weighing in Morning vs Night

Options
rkteal
rkteal Posts: 29 Member
If I weigh myself in the morning, I am 4 pounds lighter than in the evening.

Why is this? Any thoughts? I am curious.

Replies

• redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're body is always lighter in the morning than at night because when you wake up you haven't put anything in your body to weigh it down. Or at least that's how I understand it! lol
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    In the hospital, we always weigh people in the mornings-- preferably "dry" weights, which means you've voided, etc..

Best,

Debbie
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You're lighter in the morning because (presumably) you've gone the most amount of hours without any food or drink in you to add to the scale.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You're lighter in the morning because (presumably) you've gone the most amount of hours without any food or drink in you to add to the scale.

Exactly.

When and if you are drinking 8+ glasses of water a day then its going to show an increase...especially if you are consuming 1200+cals by the end of the day.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Aside from the food aspect of it, you are typically wearing more clothes in the evening, too...unless you take your clothes off to weigh in at night. IF I'm wearing clothes in the morning (usually not because I weigh right before I get in the shower) it's usually what I wore to bed the night before. PJ's don't weigh near as much as jeans and a t-shirt.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You weigh less in the morning because:

1) You have not eaten in usually at least 8 hours and often have emptied your bowels.
    2) You have not drank anything for about the same amount of time and have perspired and breathed out a lot of water.

At night you are weighing not just you body but all the things you have consumed though the day.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've found that if you weigh right after you use the bathroom in the morning, you will get a more accurate weigh in. Make sense? My weigh in days are on Friday mornings just before breakfast. Good luck!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've found that if you weigh right after you use the bathroom in the morning, you will get a more accurate weigh in. Make sense? My weigh in days are on Friday mornings just before breakfast. Good luck!!

This is what I do, too. And I chose Friday because, typically, you tend to eat worse on the weekends (more sodium) so if you weigh in on Monday you're probably retaining some water. So, unless you're really good on the weekends too, I think Friday is the best day to weigh in.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You gain weight throughout the day. It's normal we all do.

I'll be doing my weigh-ins either Friday or Sunday mornings
    the same way.
  • clh4444
    clh4444 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to weigh in the morning but really just be consistent. If you weigh at about the same time wearing or not wearing similar clothes then you are tracking your weightloss over time.