Doing great on diet... but hot wings challange in three days

Options
Hey MFP people,

I have been doing my calorie counting religiously for the last two weeks and have cut out a majority of the crappy foods I was eating and the results have been amazing! I am feeling better and weighing less... however in two days our favorite restaurant is having a Ultra Nuclear Hot Wings challenge that I have always wanted to try but I am worried that it will kill my progress.

Assuming that I can actually eat all 20 hot wings in the super crazy spicy sauce in 10 minutes that is a ton of calories. I am guessing that I will have to supplement that intake with equal amounts of exercise but they could alone count for 1200-1600 calories and that isn't counting the milk I'll have to drink with it or my other meals that day so I am not sure I can do enough exercise to accommodate it. Will doing this completely set me back on my progress I've made? It's been a dream of mine to win one of these challenges!

Replies

• DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    It's one day. I say do it. Although, if it were me, I'd fast beforehand. Not necessarily the healthiest advice, but it's definitely what I would do.
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    go in the data base and see how many calories it is..don't think one day will kill it and put a kick *kitten* workout in there before hand..lol good luck on the belly burn on that one!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Lol. Do it! It's ONE day. You will not ruin all your progress in one day! I take a "free day" once or twice a month. Sometimes I go all out and eat 5000 calories! Sure, I gain a few pounds the day after, but it goes away within a day or two. Most of it's water weight.
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    They say it's hotter coming out than going in! Good luck in your quest.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Go for it, but instead of trying to burn all the calories in one day, add the calories in exercise over a week. You'll net out the same, and you'll continue on your journey!

Good luck!
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    20 half wing hot and spicy in the data base is 850 cal but a ton of sodium..go for it!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You can do it but if your body is used to healthy food, they won't make you feel very good. I also used to love wings and splurged once quite some time ago. I felt kind of crappy after eating these things after being used to eating healthy for several weeks. I later learned that the skin has a ton of calories (same or more than the actual meat). It really is an unhealthy food.
    You will go through these phases but then realize that this sort of food is just not worth the abuse on your body. If you do it, then you'll get the craving out of your system and then replace the old "good" memory of the food with the new "feels kind of crappy" reality of it. Anyway, that seems how it worked for me.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun I'd do it, any weight gain would be marginal at best weight is gained over time just like it's lost over time. Wings are a cheat food for me every now and then I scarf down a dozen or more, never hurt me.
  • car01ine
    car01ine Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree, take your one day, and climb right back on the wagon the next. good luck!
  • atypicalchuck
    atypicalchuck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go for it, but instead of trying to burn all the calories in one day, add the calories in exercise over a week. You'll net out the same, and you'll continue on your journey!

Good luck!

That is a great idea, I'll keep up with my 30 day shred sessions and my elliptical and see if I can save up some calories :)
  • atypicalchuck
    atypicalchuck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do it but if your body is used to healthy food, they won't make you feel very good. I also used to love wings and splurged once quite some time ago. I felt kind of crappy after eating these things after being used to eating healthy for several weeks. I later learned that the skin has a ton of calories (same or more than the actual meat). It really is an unhealthy food.
    You will go through these phases but then realize that this sort of food is just not worth the abuse on your body. If you do it, then you'll get the craving out of your system and then replace the old "good" memory of the food with the new "feels kind of crappy" reality of it. Anyway, that seems how it worked for me.

This is also something I was really worried about. Before my diet I was a hot wings fanatic and this place has some of the best I ever had. I am sure I'll suffer for eating them with all the extra habanero pepper and the sheer volume so maybe that will help me stay away from them in the future since I'll feel awful.