PTSD sufferers?

Options
lilsteig
lilsteig Posts: 17 Member
Just wanted to see if there are any other people out there suffering from PTSD. I was diagnosed last year, and while I have made great strides in my recovery since then, it still sometimes feels like an uphill battle. I would love to make friends with others that know what this disorder is like, so feel free to add me!

Replies

• lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yup I do. It's always going to be a struggle for me. But therapy has taught me ways to cope especially in the rougher than normal times and meds help a lot. I can't imagine being off the meds now. I couldn't go back to that. <3
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    PS my phone doesn't allow me to post on walls or reply to comments (just since I got my new phone it seems) so I'm not active like that but messages so far seem to work. Added. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hello :heart: Yes, I also have PTSD. I have had it since I was a young child. It's improved. But, I have an ongoing stress disorder and it can flare up. I have had stress induced alopecia at one point. And I have other physical issues from it. Mainly issues with my nervous system and muscles. My muscles become very weak and I start shaking and have trouble walking. :heart:
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PTSD about four years ago. Since then, I got help from a professional and have worked hard to find ways to cope. I'm doing much better but there are just certain dates throughout the year that trigger me downward. I guess being able to prep myself and surrounding myself with loved ones goes a long way in helping me get through these episodes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Another weird thing that happens to me when the ptsd gets triggered is that I become freezing cold and my teeth start chattering (even if it's hot out).
  • Presleykay22
    Presleykay22 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I have ptsd as well it occurred when I was a child and something trigger it about 4 years ago and it's been about year since I have been getting help for it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Hugs! I understand. Glad you are getting help.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had PTSD but counselling (CBT) has helped significantly and I have control now, in the main. It took a couple of years to realise I had a problem after the event that caused it, but once I admitted it, resolution was about 6 months of work.
  • 888Butterfly888
    888Butterfly888 Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD
  • lilsteig
    Options
    Wow, it seems there are a lot of us out there!

I have been doing a combination of meds and therapy. It's my hope to be able to get off of medication one day, but the thought of going through the night terrors I used to get all over again scares me!

Has anyone tried EMDR? I've heard good things about it!
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    yep I have it, PTSD sucks *kitten*, and sometimes gets the better of you, other days you win. Hang in there, it will get better as you learn to deal with it..
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Undiagnosed, but yeah. Last fall I got hard hit by a car while I was riding my bike, spent the rest of the day and most of the next in the ER & ICU. Get really nervous riding by where it happened. There are good days and bad days and as time goes on there are fewer and fewer bad days for the most part.
  • 888Butterfly888
    888Butterfly888 Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how many of us here have PTSD too. I do meds and therapy too. Haven't done EMDR. I thought about it but a therapist of mine said she didn't think it would be good for me.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My counsellor suggested EMDR and has had really good success with it, but it all sounded a bit wild for me so I stuck with CBT, in the theory that the lack of talking about the incident was part of my problem.
  • lilsteig
    Options
    I haven't decided yet if I am going to try EMDR. I have finally found a decent therapist, so I hope that it will help in the long run. I'm still struggling with coping skills for when I get triggered, and dealing with some of the comorbidity symptoms as well. One step at a time!