Calling all runners!!!

Options
I have signed up for my first half marathon! I have 11 weeks before the big day! I'm looking for all the help I can get. I'm a beginner. I usually do 2 minute intervals. My longest go so far is 4 miles.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How many days a week are you running now and how many miles a week?

11 weeks is not much time at all.

I suggest you use Jeff Galloway's run / walk program.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/
  • lola_1977
    lola_1977 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    3 days a week. About 9 miles a week. I know I let time get away. I'm not looking to "win". My goal is to finish.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lola_1977 wrote: »
    3 days a week. About 9 miles a week. I know I let time get away. I'm not looking to "win". My goal is to finish.
    As long as you don't mind doing a lot of walking, and you don't care about time, you can get through the 13.1 miles.

Make sure that you run slow. Don't let race day get you running faster than you are used to.

Look at Jeff's site that I linked to and it will give you a good idea of what you strive for with the run / walk ratios.

Also, make sure you are drinking enough fluids during your run.

If you can, try running for 3 minutes and walk for 1 minute. If you can do 4 min / 1 ratio that would be even better.

When you run, you should be able to talk normally without gasping for air. If you are struggling to talk in full sentences, you are going too fast for your fitness level.
  • lola_1977
    Options
    I have been doing 2 minute walk/run intervals. Idk if I will ever be the runner that can run a mile straight. But that's ok. The feeling of accomplishment with the walk/run is great!!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    I have been doing 2 minute walk/run intervals. Idk if I will ever be the runner that can run a mile straight. But that's ok. The feeling of accomplishment with the walk/run is great!!
    Start with the 2 / 1 interval like you have been doing, and then the following week try 2.5 / 1 and see how that goes for you. If you struggle with that, try it for another week. If you go slow like i mentioned, your body will respond favorably for you, provided you don't have medical problems preventing you.

Stay slow so you don't hurt yourself and you will make it with tired legs. And like you said, it will be a big accomplishment for you.
  • lola_1977
    Options
    I don't have any health problems other than being over weight. I'm down 40 pounds over the last year. I have to really talk to my self to slow down on my long runs. I want to just go and my body reminds me I'm not there yet.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Is there a time limit for your half? How far are your longest runs right now?
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Great goal! I wish I had the guts to do a half lol and I can run up to 8 miles, but since I haven't done 13 yet I am scared of the half :P Distance seams to help if you do walk run intervals that is how I started out and gradually made the running intervals longer until the walking was very minimal
    Good luck!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health problems other than being over weight. I'm down 40 pounds over the last year. I have to really talk to my self to slow down on my long runs. I want to just go and my body reminds me I'm not there yet.

As you lose wieght you will br amazed how much it helps ;) I did running for wieght loss and it worked...so much less fatigue now for me
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

I second this. You don't have enough weekly mileage to run the whole thing so take it slow and go for a run/walk program. :smile:
  • lola_1977
    Options
    Is there a time limit for your half? How far are your longest runs right now?

The time limit is 4.5 hours
  • lola_1977
    Options
    Great goal! I wish I had the guts to do a half lol and I can run up to 8 miles, but since I haven't done 13 yet I am scared of the half :P Distance seams to help if you do walk run intervals that is how I started out and gradually made the running intervals longer until the walking was very minimal
    Good luck!

You can so do it!! My longest run has been 4 miles. I can't even run a mile. I do 2 min intervals. I'm slow but I'm doing it!!!
  • lola_1977
    Options
    olymp1a wrote: »

I second this. You don't have enough weekly mileage to run the whole thing so take it slow and go for a run/walk program. :smile:
    olymp1a wrote: »

