Why am I gaining weight!??!

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder a lot, so I don't weigh my food and change the calories every single time I make that recipe. That defeats the purpose. I eat plenty healthy. Just because you can't see what's in my recipes doesn't meant there aren't vegetables in there. All my salad a have zucchini noodles.

As for the 'tots' they are a recipe I found on Skinny Taste and have exactly five ingredients which I have measured and weighed on my own to make sure they counts were correct.

Even if I am slightly underestimating my calorie intake it doesn't explain why I gained five pounds.

On the one day of your diary I was able to see before you closed it, it didn't look like you were weighing anything.

You could have gained a few pounds from underestimating and a few due to ovulation, if that's where you are in your cycle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder a lot, so I don't weigh my food and change the calories every single time I make that recipe. That defeats the purpose. I eat plenty healthy. Just because you can't see what's in my recipes doesn't meant there aren't vegetables in there. All my salad a have zucchini noodles.

As for the 'tots' they are a recipe I found on Skinny Taste and have exactly five ingredients which I have measured and weighed on my own to make sure they counts were correct.

Even if I am slightly underestimating my calorie intake it doesn't explain why I gained five pounds.

You should still weigh your ingredients and adjust them in the recipe builder each time you make the recipe. Then weigh out your servings.

Go see your doctor to have your thyroid checked. If it is okay, you are eating more than you think. Eating at the calorie level you claim since May should have helped you lose a lot more than you have so far, even if your activity level is low.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Are you ovulating? And all of the above questions about fluctuation etc.

There's so many hormone problems for women when it comes to tracking weight. If its shark week, it's a guaranteed 3-5lb gain for me, but even during ovulation like you mentioned sometimes I'd get spikes there too. Weight is never linear so I tend to weight every day and log only when I reach a new lower number. Like OP I fluctuate around but the overall trend is down. It's tricky business!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since May and started at 273. I reached 253 on Aug 25 and have steadily crept upwards to 258. I am logging accurately. I lost 80lbs in 2013, so I know what I'm doing. I just didn't keep logging and gained 70lbs back. So I've done this before, but it wasn't this hard last time.

have you revisited your goals on mfp? about every 10 or so lbs you lose you can update your goals with your new weight and get a new calorie goal. It could be that you were able to lose at 1800 (an example) at 273 but not at 253.
  • flipmode_7
    flipmode_7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    its not always about the scale my friend, could be muscle
  • jemhh
    Options
    flipmode_7 wrote: »
    its not always about the scale my friend, could be muscle

No.
    I can't do much exercise because I have sciatica so even walking is painful. I haven't increased my activity at all.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I do see a lot of "3 slice" "1 serving' "6 tots" ".5 bun", "medium zucchini" and especially '.5TBS olive oil' ".25 cup cheese" and salad dressing. It doesn't look as though you're actually using a food scale at all. Ditch the spoons and cups and start weighing everything, even slices of meat and olive oil...weigh prepacked pre-weighed foods, too as they're not as accurate as the packaging states.

THIS.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Water retention
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    For those of you food scale nazis, I lost 80lbs in 2013 and didn't even own a food scale. I'm not asking why I can't lose weight. I'm wondering if anyone has insight into why I've gained those five pounds in 2.5 weeks. I'd lost 20lbs in four months prior using measuring cups and spoons. I think that's pretty good.

So you're saying I underestimated my calories by 17,500 because I didn't weigh my food. I don't think so.

Thank you to those of you who are guessing water weight or my thyroid is low again. I appreciate the support.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Doesn't walking help sciatic pain? I know it has helped mine.. that and losing 45lbs so far
  • jemhh
    Options
    For those of you food scale nazis, I lost 80lbs in 2013 and didn't even own a food scale. I'm not asking why I can't lose weight. I'm wondering if anyone has insight into why I've gained those five pounds in 2.5 weeks. I'd lost 20lbs in four months prior using measuring cups and spoons. I think that's pretty good.

So you're saying I underestimated my calories by 17,500 because I didn't weigh my food. I don't think so.

Thank you to those of you who are guessing water weight or my thyroid is low again. I appreciate the support.

20 lbs in 17 weeks (4 months) means around a 588 per day deficit. Your height/weight/activity level should give you around a 2500 tdee if your thyroid is properly medicated. So if it is not, you are likely eating around 1900 calories per day.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I came in here to see if I had any thoughts to add. I see people trying to help you narrow down what may be happening and you're calling them nazis? Yeah, I'm out.

My thoughts exactly!
  • bquartermainNZ
    bquartermainNZ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, not sure if you all have factored what exercise you are also doing? You may be burning fat but putting on muscle, muscle weighs more than fat.
  • tfox429
    tfox429 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stay the course! I have hypothyroidism and struggled! Protein is your best friend it helps burn fat and build lean muscle. Lean meats the size of your fist, half a plate of veggies and a quarter plate of complex carbs like quinoa or brown rice or sweet potato. You can do this and even though walking hurts try to get some resistance bands or light weights and do seem exercises. Anything is better than nothing. Reach out of you need more support! Remember you are worth it!
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Carbs and water make my scale jump. I weighed every day for a month out of curiosity. My scale could jump 5 lbs in one day
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Hi there, not sure if you all have factored what exercise you are also doing? You may be burning fat but putting on muscle, muscle weighs more than fat.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, but by volume muscle is more dense than fat. Also it is hard to be in a caloric deficit and gain muscle mass.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    The bottom line here is if you have a thyroid issue - this could be the reason - and you will need to have this checked anyway before you can solve the problem.
    If it turns out your Thyroid is fine - then you are eating more than you think - and NOT using a scale now (which worked before) is no longer accurate enough for you to continue losing weight.

Is that 5lbs all from calories? Probably not - I am certain part of that is water weight or other fluctuations that are normal for everyone (again assuming your thyroid checks out)... but if doing what you are doing has stopped working then why would you keep doing it and expect a different result??