so I've always had a problem getting through a loaf of bread before it went bad anyway. Now that I'm being more careful about what I eat it's become even more of a challenge! I'm wondering if any of you have frozen bread before and if it still tastes good when you thaw it out? Unless some company starts making half-loaves of bread for single people, freezing it might be my only option!

Replies

• Living_Barefoot
    Living_Barefoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I always freeze my bread to keep it longer lol, it tastes the same to me!
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! I live by myself, so I've always had a problem getting through a loaf of bread before it went bad anyway. Now that I'm being more careful about what I eat it's become even more of a challenge! I'm wondering if any of you have frozen bread before and if it still tastes good when you thaw it out? Unless some company starts making half-loaves of bread for single people, freezing it might be my only option!

I freeze mine and it seems to taste the same to me!
  • drogheda1
    drogheda1 Posts: 57
    Options
    Same here....i also sometimes buy half loaves
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yep, I always freeze bread! Not sure if you're in the UK but you can get half loaves over here too. :smile:
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    I always freeze mine, then take out how many slices I need - it only takes minutes to defrost....always tastes good to me :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you freeze it for a really long time it can get a little dry, but it's not too bad. And that's for a REALLY long time. I regularly buy 2 loaves, stick one in the freezer, and pull it back out when I'm done with the first loaf, and it's always really fresh. As long as you freeze it right when you bring it home, it should be good.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Freeze it girl, it's all good!
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't find that the taste is that much different but I do have a suggestion for you. Buy sprouted grain bread. It does not contain any flour and tastes really great. I've been able to store mine in the fridge and it's good for up to 10 days.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I've spent my whole life eating bread that was frozen first. Tastes perfectly fine.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - and more - if there is a loaf of bread I won't stop eating till it is done - one of my trigger foods!

I buy a loaf of lovely 5 grain sourdough bread - slice it up - and freeze it - 2 slices per bag - pop the bag out of freezer - slices straight into the toaster - works perfectly :-)
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    I have a big family and growing up my dad would buy 4 or 5 loaves of bread and freeze most of them. They are just as good when you thaw them!
  • okaypanda
    okaypanda Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can keep it in the fridge or freezer, and it should be okay. Also, if you live by yourself, consider buying fresh buns (1 or 2) inside of sliced bread. Check out the bakery section of your local grocer, and see what varieties they have.
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Same here....i also sometimes buy half loaves
    Half loaves? I've not seen them, but just a couple weeks ago I was saying that someone needed to start carrying them because of this vary reason.. a single person has trouble going through an entire loaf of bread in time.
  • bwilcox30
    bwilcox30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I buy it in bulk and have been freezing it for years. I make sure that I thaw it on the counter (thoroughly) and it always tastes great.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Same here. I freeze my bread all the time. I buy from Costco for a family of 4 and freezing the bread works out great!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i live alone. you just freeze it lol.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I freeze bread and it comes out fine. I just take slices out of the freezer as I need them. I do the same thing with buns and bagels, etc.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We keep ours in the fridge. It extends the life quite a bit.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep! I freeze it and then to thaw, just put it in the fridge. I usually toast my bread for sandwiches (or panini-ify it in my panini maker) but today I had a slice untoasted and it was just fine, having been thawed out a few days ago. You could put half the loaf in a ziploc and freeze it 'til you're ready for it.
  • diegelman
    diegelman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you have a trader joe's near you, they have smaller sized loaves. I freeze bread all the time and it's fine, just don't nuke it; it will get hard.