Do anti biotics cause weight gain?

Options
Ive been on anti biotics for 9days now and i feel fat, bloated and have gained a few lbs! Could these be the cause?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Put simply No.
    Eating more calories than you burn will cause weight gain.
    That's it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Long-course antibiotic treatment can cause digestive issues by wiping out your intestinal flora. Whether or not those digestive issues lead to water retention or not I don't really know but regardless it has no effect on fat retention. If anything you are going to end up losing weight (in terms of fat) because you aren't going to be able to digest your food as well.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Maybe when i come off them il be back to normal! Thank u guys
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comments. And it can cause your belly to swell if you have disrupted microbiome and are not able to digest foods.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Ok thanks for the advice :wink:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Put simply No.
    That's it.
    That is not it..... You need to read more.

OP, I'm on a triple course of antibiotics now, with the usual diarrhea and other not so nice side effects - and I am very bloated and actually showed a 4lbs gain this morning.....Water weight, it will be gone hopefully after a week or so....
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Put simply No.
    That's it.

Not to derail this conversation but this annoys the *kitten* out of me. A caloric surplus is NOT the only possible cause of weight gain. My husband went to urgent care because he couldn't stop coughing and had gained a lot of weight really quickly. At first they treated him like crap. Just another fat diabetic guy who eats too much, right? Turns out he was in kidney failure and was carrying around 45 POUNDS of fluid. The human body can accommodate a *kitten* ton of fluid, and different things can make you hang onto more than usual either short term or long term.

Gaining a few pounds in nine days says nothing about a person's eating habits. Especially if they have been sick. So just *kitten* stop with this.

I think they were referring to fat gain not water retention.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Put simply No.
    That's it.

Not to derail this conversation but this annoys the *kitten* out of me. A caloric surplus is NOT the only possible cause of weight gain. My husband went to urgent care because he couldn't stop coughing and had gained a lot of weight really quickly. At first they treated him like crap. Just another fat diabetic guy who eats too much, right? Turns out he was in kidney failure and was carrying around 45 POUNDS of fluid. The human body can accommodate a *kitten* ton of fluid, and different things can make you hang onto more than usual either short term or long term.

Gaining a few pounds in nine days says nothing about a person's eating habits. Especially if they have been sick. So just *kitten* stop with this.

She said WEIGHT gain...... which can happen due to water retention.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    If u feel the need to say harsh things on here please dont comment, people like u r negative,, i only asked a damn question do calm down!!!
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Thnk astrampe for ur comment.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    They do cause weight gain in mice, and it's suspected they may do the same in humans :

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/08/14/early-antibiotics-change-gut-microbes-fuel-obesity/

When I've had to do a course of antibiotics, I've alway followed it with a couple of weeks of probiotics to make up for the flora I've killed off. They make a probiotic mix, in fact, specifically for people who are on antibiotics.
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Put simply No.
    That's it.

She said WEIGHT gain...... which can happen due to water retention.

Exactly. I get tired of the whole "you gained a few pounds? You MUST be eating more than you are admitting to." It doesn't work that way. A person can gain a lot of weight without gaining any fat.