Need Advice on What to Do

Options
I'm really struggling with my food choices lately. I can moderate to a degree, but sweets are my downfall. When I eat one, it triggers massive cravings for more. Next thing I know, I've eaten far too much and the scale goes up again. To me the solution would be to cut sweets out for now.

Here's the problem though. I know in cutting out sweets, I will be increasing my risk for bingeing on them later because deprivation doesn't work. At this point though, I'm ready to take that risk. I cannot stand to be like this another moment.

I really need some guidance here. I have no clue how to handle this.

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods that I have moderation issues with so I don't keep them in the house. I'm not the person who can eat half of a chocolate bar and put the rest away in the cupboard for later. I spent a lot of time fighting this but now I've just accepted that it doesn't work for me and I plan accordingly.

But, when I do get a craving for sweets - for me it's mostly baked goods - I go out with a friend for a slice of cake at a local bakery or coffee shop and work it into my daily cals. I probably do this about once a month. I usually walk there, it's a social thing, and I'm not buying a whole cake so there is none to bring home. This works really well for me.

Similarly, if it's chocolates or sweets you want, walk to the store to get a single special chocolate bar or something like that. Work it into your daily calorie goal and there you go!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You are right about most of us here will say do not cut out or restrict.. however if you truly have a real problem, then perhaps cutting it out entirely is your best choice. If a person truly cannot moderate or control an aspect such as this or anything for that matter, then removing it all may be in order..

This will be something you have to do as a personal choice. Since you seem to have this "eat far too much and scale goes up gain" yo yo'ing.. this in itself a red flag that you may need an outside source to help you deal with what is happening rather it is emotional eating, binging to rebel (for any reason what so ever), etc..
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Moderation isn't everyone, do what works for you. In time, what works for you may change.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You don't eat the sweets that you can't moderate. I mostly satisfy my sweet cravings with an apple a day (don't laugh. Pink ladies are awesome), 100 calories Greek yogurt cups, chocolate covered nuts, granola bars (at least they have nuts and/or oats and fiber and are more filling than candy bars and cookies).

I save the candy bars, cookies etc for when I really crave them.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You might like this column on moderators vs. abstainers:
    gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/
    Not everyone is cut out to be a moderator. I'm not -- recognizing that I'm an abstainer by nature is one of the things that has helped me lose about 200 lbs. When I venture over to the moderator camp, I find myself spinning out of control with my eating and heading into my "red zone" weight. But I know other people who do great with moderation.
    I guess I would say if you are doing either moderation or abstinence and are finding it isn't working for you -- be open to trying out the other approach and see if it works better. It sounds like perhaps moderation is not working for you right now.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I often have a craving for something sweet after a main meal. I either have a yoghurt or some peppermint tea - peppermint tea is slightly sweet in taste so tends to kill the craving for no calories.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    If you crave sweets there's a good chance it's because you do actually need some sugar. Obe option is eat fruit AS sweets. I'll happily devour an entire punnet of blueberries/strawberries/ cherries when craving sugar. It's a binge yes, but far lower calorie count than a haribo binge and it satisfies my cravings. I also restrict foods I have no self control around. Peanut butter is a little pot of chunky heaven for me but ill eat it all. In. One. Sitting. With a spoon! So I dont buy it even though it's my favourite thing ever!!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea for when you really need a treat to stop at a bakery and buy A cookie or whatever you are craving...instead of buying a whole bag of something to bring home. I read once about not buying something at the grocery store because at the store you only have to resist it one time. Once it's home and you know it's in the cupboard, you have to resist it like 9,876 times or whatever and for me, it will be gone after about the 6th time I ignored it.

I do have sweets and treats, but there are certain things I really can't have around because I can't moderate. Peanut butter. Cookie butter. Ice cream. Even protein bars, I try to just them one at a time as I need them because if I have 6 of them sitting there, I will eat them all.

I think real food is better, but I do use quest or oh yeah one protein bars for my sweet/dessert fix. Or protein powders and make a shake or something when I want chocolate. Not ideal, but better than some other options.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try to replace your craving by something you enjoy, keep your stomach full and doesn't encourage you to binge.
    Don't go shopping on an empty stomach it will avoid to buy your favourite craving food.
    Make a list of necessary food and stick to it.
    Nowdays my husband do the shopping. He usually buys what's on the list.
    It makes it easier for me. I shop only in places where there is no food.
    If it is available to you try to do your shopping online and look for food you need only.
    The problem with food high in sugar is that it can be like a drug and you always crave for more even if it makes you sick.
    I decided to remove all added sugar from my diet. I drink my coffee black with no sugar and no sweetener.
    I got used to it after a couple of weeks and have no more cravings for sweet food.
    There are things we can eat in moderation other things we can't control ourselves.
    Keep at home only what you can control in terms of portions.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The "everything in moderation" faction is powerful and influential. But don't be swayed away from your own good judgement.

Not eating certain things will not be deprivation if
    1) you stop eating it because you know it just brings you trouble, and
    2) it doesn't provide essential nutrition that you aren't getting elsewhere, and
    3) you do get everything you need from food elsewhere, in terms of nutrition and taste, and what you need from non-food sources, like love and friendship, fun and excitement, important and difficult things to do, good sleep and rest, and
    4) it's not in your face 24/7, and
    5) you won't really miss it once you stop eating it regularly, and
    6) it's based on your own free choice and a careful decision.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm really struggling with my food choices lately. I can moderate to a degree, but sweets are my downfall. When I eat one, it triggers massive cravings for more. Next thing I know, I've eaten far too much and the scale goes up again. To me the solution would be to cut sweets out for now.

Here's the problem though. I know in cutting out sweets, I will be increasing my risk for bingeing on them later because deprivation doesn't work. At this point though, I'm ready to take that risk. I cannot stand to be like this another moment.

It worked for me and plenty of others. You'll never know unless you try. I found that a lot of foods lose their appeal after you've been away from them for a while...I never ever think about pop anymore and sugar in my tea is gross.

And nothing HAS to be forever...you can always introduce them back in a few months and see if you are able to moderate them then.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I, too, have the ultimate sweet tooth. Want to know my secret? Know that when you're craving cake, cookies and muffins that your body is just craving SUGAR. Try eating strawberries, a banana, something that's sweet but not lacking nutrients. Also, try Oh Yeah ONE Birthday Cake protein bars or Quest Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough protein bars. These get me through the day when I want a sweet treat (I basically have two x day - one for breakfast and one for a mid-day snack) and I actually crave them more so than actual sweets these days because they don't leave you feeling like you ate empty calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Even if you do binge on sweets later, which is far from a certainty, so what? Isn't that better than bingeing on them regularly? And you just might find that by cutting them out for a while you are less likely to binge on them over time. Many people do, but not all. There is really no way to know except give it a try.