Do Friends = Support?

Options
Then I need tons! I hate this rollar coaster of trying a million and one diets and then never finishing a thing. I have zero motivation and at times just feel like giving up and crawling in a hole with a ton of chocolate! But then I also want to look and feel good too. So there you have it, I'm my own worst enemy! I found this site on my smartphone app and am making myself do this diet and excersise, bloging and posting, tracking and counting for 30 days! No matter what!!!!!

Then we'll see what happens. I'm hopeing and prayin that its a good enough amount of time that I change my life forever!

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have an AMAZING circle of friends... I really couldn't have gotten this far without them!!!
  • carolyndowdy
    carolyndowdy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am praying I can do it also. I have to. My body is falling apart.
  • car01ine
    car01ine Posts: 12
    Options
    I think I have had some great support from people here that I don't even know, just that one person saying 'well done' is such a huge boost. I update my weight when I have even lost just 100 grams, it all adds up and seeing it written down here makes it so real, I've had more success here in just over a month then with anything I have done on my own (with the exception of Tony Ferguson shakes)
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just came to the forum the other day and have a few friends, I love to read their activities for the day or their diaries, I think it's great that we can help each other out and be there for each other when we need some help. I will send you a friend request :smile:
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    first off, stop calling it a diet. a diet is a limited time thing that you go off. diets fail. 95% of people who lose weight on "diets' gain it back because they have no plans for when they go off the diet. new agey as it sounds, it's a lifestyle change. you have to change the way you eat and move for the rest of your life. it's hard work but it's not impossible. MFP is full of people who have succeeded and you will be one of them the minute you change your self-defeating habits and thoughts. How do i know you have them? Everyone has them.

The book that changed my way of life is called Burn The Fat by Tom Venutto. It's an ebook that you get at his website at www.burnthefat.com. It is not a diet but a way to live for the rest of your life. if you don't want to buy the ebook, he has a regular book out called The Body Fat solution. I havent read that one but i know it's similar to Burn The Fat. He will tell you honestly. It's hard work, you have to be vigilant with what you eat about 95% of the time and you have to exercise. It's easy to get fat. It's not easy to get rid of the fat. But you can do it. i know you can. How do i know that? (I'm psychic lol) I know because you're here. you havent quite climbed into that hole yet because you have hope. and as long as there is hope, there is possibility.

Write down your goals, short term as well, weekly goals, and read them every day. Then just for that day, do everything you can to achieve that goal. Just for one day. Then the next day, do it again. Until you achieve the goal, and it's time to have a new goal. always have goals.

You are strong. You can do this.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    My one main friend was aware of my health and how I wanted to drop weight but always wanted to go out to pizza hut and stuff to eat, and then go drinking, all that stuff(hes even in worse health than I am).

So after a long story short, I no longer talk to him anymore. Another one of my friends who got promoted to best friend status is fantastic though :) She actually takes my health into account when we're out and stuff. I know she doesn't need to but it's nice to know someone may think 'oh s***, ty's diabetic, better not go there) or something.

So... I'd say depends on the type of friends, I find friends online are more supportive overall of health
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    MFP has provided me with a network of people in the same boat as I. There will always be ups and downs - I am not the only one back sliding or "failing" at times. I love the personal accountability as well. Seeing it in print is a huge motivating factor for me.

Sharing in NSVs (non-scale victories), weight loss (1 oz or 1 lb), frustrations and accomplishments is better with friends. You'll like it here. Self-berating is not allowed when things don't go your way, though ... One day at a time to an improved you - you are already a beautiful creation.
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    u can do it!
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    For me, it's not so much their support - it's knowing that I WILL track every bite and they will be able to see it. I know they need me as much as I need them for our success - if i fail, I'm letting them down. When I succeed - I'm encouraging myself and then to push forward to make another healthy choice one meal at a time.
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My one main friend was aware of my health and how I wanted to drop weight but always wanted to go out to pizza hut and stuff to eat, and then go drinking, all that stuff(hes even in worse health than I am).

So after a long story short, I no longer talk to him anymore. Another one of my friends who got promoted to best friend status is fantastic though :) She actually takes my health into account when we're out and stuff. I know she doesn't need to but it's nice to know someone may think 'oh s***, ty's diabetic, better not go there) or something.

So... I'd say depends on the type of friends, I find friends online are more supportive overall of health

I have one of those too, but it's a relative! She always happens to make my "favorites" when we go there for a visit, or when they come here. It's very tiring. I think she just wants me to be the fat one. She's overweight too. It's not easy... but I'm gaining backbone when it comes to her. Can't say that she likes it much though.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I have made friends on the site so far, but none of them encourage me or reply to me when I encourage them.
    I will be happy to friend you and encourage you and hope that you do the same for me, man do I need the encouragement sometimes.

Thanks for posting and keep being strong!