Exercise and mental health

Options
Hey!

Just recently got back into the swing of working out and eating well. The last year has been hard for a number of reasons, it had put me into a slight depression and my anxiety seems to be at an all time high. I know exercise has been proven to help with depression, anxiety and MANY other things. Just wondering how it's helped you! I'm hoping instead of seeing it as "I need to lose these 15 lbs" I'll want to continuously keep doing it for my physical and mental health!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    I do use exercise as a stress reliever. :)
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For me, the more mindless the exercise, the better I will feel afterwards. I do group exercise where someone is telling me what to do and I just focus on the instructions and do it. Running and swimming are the same, just keep doing it and when you finish you will feel better.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Exercising has helped significantly with my overall health, including stress and anxiety. I had never worked out before the last 18 months or so. I wasn't fit and I never understood people who exercised for fun. It started for me as simply a way to burn calories and drop pounds. Somewhere in the process, it became something I enjoyed. As my body became stronger, I could focus on new physical challenges. It's interesting - I get the most mental boost from high intensity workouts. When I do yoga or barre, I have waaaaay too much time in my head. It does wonders for many people! For me, I can't turn my mind off. It's a constant stream of thoughts about everything I am stressed about or how bad I am at the poses - exactly the opposite of what it should be! But when I am doing something very physically challenging, and the only room in my head is literally thoughts of don't die! or don't fall off the treadmill!, it sounds odd, but it's actually the most relaxing thing I do all day.

Also, I love leaving a class with that cardio high, endorphins flying. I like group fitness because even if I'm down, just getting myself there and being around friendly people, getting out of my own head, doing something positive for myself, just physically moving my body, a friendly staff member greeting me with a warm smile at the desk, looking over and seeing a silly trainer dancing by himself - it really turns my whole day around.

Sometimes I don't feel like going and my coach always says, "Just get yourself there. Because once you're there, you're there." And I think okay, I don't have to go kill it today...it's enough just to be here, moving. But then usually something inside me shifts and it's like okay, okay, I'll try, try! And I end up leaving feeling so accomplished or hit some goal that I never thought possible. I leave feeling good about myself. And some days, it really is enough just to show up and keep my body physically moving.

I am not trying to lose any weight at this point, just continue to build more muscle, but now I truly do go more for the stress relief, adrenaline burn, the "me" time, a class where I don't have to think, just do, the social community, and because of the way it makes me feel - body, mind, and soul. I hate sounding like diet and exercise cliche, because it's not always that simple, but it's made a huge difference in my life and how I feel.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my best and favorite form of stress relief. Slamming weights around can help tremendously with frustration and anger. Running is my absolute favorite though. There's something about the rhythmic breathing and pounding of the feet that relaxes me.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    On those days when I feel like I can't do anything, as though i am wearing a full body lead apron - if i make a deal with myself to walk just for ten minutes and then stop if I need to - I always feel better. Once I start to move I start to shed the heaviness - I know that I can say today i have done at least one thing right - it doesn't have to be a lot but it starts the process of feeling better. I always end up doing more than I thought possible and feeling much better at the end. I always try to walk or work out in the morning -it gives me a psychological boost for the day.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Exercise, for me, works far better than any medication or therapy out there.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Exercising totally helps me mentally. I always feel better after a ride, run, or swim.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    Options
    Exercise has made Me a whole new person, I lift weights and it really makes me feel strong mentally aswell as physically, still on meds for anxiety and depression but a lower dose now which I'm proud with. It really has helped me so much.
  • jillk93
    jillk93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's really nice to see how it's helped you :) I'm excited to keep on it and see how my thoughts/moods/feelings change.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    jillk93 wrote: »
    Hey!

Just recently got back into the swing of working out and eating well. The last year has been hard for a number of reasons, it had put me into a slight depression and my anxiety seems to be at an all time high. I know exercise has been proven to help with depression, anxiety and MANY other things. Just wondering how it's helped you! I'm hoping instead of seeing it as "I need to lose these 15 lbs" I'll want to continuously keep doing it for my physical and mental health!

Physically, you will feel amazing. I tell everyone to still with working out for a month. Start with cardio to get in a routine and then move onto lifting. You will see and feel fitness progression and that alone will be the motivation you need to keep going. It is great for mental health as well. It gives you something to focus on and feel good about. After a while, you will look forward to going to the gym because it's your get-away!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    jillk93 wrote: »
    Hey!

Physically, you will feel amazing. I tell everyone to still with working out for a month. Start with cardio to get in a routine and then move onto lifting. You will see and feel fitness progression and that alone will be the motivation you need to keep going. It is great for mental health as well. It gives you something to focus on and feel good about. After a while, you will look forward to going to the gym because it's your get-away!

Cardio makes me depressed. :laugh:
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old and was a runner before I had her. My entire mental state has changed since I began working out again. I feel incredible and can tackle these days with ease. It has helped me tremendously!