Coconut oil?

Options
13»

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I use it on my face, body, hair…it has antibiotic properties.. i use it on cuts, bug bites..itchy skin. It is supposed to be a "fat burning" oil. Studies have shown it helps burn fat. But you can't just eat the stuff and think you'll lose pounds. But it is a good oil to cook with and use . ..it is healthy.. up there with olive oil.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to be a "fat burning" oil.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I cant use it on most parts of my skin as a moisturiser. If i put it on my face i break out in pimples a couple days later, and it makes my legs (calves) drier than before!
    I do use it in the shower mixed with brown sugar as a body scrub, but i still have to apply moisturiser afterward, or else the skin on my tummy 'cracks', but it leaves my bottom, boobs, thighs and arms super soft. I just have weird skin though, and different body parts react in completely opposite ways.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Good for baking with, good for skin and hair moisturizer. Not good for frying. Has too low of a flash point.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Good for baking with, good for skin and hair moisturizer. Not good for frying. Has too low of a flash point.

I thought coconut oil was one that could withstand higher heat than other oils such as olive oil. What oil do you use or suggest for frying?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    i use it for lube
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I thought coconut oil was one that could withstand higher heat than other oils such as olive oil. What oil do you use or suggest for frying?

peanut
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

It is good for some frying.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I put it on my hair to keep it soft. Actually we don't cook with it. It lives in the bedroom ;)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown it helps burn fat. But you can't just eat the stuff and think you'll lose pounds.

Do you have a link to those studies? I've read a few places that say "studies say..." but they never actually link to studies, so I wonder if they are real.
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    DON'T throw it away! Coconut is very healthy. It's the good fat you want to use. Great for many things, cooking & baking, skin, hair growth, nails. I use it to make toothpaste. I also use it to body wrap before bed it works wonders, I don't care what anybody says! Put it to good use mate the hype is F*ucking real!

No. The hype is not real.

What information do you base that on?

It's very healthy in a lot of ways. I'm not sure what "hype" folks are referring to, but it does have many well-proven health benefits. It's simply a healthy source of fat though, not a wonder drug.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to be a "fat burning" oil.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Last time I checked, coconut oil was still 100% fat.

Yep, just checked again. Still 100% fat.

TIL that fat burns fat.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    mhausler93 wrote: »
    I feed it to my dogs, and use it as a massage oil for my pitbull who had terrible skin allergies.

It's also a great moisturizer.

It is apparently excellent lube.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It is high in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's). It is supposedly a healthier fat, like Olive Oil or Fish Oil. The way I look at it is if I am eating fat, I try to replace unhealthy fats with healthy ones - why not, right? However, it is still fat, has a lot of calories, and is not some miracle that will make you lose weight.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it's a healthy food and could potentially be beneficial in that way (not a miracle magic food though). But, it's still fat and calories, so it needs to fit into your macros and calories. Some people find it easier to stay within calories by not eating added oils. Depends on your diet.