Is it normal....

Options
I need some help/advice. I have been logging on MFP for. 5 weeks now and have lost a good amount of weight. But I am worried about becoming obsessed with loosing weight, the reason I say this is because I would be devastated if I went over 1200 calories per day, I cannot bear the thought of eating an unhealthy snack etc etc. Is this feeling normal?

Thanks for reading x

Replies

• tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I am right there with you! I have become a little obsessed with watching my calories. I don't like getting over 1200 or even 1000 somedays. I think because logging everything we consume is such an eye opener we just watch it closer and closer. I am trying to not let my will to lose weight be a bad thing just more motivating to get to my goal!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    normal to people who don't watch cals... no. normal to people on mfp... yea. some just take a break, so are ok with it.
  • IceFaith
    IceFaith Posts: 81
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I would only say to keep a level head about everything. Don't become so obsessed about weight loss and your diet that you can't enjoy holidays or special occasions with family and friends. I've tried to approach this as a complete lifestyle change.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I snacked on my sons leftover pringles baked wheat sticks which are like 100 calories or something and felt sick afterwards- I've been eating a clean diet the last week or so and it was not welcome! And for the first time I"m actually dieting during the weekends as well-I used to leave those as my 'fun days'
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I recorded one m&m today. It keep me accountable. If not for mfp I would have had the whole bag. A bad thing is being obese.
  • SallyC5
    SallyC5 Posts: 9
    Options
    I think it's a question of balance. If weight loss becomes more important than getting sufficient nutrients each day to stay healthy, then you need to be careful. You don't want to end up malnourished!:smile:
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think everyone, (or most people at least) goes through this specially at the beginning. I had to make a conscious effort to talk about it less to people outside MFP. I think it requires obsession to make this kind of crazy lifestyle change, but as the change becomes habit, the obsession lessons, and you can work on making diet and exercise a healthy part of your lifestyle, as opposed to an all consuming thing.
    At first if I had to go out to eat with friends, and my boyfriend was tempting me to eat food, I would be near tears, just sitting there eating nothing, determined not to eat anything even a little off of my plan. I pretty much just go with it, and eat small portions, a salad, whatever now. Maybe I still wouldn't eat, depending on the day, but it's not so emotional for me anymore.
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I AM THE SAME WAY!!!!
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    Based on my personal experience with myself and with others, those with perfectionist tendencies have a stronger chance of becoming obsessed with things of the such because they typically want to be the best and do their best. A lot of your responses may show that they are just as focused on the number of calories, but it doesn't make it "normal" behavior.

I have a really hard time with this subject because society says we should focus strongly on these numbers. However, if it's all you are thinking about even outside of meals, it may be becoming a problem. I've dealt with eating disorders for a good portion of my life, so my experience on becoming obsessed with number of calories is different than someone who hasn't had an eating disorder in the present or past. So I'm not sure if thinking about calories outside of meals is what other people do or not...

If you feel like it's becoming an issue, you know yourself better than any of us can. I'm not saying to take a break, but try to shift your focus away from calories to fueling your body. *shrugs* I'm not much help here.
  • swseals
    swseals Posts: 4
    Options
    I recorded one m&m today. It keep me accountable. If not for mfp I would have had the whole bag. A bad thing is being obese.

LOL good to know i'm not the only one!!

And like someone else said ... to those watching their calories and trying to lose weight, totally normal. To those that aren't, they just don't get it.
  • StaceyRN07
    StaceyRN07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You know, I was just thinking, today.."What am I gonna do when I reach my goal? How am I going to act if I'm not TRYING to lose weight?" Scary. Will we know when to stop? Geez...You're not alone.
  • gilledyer
    gilledyer Posts: 3
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to all replies. I think I just need to make sure that I know when to stop and when to be able to relax with it. I think easier said than done....:tongue: