Running...where to start?

Options
I would really like to start running. Working full time and being a mom/wife doesn't leave me much time for the gym, not to mention that the only one around is really pricey, and walking only gives me so much satisfaction/burnt calories.

I have never been a runner, and in fact in high school when we had to do 5km runs every Friday, I struggled. I want to make sure I am easing into it correctly.

How should I start out? Sorry if I sound clueless...It just seems that I probably shouldn't just bust out the door and try to run 5ks? :huh:

Replies

• 1carson
    1carson Posts: 4
    Options
    Start slow. You need to work up your muscles. Start out running one lap for every mile. If you try to do to much to fast you will only hurt yourself in the long run.
  • aub7
    aub7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look up Couch 2 5k. I started running last year and it helped me alot. Good luck!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk (in decent shoes--cross trainers in good shape, at least, if not true running shoes). After at least 10 minutes of walking warmup, run until you feel like stopping. Might be 25 seconds, might be 5 minutes. Then walk some more. Then run again--try to go a little farther than the first time. Repeat. Seriously--I got from "couldn't run a mile" to "4-time marathon finisher" that way. I don't know the details of Couch to 5K but a lot of people on here seem to use it. I think running an entire 5K after a couple of months is a good first goal, then you can decide how much more you want to develop your running life, if at all. You might be happy with regular short runs or you might want to take it farther.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Most people start with C25K...it's a very doable plan. You should be able to find it on coolrunning.com.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And before you hit the road...be sure to visit a local running store and get a good pair of running shoes...it will save a lot of pain/injury from the git go!
  • SparksFly460
    SparksFly460 Posts: 258
    Options
  • katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    C25K looks perfect for me! I think it is a great place to start. Thanks so much everyone :)