Best Activity/Fitness Tracker/Smartwatch??

Options
I wanted to get people's opinions or experiences regarding fitness trackers.
I want to get one with the heart rate monitor, but i cant afford to spend big money on something without getting real reviews and thoughts.
Which ones the best?
Which one has reputable customer service?
Can hookup to MFP?
Any good or bad opinions will help.
Thanks

Replies

• Dali032484
    Dali032484 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My personal experience has been with Polar smartwatches. I also know a lot of folks who use Polars and love the product. I had an A300 and it was amazing. It syncs to my iphone and links to MFP beautifully. Counts steps, calories burned, tracks yoir sleep, settings are awesome. But I broke it. The one I have now is the M400 which I am in love with. This thing does what he A300 does and then some. I get text msgs, I can see my friends' activities and posts here on MFP, it has a GPS, it's very light and comfortable, tracks calories burned, counts steps, tracks your sleep and tells you how many hours of restless and restful sleep you had, I can answer phone calls from my watch, I can see who left me a voicemail and call back.....I can keep going but you get the picture. It's so user friendly and easy to set up it's ridiculous. I've never had any issues with any Polar watch. All the best finding the watch that fits your lifestyle and budget!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I had a good look on Amazon and read the reviews. I think it's a personal thing, depending on the activities and exercise you do and what you want to track.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I've just upgraded to the VivóActive HR. Running, cycling, swimming along with a number of other sports. Connects to external sensors. All day activities, sleep, hr, stairs. And is water resistant.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I got the Garmin Vivosmart HR and I love it. It tracks everything and connects to MFP great. It is pretty accurate with calorie burned when comparing to what the machine you are using says you are burning. My Only complaint, and it really isn't about the watch, but ever since I downloaded the app on my phone, other apps don't work quite right. Im not sure if that is just a coincidence, because the Garmin app works great, but some other apps I had to delete because my phone started acting up after I downloaded the Garmin app.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I was a huge Polar fan until my experience with their first activity tracker, the Loop. Their customer support just wasn't there but I never had a problem with their actual HRMs, but that was enough to turn me off from purchasing their product again. I currently use a Garmin 305 and a Vivosmart. 305 is old but still works and I liked the fact that when I went with the Vivosmart the chest strap from the 305 worked with it unlike the Polar where I was forced to buy a new chest strap for the Loop. As far as customer service goes Garmin is very helpful and quick to respond.

My BF has a Fitbit HR which he loved until it recently broke. I didn't have to deal with Fitbit customer service but I hear they are good. I had bought the inexpensive Walmart warranty when I purchased it and replacing/upgrading through them.

As far as reviews I'm a fan of dcrainmaker.com. Good luck.
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for an affordable smartwatch that has GPS and possibly HRM. I would like it to be my main fitness tracker but also would like a look and feel that I can wear to the office or out on a date. (Swappable bands would be nice.)

I would also like to have it work with MapMyFitness and export data to the main app. I'm fine with it not working with MFP since I just use it to track my diet and the widget on my phone is perfect.

Anyone use and care for the Sony3? Other options?
  • qwikstreet
    Options
    Also, do any watches help combat the double dipping? For example, I dont want the step counter to keep tracking if I go out for a run and utilize GPS routing or if I'm at the gym on a treadmill and manually log my data via MapMyFitness.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin Fenix 3 HR. Honestly if I had it to do over again I'd go with the non-HR sapphire version and use a chest strap.

27386482953_4e9f0bc0e6_o_d.jpg
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for Garmin Forerunner 35 to be released in the fall. It's a GPS watch with optical HRM. I will use it primarily for running. It looks sleek and has a great battery life.
  • CincyNeid
    edited September 2016
    Options
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    I'm looking for an affordable smartwatch that has GPS and possibly HRM. I would like it to be my main fitness tracker but also would like a look and feel that I can wear to the office or out on a date. (Swappable bands would be nice.)

I would also like to have it work with MapMyFitness and export data to the main app. I'm fine with it not working with MFP since I just use it to track my diet and the widget on my phone is perfect.

Anyone use and care for the Sony3? Other options?

Sorry to tell you, If you get a Fitbit you'll be locked into Fitbits ecosystem, and most of their mid and lower level items do not have GPS tracking as a stand alone unit. I'm not 100% you can export their data .... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Garmin's will have you locked into the Garmin Connect Ecosystem, but you can sync the data over to MapMyFitness if you get one with a GPS tracker on it. Most of the Garmin Running watches have a indoor and outdoor running mode, and some of the even have a indoor and outdoor "walking" mode. That will help keep the calories correct for walking [day to day] as in reference to walking or running as an exercise.

