Protein Ideas??!!!????

Options
I need some help getting more protein in my diet? Any ideas? I currently eat a lot of tuna and chicken but want some more/different options. Thanks

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Cottage cheese, nuts, eggs, yogurt, tofu.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can also substitute carbs for things that are basically like carbs but also have protein. For instance switching from rice to lentils can actually add a good amount of protein but might not be an obvious "protein" source.
  • carmaxgurl35
    carmaxgurl35 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Homemade protein cheesecake using vanilla powder
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Siggi's yogurt is very good on protein. They have less sugar and a whole milk yogurt too.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    burger
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar most days. It's yummy like a chocolate bar but with no rebound cravings afterwards.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you- if you're not allergic and you can get past the "ew" factor for something that has no taste... drink liquid pasteurized egg whites. One cup has 26g protein and can be mixed in ANYTHING liquid.
  • angelicanbrissett
    Options
    is that healthy??
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    Stick with whole foods because they're more nutrient dense and can help keep calories down
  • TriciaFPal
    TriciaFPal Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dry cottage cheese is my favourite!! In egg white omelette, in soup, in chili...
    100 cal .5 fat and 22gm of protein! So awesome!
    I completely stay away from prepackaged bars, meals, etc. Since they arent real food (for me).
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Quark, cheese, eggs, meat, minced meats, fish, bacon, mushrooms, lentils.

Stuffed peppers, eggplant boats, steaks, stuffed chicken, escalopes, taco's (replace the shells with salad leaves) meatballs with zucchini spaghetti, stir fries, stews, shepherds pie, pulled pork, omelettes, eggs/beans/sausage/black pudding.
  • jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs, beans, nuts, cheese.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,954 Member
    Options
    Lentils, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, nuts ... the usual suspects.

When it comes to meat, chicken is what I usually eat, but when I feel the need for a little extra protein in my diet I'll also go for something like a nice big Zambreros beef burrito or fish and chips or something. :)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    is that healthy??

Yep.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First make sure you do need more protein. How much are you currently getting in? What is your height and weight? Are you strength training?

Then look at your diet as a whole - lots of foods have protein: Meat and fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, beans, grains and even vegetables.

Then think about what you like to eat. Don't restrict yourself to certain foods, that is boring and can lead to deficiencies - instead, aim for variety. You don't have to drink egg whites (thank goodness).
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Quark, cheese, eggs, meat, minced meats, fish, bacon, mushrooms, lentils.

Stuffed peppers, eggplant boats, steaks, stuffed chicken, escalopes, taco's (replace the shells with salad leaves) meatballs with zucchini spaghetti, stir fries, stews, shepherds pie, pulled pork, omelettes, eggs/beans/sausage/black pudding.

Yesterday I wouldn't have known what you meant by Quark but I saw one of those Buzzfeed vids on YT last night 'Americans try German foods' and Quark was one of them. They described it like the stuff between Ritz cracker sandwiches! I have to try to find some in the UK!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In the UK, Skyr from Arla tastes better than Quark, especially strawberry, unless you like the bitter taste of plain/quark. Arla also do a protein yog, and there's a new Tesco Finest 0% Greek Yogurt that is high in protein.

In 100g
    Quark - 12.5g Protein 68 Calories
    Arla Skyr Plain - 11g Protein 65 Calories
    Arla Strawberry Skyr - 9.5g Protein 75 Calories
    Tesco Finest Greek Yoghurt 0% - 9.3g Protein 62 Calories
    Arla Protein Strawberry - 10g Protein 70 Calories
    Fage Total 0% - 10.3g Protein 57 Calories

I often have a whole pot of Skyr mixed with fruit for a meal, and weaken the strawberry one with some of the high protein ones. Quark and Arla Protein and too thick for me, but the consistency of Skyr and Tesco Finest is thick, but not sickeningly so for me. Apart from meat and nuts, these are the best way for me to get protein and makes for great desserts too.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I put egg whites in all kinds of stuff - oatmeal, soup, rice pilaf. But it's all stuff that's cooked. It adds some heft, and cooking it makes it not slimy. I also eat lots of spinach, which is about as protein-heavy as it gets for a veggie.
  • sanishmahalwal
    sanishmahalwal Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

1) Egg is both cheap and easy to get source of protein.
    2) Chicken, same available everywhere
    3) Tuna, rich in protein, and the BEST source of naturally occurring CREATINE and OMEGA-3
    4) BEEF contains all 9 amino acids required by the body.
    5) All non veg foods contain high protein amounts.