Looking for Busy People who are struggling to find time.....

Options
Hi all! I am looking for fellow MFP friends who are busy and struggle to get workouts in and who are sometimes over their calorie goal. I am a single mom of 2 boys who works full time. I don't have time for daily workouts let alone 1+ hours at a time. I am sometimes over my calorie goal. When I see people who are able to burn massive calories with a long workout on a daily or even 5-6 days a week, it is very discouraging to me. I feel like my efforts are not good enough. Just putting this out there in hopes to find some people like me :-) Feel free to add me!

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    @Casper9181 I am a mother of a five month old who has just gotten back into working out and logging my food. I am by no means perfect. I was a runner before having baby and hope to get back to that. I try to get up early in the morning before baby and hubby are awake to work out. Friend me is you'd like.
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Add me - I am in the same boat!
  • 20likenow
    20likenow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am not a single mom but I do struggle to find time. I have not worked out in a while just due to hectic schedule. My first workout since June was this morning! I wake up at 5 to workout while my son is sleeping. I did want to tell you that you don't need to work out an hour a day. I LOVE my Jillian michales shred. I lost 20lbs doing this and counting calories!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not a mother, I have a busy schedule and like you, found it very discouraging to see all these other people fitting in 2+ hours of relaxing cardio or heavy lifts. I work 8-hours, have a 3-hour commute, have a health condition which requires a doctor visit each week lasting 1-hour, plus I cook, clean and run all the errands for my house hold (three people + two fur babies). I try to fit in work outs when possible, the main goal is to make the most of your time - little to no rest while in the gym or doing an at-home session, so you work up a ton of sweat and exhaust the muscles in a smaller time period.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Start off small! Try to stay consistent with logging, then maybe incorporate a walk with your little ones each day (morning or evening), and even look up mama-and-me work outs! Stretching is another way to initiate the fitness journey without requiring tons of time. Dedicate 30-minutes after your nightly shower to stretching out your limbs and you will feel great! Remember, everyone starts somewhere, and NO ONE is perfect.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Add in the little things. Park farther away. Take the stairs. Take the long way to the bathroom or better yet use the one on the next floor so you have to take the stairs. Get the whole family to go for a walk after dinner. I do squats & leg lifts while I brush my teeth. None of this is "logged" but I feel better when I skip the gym, like today.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Add in the little things. Park farther away. Take the stairs. Take the long way to the bathroom or better yet use the one on the next floor so you have to take the stairs. Get the whole family to go for a walk after dinner. I do squats & leg lifts while I brush my teeth. None of this is "logged" but I feel better when I skip the gym, like today.

