PCOS and Carbs

Options
Most people with PCOS need low carb. But when I started, I ate between 100-140g and did just fine or so I thought. I'm now thinking that I ate too many carbs and maybe if I had eaten less in the beginning then my stomach would look much better now. Besides my stomach, I still have hair on my face and I thought that would decrease with weight loss. I started at 244 lbs on January 15, 2016 and now weigh 200. I am losing fat everywhere but on my stomach it seems. I'm just wondering what's the most carbs you can eat a day without it negatively affecting your weight loss, especially your stomach.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend with PCOS discusses matters like this with her endocrinologist.

However, you can check out the PCOS group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The hair, sadly, is permanent. Once the follicle changes its forever. Belly fat, even for many non-PCOS women is the last to go. I lost first in my butt. Which was kind of sad in that it was the least of my worries lol! I am not watching carbs so much as I'm striving for a good amount of protein. The carbs have lowered some (still no where near low carb).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your carb level when first starting weight loss is not affecting your stomach now. Don't even spend time thinking about that :)

As Gena wrote, belly fat is often slow to go for all people. In addition, women with PCOS often have android fat distribution, meaning more in their abdominal (stomach!) area. That fat takes a long time to lose. (Speaking from personal experience. )
  • uniquegirl88
    uniquegirl88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I having the same problem. With my stomach I have pcos and I feel like I'm losing every where but my stomach
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes I having the same problem. With my stomach I have pcos and I feel like I'm losing every where but my stomach

How many carbs do you eat a day?
  • diwijo13
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    That fat takes a long time to lose. (Speaking from personal experience. )
    How long did it take you?
  • diwijo13
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »
    The hair, sadly, is permanent. Once the follicle changes its forever.

:/ I read that although laser is the best at getting rid of the hair it isn't permanent for women with PCOS.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Low carb is generally better for women with PCOS for the purpose of blood sugar control. I have PCOS, but I'm a special case because I can't maintain a low carb diet (I eat normal carbs). Let me tell you, weight loss itself gets you better results and control for symptoms than any other detailed attempts. My physical appearance representations of PCOS are not as pronounced, only a couple of stray hairs and not as much stomach fat, slightly less hair in the front of my head than in the back, not much changed there. Where weight loss had the most impact was lowered blood sugar and controlled metabolic syndrome as well as regulating periods. It was like magic. Just find something that works for you and stick with it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    diwijo13 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    That fat takes a long time to lose. (Speaking from personal experience. )
    How long did it take you?

I started at 202.5. I am 148 right now. I still have a lot of fat in my stomach. You can see it in the last picture in my profile. I likely need to lose another 10-15 pounds of fat.
  • VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The hair does not have to be permanent. Your body is always changing and that is a thing that can for sure change. Hormone balance is the key for that. As far as the belly fat goes you lose weight all over your body fairly evenly so if your belly has the most it would seem like it's the last to go. I would look into eating less carbs that could help with your hormones and look into other thing to help support them. You are doing well, you have come so far!
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can lose with strict control on your calories without being low carb with PCOS. However, my theory with PCOS is that our appetite signals get a little out of whack with some insulin resistance and hormone issues so if eating lower carb helps you stick to lower calories due to the appetite suppression it often brings I would use that to your advantage. If sticking to your deficit with carbs is easy and feels good, do that and add in some exercise. Low carb is not a requirement with PCOS but it can be a useful tool for appetite suppression and controlling insulin resistance if that is a factor with your PCOS. I've lost doing low carb on a deficit and eating balanced meals on a deficit with PCOS so it's doable either way. It will come off your stomach eventually. It does take some time unfortunately. I started seeing weight come off my stomach when I go to lower weights.

• trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but I don't do well on low carb (insomnia, low energy, low mood). I've lost 60lb in two years, not cutting carbs, not counting calories. I cut out:

1. Refined grains (and gluten of all kinds)
    2. Sugar and artificial sweeteners
    3. Processed and take out food

I try to always balance my carbs with protein/fat, at every meal. For example, I eat oatmeal for breakfast, and add almond butter (fat) & collagen powder (protein) to it.

I lost half of the 60 lbs since January, because I started exercising daily.

I didn't find that belly fat was slow to come off - I think I lost that first, in actual fact.

I've also found that my facial hair goes through cycles, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's normal. I think as I've lost weight, my hormones have levelled out?? My periods are remarkably better, both in pain and in heaviness.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    diwijo13 wrote: »
    Gena575 wrote: »
    The hair, sadly, is permanent. Once the follicle changes its forever.

:/ I read that although laser is the best at getting rid of the hair it isn't permanent for women with PCOS.

It is permanent, but new follicles grow and those will eventually need treatment too. It worked GREAT for me, but I need a touch up about every three years. It's so much better than ingrown hairs on your face and the constant healing that this requires.
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Are any of you on Spironolactone? I started in August and it's supposed to help with the symptoms, such as hair growth. My endo said it could take up to 6 months for my PCOS symptoms to improve. I'm on 50 mg and might get it increased later.
  • diwijo13
    Options
    tuffgirl19 wrote: »
    Are any of you on Spironolactone? I started in August and it's supposed to help with the symptoms, such as hair growth. My endo said it could take up to 6 months for my PCOS symptoms to improve. I'm on 50 mg and might get it increased later.
    My doctor doesn't want to put me on Spironolactone due to my blood pressure. At first my blood pressure was high and I was on medication. After losing weight I was able to get off meds but she feels that the spiro might lower my blood pressure too much. She did give me a prescription for vaniqua but my insurance doesn't cover it and it was too expensive

• diwijo13
    Options
    [/quote] It is permanent, but new follicles grow and those will eventually need treatment too. It worked GREAT for me, but I need a touch up about every three years. It's so much better than ingrown hairs on your face and the constant healing that this requires. [/quote]

This gives me hope. I'll look into it .

• diwijo13
    Options
    I didn't find that belly fat was slow . come off - I think I lost that first, in actual fact.

I've also found that my facial hair goes through cycles, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's normal. I think as I've lost weight, my hormones have levelled out?? My periods are remarkably better, both in pain and in heaviness.

You are very fortunate about your belly fat coming off with no problem. I will say my periods are definitely better. Now if only my belly and hairy chin would improve!