Are All BCAA's the Same? Opinions on BCAA's Welcome.

Options
Currently I use Amino-X BCAA's, typically 1 scoop x day before or during a work out. I've seen a ton of different amino acids advertised and I'm wondering if they are all the same, or if the brand/quality really makes a difference like it does with protein. Also, I know the standard for dosage varies - a lot of people suggest taking BCAA's 2 x day and the timing varies also (before/during/after a work out) so I was wondering what methods you guys personally use! Looking forward to your feedback.

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I am curious as well. I currently take Optimum Nutrition 1gram x 3 3 x's a day. I did a little reading and found that they "work" better on an empty stomach 2 1/2 hours after a meal, so I try to do that. I take them in a coctail with Glutamine 1g as well.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use xtend. The use of BCAA's can bring about controversial discussions in some venues.

While they are truly not necessary I do use them intra while Im pushing plates. They do reduce fatigue as far as I can tell as I dont subscribe to anything being placebo as I know how I feel with and without using them.

Different companies put them out in different ratios on the combinations.

SUPPOSEDLY the best ones on the market are said to be from USPlabs Modern BCAA which boasts a 8:1:1 Leucine/Isoleucine/Valine BCAA ratio that is said to be the most beneficial...take it with a grain of salt.

Now Ill really blow your mind. Its said that BCAAS are made from human hair and duck feathers...do I care...no I just thought id share.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use xtend as well purely because it tastes amazing. Pre & post workout until I break my fast around noon.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    maybe
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    From Examine.com:
    BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more).

If you fall below that protein threshold, in my mind you're better off supplementing with more complete proteins instead of BCAAs.
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I take xtend green apple best flavor. I drink it all day long in a half gallon jug. I find it helps to slowly intake through the day and all day. I feel the body needs to really absorb it instead of it going out through waste.
  • TRosen19335
    TRosen19335 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How much do you add in gallon though? One serving would be too diluted.
  • VanderbiltPersonalTraining
    Options
    If you eating adiquite protein their is very little use for bcaa supplmentation. Your body has an amino acid pool in which when the body is in need for a certain amino acid combo it can retreive what it needs. Probley the biggest scam product on the market. Just about every gym rat out there is already taking in more protein than nessisary and throwing more protien powder on top of that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got a free sample of BCAA powder, cellucor i think. It tasted nice but i didn't feel any more energetic or anything.. What exactly is the point of using these?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    I use xtend. The use of BCAA's can bring about controversial discussions in some venues.

While they are truly not necessary I do use them intra while Im pushing plates. They do reduce fatigue as far as I can tell as I dont subscribe to anything being placebo as I know how I feel with and without using them.

SUPPOSEDLY the best ones on the market are said to be from USPlabs Modern BCAA which boasts a 8:1:1 Leucine/Isoleucine/Valine BCAA ratio that is said to be the most beneficial...take it with a grain of salt.

Now Ill really blow your mind. Its said that BCAAS are made from human hair and duck feathers...do I care...no I just thought id share.

Hm, I never knew that's what they're supposedly made from. Interesting! And I agree with BCAA's reducing fatigue, could be a placebo effect but even if it is, it's worth it in my opinion.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    If you eating adiquite protein their is very little use for bcaa supplmentation. Your body has an amino acid pool in which when the body is in need for a certain amino acid combo it can retreive what it needs. Probley the biggest scam product on the market. Just about every gym rat out there is already taking in more protein than nessisary and throwing more protien powder on top of that.

I've heard it's a scam, but I've also heard that it is beneficial. Some people swear by them. Loving all the contradicting responses I'm getting - I enjoy hearing both sides of the argument in order to better form an opinion. Personally I eat about 120-140 grams of protein x day and have one serving of BCAA's (usually right before or during my work out) and have enjoyed the results. Placebo or not!

As for the "more protein than necessary" statement, that is definitely true. What do you think is a good ratio? I know some people who think it should be a 1:2 ratio (a.k.a someone weighing 100 lbs. should consume 200 grams x protein) which can't be good on the kidneys.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    I got a free sample of BCAA powder, cellucor i think. It tasted nice but i didn't feel any more energetic or anything.. What exactly is the point of using these?