+1
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not a single mom but I did just finish getting my bachelor's while working full time so I know a little something about being busy. Just a few things I learned along the way that might help you:
    • It's almost impossible to "find" time to do things, instead, you have to MAKE time for them. Sit down and make a list of your priorities. Those are the things you need to literally schedule into your life. Everything else can fall around them. For me, keeping a perfectly clean and neat house ended up being lower on the priority list than time to run and lift weights.
    • You have more free time than you think you do. Figure out what your "time sucks" are and try to either eliminate them or save them for when you really do have free time. For example, I don't browse Facebook unless I'm a passenger in a car, have enough time to sit on the sofa and watch TV, am waiting for an appointment, etc. If I go into my computer room and get on Facebook or similar sites I can lose an hour or two, easy.
    • Along with that you need to find a tool to help you keep track of your schedule. A central calendar that your whole family can see or perhaps an app like Cozi.com (what I use) can help you to keep everything straight. Make it a habit to put everything on the calendar (pick a color for each person). You also have to check your calendar every night and again in the morning before you leave for work so you don't miss important things like soccer games, recitals and science fair project due dates. I like Cozi for this because not only will it send everyone a reminder it also has to do lists I could use for my school work and personal tasks and a meal planner built in.
    • Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss but it is for your health. You can certainly lose weight without exercise but I'd still suggest making it a priority. I schedule myself 45-60 minutes per day and even did while I was going to school because it was a priority for me. Every other day I run around my neighborhood and the weekdays between I lift at the gym at my work with a friend. You don't need to do even that, though. Use your lunch break to take a walk. Park at the very back of the parking lot. Always choose the stairs over the elevator. Use the bathroom that's farthest away from your desk. Things like that will help you get in a little more movement each day and don't take much time. You can also do things with your kids. Turn up the music and dance in the living room. Go for a walk together. Run around at a park. Exercise doesn't have to be done in a gym, be boring or take a long time.
    • Start meal planning and batch cooking. There are a lot of great meal planning sites that can help to get you started. Build a repertoire of 10-15 meals and rotate them around. They are even better if you can use the same things on different days so you're cooking once and eating two or three times. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes on Monday, meatloaf sandwiches for lunch and a shepherd's pie using the mashed potatoes for the crust on Tuesday. Or cook two whole chickens and use the meat for three separate meals in different ways during the week and on top of a salad for lunch. Use your crockpot to make a double or triple batch of chili. Freeze some for dinner in a week or two and have some for lunches that week. It doesn't need to be fancy or difficult as long as it saves time.
    • Getting enough sleep with everything going on and the pressure of time can seem impossible. Make it one of your priorities. Short sleep will not only make you irritable and less focused, it can make it more difficult to lose weight.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old, a full time job, an hour and a half commute (each way)...I wake up at 2am every day to work out so I have enough time to then shower, get ready for work, get my daughter ready, and be out the door by 5:30am. I know life is busy, but the things you find important...you make time for.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You don't need an hour. I pushed my wake up time to 6 so I can work out for 30 minutes in the morning while my kids are asleep because I have to get myself and my 2 little ones ready and off to daycare before 8. My schedule might be more relaxed though as I am only going to school full time and my job is just part time evening in home care for my brother. So I have a break during school that I can use the gym on campus.
  • ksfessler88
    ksfessler88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    90 minute commute each way...only way I can get exercise is to get up at 4 a.m. or do it at 6:30 p.m. 4 a.m. is hard to start but oh, so rewarding! I agree with you SueInAZ about the batch cooking and planning! Good advice and good luck to you all!!
  • Da_Junk
    Da_Junk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work 12-14 hrs a day. Sometimes six day weeks. I try to get 12000 steps a day in and 30000 during weekend. I've found steps are somewhat obtainable with effort during work. Weekends I also lift weights on Sundays. Works for me
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Do what you have the strength to do. Start with logging your food and getting that under control. It takes energy to make these changes. Add exercise when it clicks with you that you want to do it. Many of us make the time when we get to that point.

Just take baby steps...and over many months you'll look back and it will seem radical how much you've changed. Making those changes all at once is impossible..and that is why you feel the way you do..because you're putting pressure on yourself to be like those on here who are farther down the road in their journey than you.

Keep trucking on you can do it!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Casper9181 wrote: »
    Hi all! I am looking for fellow MFP friends who are busy and struggle to get workouts in and who are sometimes over their calorie goal. I am a single mom of 2 boys who works full time. I don't have time for daily workouts let alone 1+ hours at a time. I am sometimes over my calorie goal. When I see people who are able to burn massive calories with a long workout on a daily or even 5-6 days a week, it is very discouraging to me. I feel like my efforts are not good enough. Just putting this out there in hopes to find some people like me :-) Feel free to add me!

You don't need 1+ hours in the gym...you don't need a gym at all...I don't know a single person who can't carve out 30 minutes daily for regular exercise. I schedule it into my day just like I do anything else that is important/necessary.

I primarily cycle...duration depends on what I'm doing...when I'm short on time I do 30 minutes or so at a higher intensity...sometimes intervals, etc. An hour is great when I can get it...I do longer rides on the weekend as time permits. I have an indoor trainer as well so if I'm home with the boys and can't get away or weather is bad I just throw the bike on the trainer and go for it while the kids do there thing. I hit the weight room 2x weekly...sometimes 3 depending...I'm usually in and out in 45 minutes...60 tops.