Fast Food

Options
I so need help, I should be a member of Fast Food Addicts. LOL. I keep finding myself in a drive threw for little reasons- easy, quick, etc. I do cook. I just need support quieting - the sodium, fat and calories are killing me. Thanks

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same. I mean you should see my food diary for today / yesterday..
    I dont know what it is about fast food, although i do know that they have chemicals in them that are meant to get you addicted..
    So its not exactly like its unusual..

I have to say as much as i like fast food..
    I wish there wasnt a fast food place for miles.
    Then i would be ok..
    But i have kfc, macdonalds, burger king, and pizza hut about 10 minutes walk down the road..
    its like its teasing me =[
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One trick I use is eating a meal before I go out to run errands. That way I'm not as tempted to stop for something. Also, after awhile of eating good food like lots of fruits and veggies, the fast food doesn't taste as good as it used to. In the mean time, try getting grilled chicken (no sauce or cheese) and skipping the fries and drink water or unsweetened tea instead of soda if you have to stop. Once you take out all the fun stuff, it isn't as exciting to stop ;) Good Luck!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I can go for days or months with out fast food then I'm on that line ordering.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Watch a movie called "super size me" and "food Inc" I much prefer cooking at home, and just packing a healhty snack when I am out and about.

My only fast food is a Wendy's 1/2 baja salad. 280 cals. This is only about 1x a month. I used to be a drive through junkie too.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I so need help, I should be a member of Fast Food Addicts. LOL. I keep finding myself in a drive threw for little reasons- easy, quick, etc. I do cook. I just need support quieting - the sodium, fat and calories are killing me. Thanks

You can still find some things at fast food places like salads or some sandwiches that are low in calorie and won't kill your sodium intake if you watch it the rest of the day! But, I know its hard :( If you'd like some support - feel free to add me girl! <3
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I can get much better food quick and ready to go at my local grocery store. Yeah, I have to get out of the car, but they have awesome sandwiches, pre-cooked chicken, fresh veggies and a great salad bar. 10 minutes or less and afforable. :)
  • ShanRaeC
    ShanRaeC Posts: 37
    Options
    I totally get it, because I used to feel the same way. But, I did a lot of reading about how fast food is prepared and processed and I am telling you, that is one of the best things i ever did! Read Fast Food Nation, and watch Super Size Me and read In Defense of Food. Specifically, I CANNOT eat McDonald's anymore. I went from eating it probably on average to once a week to essentially never... my kids now hate it too because of the horror stories about the processing. It helps me to remember that it's not really food like the food we can make ourselves. Our bodies have a much harder time recognizing it and breaking it down into usable material. And besides, the food you make yourself tastes so much better, I'm sure! It's a habit like anything else. Just try thinking of it one little choice at a time. The next time you have the impulse to go, just say "today I am going to choose to pop in the grocery store instead". You don't have to say no every single time. Just try mixing it up a bit. But, more importantly, read up! You might be surprised to see how easy it is to go cold turkey!
  • heatherleigh12
    Options
    One trick I use is eating a meal before I go out to run errands. That way I'm not as tempted to stop for something. Also, after awhile of eating good food like lots of fruits and veggies, the fast food doesn't taste as good as it used to. In the mean time, try getting grilled chicken (no sauce or cheese) and skipping the fries and drink water or unsweetened tea instead of soda if you have to stop. Once you take out all the fun stuff, it isn't as exciting to stop ;) Good Luck!

that is what i have done i get grilled chicken plain no fries and water and it has been a little over a moth and i dont crave it anymore..
  • car01ine
    car01ine Posts: 12
    Options
    I keep a meal replacement bar in my handbag for those days where I have just run out of time while I'm out and I NEED to eat, I get a low fat decaf latte and PRETEND I'm having a glorious choc bar, ok so it's all in my mind, but it's a meal AND it takes care of my choc cravings.....good luck hunni
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I do eat fast food occasionally, but most of the time I just read the nutrition facts and can't stop thinking about all the carbs, fat, and sodium in the food. I realize it's not worth it, I can have just as delicious food at home and eat more of it because it's healthier!