People say that it helps build and repair muscle, retain muscle while in a cut, reduce fatigue and boost energy, although these statements are widely controversial as you can tell. Many people swear by them while others say they are a complete fitness guru scam.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I love BCAA's. I don't get enough protein. Helps dramatically with recovery. Swim and weights.

I'm using something cheap, premium whey protein from Sam's. I really liked the monster amino, but just can't find it any more.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I've heard it's a scam, but I've also heard that it is beneficial. Some people swear by them. Loving all the contradicting responses I'm getting - I enjoy hearing both sides of the argument in order to better form an opinion. Personally I eat about 120-140 grams of protein x day and have one serving of BCAA's (usually right before or during my work out) and have enjoyed the results. Placebo or not!

As for the "more protein than necessary" statement, that is definitely true. What do you think is a good ratio? I know some people who think it should be a 1:2 ratio (a.k.a someone weighing 100 lbs. should consume 200 grams x protein) which can't be good on the kidneys.

That much protein wouldn't harm your kidneys unless you already have a preexisting kidney disease. However, the law of diminishing returns kicks in and really anything more than 1.2 grams per pound of bodyweight becomes pretty pointless.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »

The research I've seen actually shows a 2:1:1 ratio to be the most effective ratio (of course, "bigger is better" sells stuff).

People say that it helps build and repair muscle, retain muscle while in a cut, reduce fatigue and boost energy, although these statements are widely controversial as you can tell. Many people swear by them while others say they are a complete fitness guru scam.

BCAAs can be effective for preventing workout fatigue because the free form BCAAs (as found in supplements rather than the BCAAs found in food or whey protein which are bound to other amino acids) are already in their simplest form and do not require digestion. Because they go straight to the bloodstream, if taken pre/intra workout, they become an effective fuel source. Also, intense resistance training is catabolic in the short term (obviously anabolic in the long term, though) and BCAAs can help curb the catabolic breakdown of muscle tissue by acting as a more readily available source than muscle tissue (hence the prevention of workout fatigue).

Leucine (one of the three BCAAs) is also anabolic in that it stimulates protein synthesis. Granted, just eating a whole protein source would accomplish this as well but not as quickly (cos free form) and not for such a small amount of calories. Most people won't care about this unless you're a bodybuilder and concerned with nutrient timing and trying to stay perpetually anabolic.

Nothing magic about it and it's not something you can't live without but it's not completely worthless either.
  • VanderbiltPersonalTraining
    Options
    Supplement industries pushing bcaas will pay for whatever outcome they want in their study. Some of the top experts in the feild advise not to waste your money on them. Brad Shoenfeld, Alon Aragon are among those who have also expressed this. Look up some of their research on the matter as well as i believe Jason Blaha made a good video on this. I mean maybe you get 1% increase in preformance and recovery at best. Is that worth $20 to $40. Not to me.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

That much protein wouldn't harm your kidneys unless you already have a preexisting kidney disease. However, the law of diminishing returns kicks in and really anything more than 1.2 grams per pound of bodyweight becomes pretty pointless.

1.2grams per Lb is even overkill. Studies show elite athletes need .78 g or .8 per lb (I dont recall the exact number) so unless you consider yourself elite (Id say that is maybe 3% of our population) and even than 1.2 grams is well above whats necessary. The old reference that was once used was 2grams per KG of weight.

to the contrary of the above statement too much protein does cause strain on Kidneys. Many other things do as well. Also one thing to note is the kind of protein you intake does not necessarily mean it is able to be used for the body as a muscle building item. Gut health plays a role in absorption of anything so there are MANY variables.

This chain of dialog will take the thread way off track so ill drop the mic now.

I take BCAAs to reduce any DOMS. It seems to work for me and that's all that matters to me.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    How much do you add in gallon though? One serving would be too diluted.

You're still drinking the entire serving though.. the only thing that would be diluted would be the taste
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The brand name BCAAs are ridiculously overpriced. I take generic BCAAs, but don't spend more than $0.30 a serving. Maybe it's placebo effect, but it seems like DOMS and recovery times have been minimized.

I tend to consume 1.0 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I realize it's not necessary, but I generally find, calorie for calorie, proteins to be more satiating than fats or carbs.
  • TRosen19335
    TRosen19335 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been using LEANBCAA by Evlution Nutrition and I have nothing bad to say so far.
    A Fair amount of CLA as well as L-Carnitine are in the product and it tastes good.
    I drink this as an intra.