That's my goal! I don't think I will ever run a 5k much less a half. But I love running and intervals is the way I am able to do it right now. I feel accomplished.
    I don't feel like a "runners" but every time I have said that I have been corrected.
  • Medwardsx
    Medwardsx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can do it! However, having a training plan set out that you follow (ALL THE TIME!) will benefit you tremendously. I have been a runner since last October and am about to run my first full marathon. A year ago 2-3 mile runs were tough! With consistent training (and proper nitrition/hydration) I improved very quickly. I would also suggest experimenting with energy gels/chews or a sports drink (cytomax is wonderful) now rather than later. While you can run 13 miles with no gels, after 45 mins-1 hr of exercise your glycogen stores will become depleted. Train hard, train with purpose, and stay consistent! Tell everyone you know you are running a half and they'll help you stay motivated! Good luck! Happy running!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    go by a training plan..Galloway might bebest at this point. Do you do any other cardio, bike, spin, hit, cross fit, swim, epplitical, etc?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    well worth following a structured run/walk programme such as Hal Higdon's or c25k. They won't get you to do a half in time, but will build your running time. Try trimming your walk breaks to around 1 minute or less- Hal Higdon has a good explanation on his site as to why this is better than a longer break.

If you think about it, you could WALK the whole thing at an average 3 mph in the time limit, but getting your run intervals up will make it easier - a lot of the distance will be mental more than physical. I did a 20k (12.5 miles) walk a couple of years back, and was broken by the end of it mostly by being bored with the terrain. I did a 10k running race on Sunday (off-road, with a couple of hills) and can easily see myself achieving a half marathon in time (I trained using c25k, then have built up to running 40 minutes twice a week and a long run (i'm up to around 8miles with walking up hills) on the weekend.

Keep at it, and aim to run a 5k. In fact, sign up for one now - after all, if you can get through a half marathon, even on a walk/run schedule, you can easily get to run a 5k.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner/walker. I'm asthmatic, overweight, and probably will not ever be able to run a solid mile without stopping. Kudos to those that do.

That said, you can TOTALLY do this. I sip water/gatorade every 2 miles, carry two gels on me (1/3 and 2/3 through the race). I've done 4 half marathons and while my time has been slowly improving, I finished and that's what matters to me. Also, the best people on the planet are those hanging out at the start line! I was so nervous about not being the "stereotypical runner shape" but the variety and shapes and sizes and general people that don't care are amazing!
  • lola_1977
    Options
    Medwardsx wrote: »
    You can do it! However, having a training plan set out that you follow (ALL THE TIME!) will benefit you tremendously. I have been a runner since last October and am about to run my first full marathon. A year ago 2-3 mile runs were tough! With consistent training (and proper nitrition/hydration) I improved very quickly. I would also suggest experimenting with energy gels/chews or a sports drink (cytomax is wonderful) now rather than later. While you can run 13 miles with no gels, after 45 mins-1 hr of exercise your glycogen stores will become depleted. Train hard, train with purpose, and stay consistent! Tell everyone you know you are running a half and they'll help you stay motivated! Good luck! Happy running!

I have had a few people mention fueling and hydration...trying to figure that out now too...where to start.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    drink if and when you are thirsty - there should be water stations along the way so you can drink from them. Don't worry about sports drinks. Make sure you are fully hydrated the few days before the race, but don't overdo it so you are desperate for a pee at the start. Same with food, eat a decent breakfast, but not too close to the start. Get plenty of sleep in the days leading up to it.

Fuelling - if you are going to use gels, try them out beforehand. You'll probably want something a few miles in and then again an hour or so later.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The Galloway run/walk stuff does work so well worth considering. As someone else mentioned 4.5 hours is plenty of time to walk a half-marathon so even if you struggle to run much of it you should still be ok.

I'm thinking about doing a half-marathon as well, but want to get to the point where I can run it all and maybe do something in the 2 to 2.5 hours range. I was gradually upping my distances (longest run was 8.5 miles) but got side-tracked into chasing my 5K and 10K PB's instead - however I think I'm going to start gradually increasing the duration of my longest run again. I reckon if I can get that up to 10 miles I should be ok to then run a half.