Improving Endurance?

Options
I've recently become really into shedding weight and exercising, but my endurance has been terrible all throughout my life.

I've been trying to run for 30 minutes a day, but find myself unable to keep up and needing to take breaks and just walk for 2-3 mins, then I run for another 3-4 mins. I know I just need to run everyday and I'll see improvements, but are there other tips that I could do to help improve my endurance?

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run everyday. Slow down until you can run continuously.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can look into couch to 5k. It might help you with running. You don't need to start with week one of you feel like you've passed that already
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Agree with @rybo ! No need to run everyday and slow down. You can choose a walk/run interval and gradually increase your running a decrease your walking. The worst thing you can do it do too much too fast.

BTW running for 3-4 when you are just starting out is amazing!!! I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds when I first started!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that said you should not be running every day. That is something that should literally take years to work up to. At this point in your running, recovery is as important as the time spent on your feet. If you do not allow adequate time for recovery, you will not see improvement. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's the way it works. Starting a program like couch to 5K is probably a good idea.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At most you should be running every second day to allow recovery (you can do other things like walking, cycling, swimming etc etc etc) and don't worry about using a run/walk method, that's how the vast majority of new runners build up their endurance to the point the can run their goal time (there are quite a few runners who use this even when racing - it'll be something like run 10 minutes, walk one)

When I started running I broke it up into 10 minute intervals starting with walk 9. "run" 1 and then gradually walk 8, run 2 etc until I could run 10 minutes (slowly) non-stop. There are programs like C25K built on this idea - don't worry about sticking to an arbitrary schedule - progress at your own pace. Also, try to run at a conversational pace, if you can't speak in complete sentences you're going too fast.

Have fun!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't run every day. Use a program like c25k, that allows you to build up endurance gradually.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I would start with a program like C25K, which promotes running 3 days a week. Follow that program. And if you need to repeat a week, do so.

1) Make sure you have the right running shoes for your gait
    2) Make sure that when you are running, that you are not gasping for air. If you can't carry on a normal conversation with someone while running, you are running too fast for your fitness level.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    HIIT interval training will help with overall endurance.
  • neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Run everyday if you can, the key word that you listen to and respect your body, if you feel any kind of joint pain slow down and break, if you you're gasping, take a break... If you feel you're getting tired very easily it's not bad idea to check your Hemoglobin level you could have anemia.
    If you run on regular basis invest in a good brand running shoes. Good luck