It's all about knowing the costs and deciding whether it's worth it. Is it worth throwing off your whole day? Needing to compensate with exercise or less food later? Sabotaging your weight loss and health goals?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    When I'm home, I don't have that problem because there is no fast food around me. When I was visiting my family last week, though, I ate a lot of very unsatisfying side salads and veggie burgers. Even those are pretty bad. They really slather the mayo on the veggie burger.
  • Jorra
    Options
    When I'm home, I don't have that problem because there is no fast food around me. When I was visiting my family last week, though, I ate a lot of very unsatisfying side salads and veggie burgers. Even those are pretty bad. They really slather the mayo on the veggie burger.

If you're talking about the BK Veggie Burger, I just had that today. However, I only ate the patty, I ordered it plain with no bun. It was actually delicious. Only 170 calories for the patty.

If you do want (or have to) eat fast food. It's important to know what your best choices are. The only thing I'll have at BK is Tendergrill or Veggie Burger plain no bun. I read "Eat This, Not That" to discover the best choices at restaurants.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I totally get it, because I used to feel the same way. But, I did a lot of reading about how fast food is prepared and processed and I am telling you, that is one of the best things i ever did! Read Fast Food Nation, and watch Super Size Me and read In Defense of Food. Specifically, I CANNOT eat McDonald's anymore. I went from eating it probably on average to once a week to essentially never... my kids now hate it too because of the horror stories about the processing. It helps me to remember that it's not really food like the food we can make ourselves. Our bodies have a much harder time recognizing it and breaking it down into usable material. And besides, the food you make yourself tastes so much better, I'm sure! It's a habit like anything else. Just try thinking of it one little choice at a time. The next time you have the impulse to go, just say "today I am going to choose to pop in the grocery store instead". You don't have to say no every single time. Just try mixing it up a bit. But, more importantly, read up! You might be surprised to see how easy it is to go cold turkey!

Don't mean to spam, but I also want to mention that if anyone wants to know what really goes on in a fast food kitchen, just ask me. I begrudgingly work at Burger King and know all the secrets.
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Watch Fat Head on Hulu. It might teach you a bit about fast food. It will probably surprise you. I know I was blown away!
  • AmberYZ
    AmberYZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Something that really helps me if finding healthy substitutes of things I already like. Personally I love watermelon and cucumber but I hate spinach so I eat what I like. Even if I want to have sweets I'll make or buy healthy versions of them. To get over fast food you have to forget about fast food. If you're already satisfied with your diet then you won't want fast food.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Read Fast Food Nation and at least the first few chapters of The Omnivore's Dilemma. The latter book weaned me off those Burger King chicken sandwiches in about two seconds.
  • Lynwilli
    Lynwilli Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you so much, Everyone!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i dont eat fast food gave it up years ago, all it took was one trip to the er to cure me of that.

since then i never walk out the door with out MY OWN packed lunch or snack, a sandwich, a orange, rice cakes, a apple anything in my fridge can come with me, i also have a small cooler in the truck of my car for days when it gets hot i freeze my water bottles and use that as ice to keep everythig cool, just try it and eventually this will become a habit.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    Fast food really isn't appetizing to me anymore. I don't know if it's because I've seriously read every set of nutrition facts for every fast food restaurant (even ones I've never been to or heard of, lol) and scared myself out of it, or because I'm just so used to the healthy foods now. I went to a KFC/Long John Silvers this past Monday while on vacation and could barely eat a grilled leg, it was so unappetizing. I had to go back to the car and eat a Fiber One bar instead. I guess it just takes time. You can do it! If you want some kind of fast food, try Subway. They have the Fresh Fit menu with calories handy. I suggest Turkey Breast on toasted 9-grain wheat with american cheese, cucumber, lettuce, onions, tomato, and oregano. 6 inch sub is only 320 calories, fast, and FILLING!
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten fast food since march! I used to eat almost everything from the drive thru. What cured me is I started eating clean and avoiding processed food for the most part. I take my lunch now and use protein bars for snacks. I am so surprized that I don't miss it. I thought it would be harder and I am thrilled that it is not a big deal to me. I drive past all these restaurants and it doesn't even phase me anymore. Now I look at that stuff and it seems a little gross. And the best part is the food I am eating tastes so much better. Good luck to you!