Under Armour own Endomondo, MapMyFitness and MyFitnessPal. So if you opt for their dedicated Fitness tracker it will integrate will all of those apps seamlessly, but i don't think it has GPS.... or will know if you're walking for day to day, or walking as exercise.
  • qwikstreet
    Options
    It looks like if I drop the need of a built in GPS and utilize the phone, I open myself up to more options. Anyone use Pebble Time Steel or Sony Watch3?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 but need something with more options for fitness and non fitness items.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    I have a [Plastic] Pebble, And i have Android Wear/Moto 360. Both of them are piss poor activity trackers, IMHO... I have a good friend of mine who has a Pebble Steel and wears a Misfit tracker as well.

If you're wanting something that's a "smart watch" and activity tracker. look at the Garmin VivoActive HR. All the Sports Profiles you could want, Full notifications from your phone, GPS, all day tracking, sleep and HR.
  • qwikstreet
    Options
    I'll look into that one. I bypassed it a few times due to its look. I am happy with my Garmin Forerunner 10 and the Connect ecosystem. My main problem with the Forerunner was it basically uploaded everything has a run to Connect. I then had to modify it in their GUI which is fine but mapmyfitness ended up syncing the data immediately and messed up some data I was using to train.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Garmin's will have you locked into the Garmin Connect Ecosystem

People say this a lot, and for good reason, but I disagree. The devil is in the details.

So for starters, you can't use a Garmin and look at your data in the Fitbit app or at MovesCount. And on top of that, Garmin makes it incredibly easy to have your data get to Connect for you. Like, you don't even have to do anything once you set it up on day one.

But you can also get at the raw data (FIT files) directly from the device. You plug it into your computer, and now you can use whatever platform you like: Golden Cheetah, WKO, SportTracks, you name it. The data is yours.

Also, if you opt for the auto-sync to Connect path (like pretty much everybody else), you can have it also sync to Strava. And Strava allows bulk export of all your data in one fell swoop.

On the whole, I feel like Garmin is pretty good about letting you retain control of your data.
  • Bud622014
    Bud622014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Vivosmart HR. I've had mine since June. It is one device which covers all my physical activities. Works well with Garmin Connect which plays well with MyFitness Pal.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    I'll look into that one. I bypassed it a few times due to its look. I am happy with my Garmin Forerunner 10 and the Connect ecosystem. My main problem with the Forerunner was it basically uploaded everything has a run to Connect. I then had to modify it in their GUI which is fine but mapmyfitness ended up syncing the data immediately and messed up some data I was using to train.

I, personally, own a VA/HR and It is a activity tracker first and foremost with the way it looks. But it's not as noticeable as a Fitbit. You can download the faces from the Connect IQ store to change the face of the watch, to make it look sportier, or classier. And Amazon does have some aftermarket bands to dress it up further.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Garmin's will have you locked into the Garmin Connect Ecosystem

People say this a lot, and for good reason, but I disagree. The devil is in the details.

So for starters, you can't use a Garmin and look at your data in the Fitbit app or at MovesCount. And on top of that, Garmin makes it incredibly easy to have your data get to Connect for you. Like, you don't even have to do anything once you set it up on day one.

But you can also get at the raw data (FIT files) directly from the device. You plug it into your computer, and now you can use whatever platform you like: Golden Cheetah, WKO, SportTracks, you name it. The data is yours.

Also, if you opt for the auto-sync to Connect path (like pretty much everybody else), you can have it also sync to Strava. And Strava allows bulk export of all your data in one fell swoop.

On the whole, I feel like Garmin is pretty good about letting you retain control of your data.

See I have my Garmin Connect linked
    • Strava
    • MapMyFitness, and that entire suite of apps
    • Endomondo
    • Training Peaks
    • Ride With GPS

So once I sync my device with my garmin connect it pushes everywhere. I've never had to dig for it to that degree.. But thanks for the heads up on how to do it if i should need to.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 235 for running/cycling - built in GPS and wrist based HR - I like it and it has served me quite well over the last 4 months. My wife uses the Vivoactive HR and she seems happy with that as well. She had a Vivosmart HR+ for about a week and that went back - over 3 minutes to get a GPS lock was horrendous.

If you are serious about a smart watch, go check out DC Rainmaker's reviews - www.dcrainmaker.com - his site will give you detailed reviews and comparisons...
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Apple Watch. Been using it a year or so and love it. I use a chest strap during workouts as all the wrist based HR trackers are iffy at best. My wife will be buying the Charge HR 2 shortly which is supposed to have better HR tracking on the wrist.
  • xxxglaxxx
    xxxglaxxx Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use the Polar a360. I like it because it is not as bulky at other fitness tracker and can do a little more than the fitbit and trackers alike. It's wrist based HRM and can be hooked up to the H7 chest strap. So during the day, I wear the watch to get an estimate calorie burn and I pair it up with the H7 chest strap when I work out to get a more accurate reading.

Hope that helps. There are plenty of good trackers out there. You do not have to spend so much money either. You just need to figure out what you want or rather need the fitness tracker to do for you.