How can you actually tell what your body frame?

Options

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Interestingly, my results on that site didn't match. My wrist measurement apparently indicates a "thin" frame while my elbow measurement indicates a "broad" frame. FWIW, I always thought I had a medium frame ...

OP, it just goes to show you that these numbers can be inconsistent. I think it's better to go off of how you look and feel.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I dont think those tests are 100 accurate. it tells me I have a small frame and I am more like a medium frame.Ive never been really small lowest weight after becoming an adult was 125 and at that weight I look emaciated.(Im 5'6 1/2)

What results does this site give you? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

Hmm. Mine says I have a small to medium frame but I have a large frame with good sized pelvis and wide shoulders on top of a bit of a barrel chest. I have bigger shoulders than most women...

Perhaps my bones are not thick (thin) on my large frame?
  • Joolytron
    Joolytron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You want to get a body composition test done and find out how much dry mass (bone) you have in your body. This will help you determine what weight you should be. I had a nutritionist do it, in my case. She ended up recommending a higher goal weight than I would have expected, based on looking at BMI charts.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sliminby60 wrote: »
    i have read if you put your thumb and finger of one hand around wrist and they touch you are medium boned if dont touch large boned if overlap small boned

I've heard this too, but you have to be careful with it if you have unusually long or short fingers. (Mine just touch - but my fingers are so short I can't even play guitar because I can't reach the whole chords at once. My sister, on the other hand, has really long fingers and should really have taken up piano.)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Joolytron wrote: »
    You want to get a body composition test done and find out how much dry mass (bone) you have in your body. This will help you determine what weight you should be. I had a nutritionist do it, in my case. She ended up recommending a higher goal weight than I would have expected, based on looking at BMI charts.

This! I too worked with professionals. They took a variety of measurements including wrist, neck, shoulders, hips, and limb lengths. Later I had a body scan done. I was given a healthy weight range based on that info.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Ha to the fingers around wrist. One thumb and finger meet - so I am medium boned. One thumb and finger do not meet so I am large boned. I know I have large ships and shoulders. I was not heavy-actually on the too skinny side until mid forties.
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Interestingly, my results on that site didn't match. My wrist measurement apparently indicates a "thin" frame while my elbow measurement indicates a "broad" frame. FWIW, I always thought I had a medium frame ...

OP, it just goes to show you that these numbers can be inconsistent. I think it's better to go off of how you look and feel.

Haha, my measurements also don't agree (story of my life). I squeezed the tape as tight as possible around my wrist, almost bruised my elbow pinching hard, and rounded both my measurements down just in case - wrist says medium, elbow says broad. Somewhat unsurprising based on how clothes have fit throughout my life...

That said, whether or not the measurements are totally valid for this, it just helps to validate the goal I've set with my doctor being on the highest end of the healthy weight spectrum (in addition to how my body holds onto muscle).

But more importantly, it helps me be more realistic about my goals and what my body might look like, which I find has been really helpful in my ongoing journey towards self acceptance & happiness!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My measurements all agree. I'm large-framed (broad) as well. I'd be large if I was a man. This is why I'm not too concerned about my weight goal being at the top of the healthy range. I'm also rather muscular. Hooray for those Viking ancestors.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, my measurements agree too.

s2pqrp58kc5t.png

I already knew that, though. I'm noticeably larger in the pelvis than many women I know and I have broad shoulders. I'm built sturdy, which I like because even though I'm clumsy and reckless I don't remember ever breaking a bone except in one serious car accident.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am a 6'5" Male, and I have a large frame. Large chest, broad shoulder, long torso. No matter how much weight I lose I will never fit into a large shirt. I have to buy an XL, which may look too big for me, but if I were to wear a large, it would be way too short. I've seen people my height, similar weight, wear a medium, but they usually have like a 36-38 inseam, where mine is a 30. I'm just taller on top, but not comically so. I look proportionate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've tried the various methods and I get medium to large frame. I felt and looked my best in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height so I'm going with medium frame.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My wrists are very thin, and ring size is 5 which is small for a tall lady, but shoulders are broad, ribcage average, so frame can mean more than one thing, as binarypulsar noted. Thin bones but average build I would say. My weight can get very low and still look good, so that correlates with small frame; but my ribcage and pelvis will be always their size, they define the limits, basically.

While you are carrying extra weight, it is hard to determine frame size, because your bone structure isn't apparent. But carrying that weight through your teen years probably did give you good dense bones, which will weigh more, so you can probably look the same as someone lighter while carrying more pounds, and that's healthy. That's what I've noticed with my oldest daughter, who was an athlete. Since her bones are stronger, she weighs more than me even when we are in the same pants size (and I am 2" taller than her). Her body just weighs more because her teen years were spent building bone, while mine were spent trying to stay under 100lb.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My ring size is 3.25. Like most things, it's difficult to find that size.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I got the same result. Thin wrist, broad elbow, so the results don't match. (And believe me, I pinched hard on my elbow.) I have disproportionately thin wrists (I get that from Dad), but my shoulders and my ribcage are broad, ditto my hips (and I'm 5'8"), so I usually discount anything that only looks at wrist measurement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I am a 6'5" Male, and I have a large frame. Large chest, broad shoulder, long torso. No matter how much weight I lose I will never fit into a large shirt. I have to buy an XL, which may look too big for me, but if I were to wear a large, it would be way too short. I've seen people my height, similar weight, wear a medium, but they usually have like a 36-38 inseam, where mine is a 30. I'm just taller on top, but not comically so. I look proportionate.

Ya, I have a large frame - big hands, feet, head, rib cage. I look proportionate to myself, but girls my own height in high school always seemed much daintier to me. Eventually I stopped comparing myself to other women. I never felt right with men under 6 feet, unless they also had large frames. My OH has an inch on you, but probably a medium frame. He's been successful shopping for clothes at LL Bean.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    One of my wrists I can overlap my fingers the other iv got half inch gap! Same sort of difference on elbows so not sure what's going on here! X
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 4 and a bit, UK size 7/8 feet. US 9/10. Big wrists, so I guess I'm large frame. Yes, I look thinner now than I weigh. My bones will never allow me to fit into a US size 0, even if I get to some ridiculously low weight for me. I should have been taller, I really should have.... Viking ancestors here too....
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well just like the what shape are you think I am disfigured. I am either a small boobed hourglass or a wide shouldered pear. haha

Wrist is small
    Elbow is broad/large

yippie go me.

Size 6/8 bottoms, and size L in little kids aka 10/12 year old tops.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I dont think those tests are 100 accurate. it tells me I have a small frame and I am more like a medium frame.Ive never been really small lowest weight after becoming an adult was 125 and at that weight I look emaciated.(Im 5'6 1/2)

What results does this site give you? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

Hmm. Mine says I have a small to medium frame but I have a large frame with good sized pelvis and wide shoulders on top of a bit of a barrel chest. I have bigger shoulders than most women...

Perhaps my bones are not thick (thin) on my large frame?

Mine says I have a 'thin' frame? Small I understand but thin? How can that apply to bones? Makes no sense to me
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Thin bones are bones that aren't wide. Could also have said "narrow bones".