I need to create a calorie deficit but feel hungry when I do! What can fill me up like rice does?

Options
Hi I just started my fitness pal up again since 2014. I was down to 223 now back up to 232 :/ I did start going the gym! :)

My fitness pal has me on 1660 calories a day to lose one pound per week

I absolutely love to eat :/ what can help fill me up that is low in calories?

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Rice fills me up great, so I make room in my calories for it pretty regularly. Besides that, tons of veggies and meat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Smaller portion of rice, bigger portion of veg

I eat 100g rice with my stews in general and also use a bed of mixed lettuce leaves to pad it out

I make big pots of food like chicken cacciatore or veg stew

I eat 350g risotto on a bed of leaves
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have the same number of calories as you. I usually eat back exercise calories (just careful about logging them - tend to underestimate). I eat a variety but do find I'm more full if I add in more vegetables.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I might get criticized for this, but when I first started out, I used caffeine pills to help with hunger. Eventually I got comfortable with feeling hungry, though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    grizzyell wrote: »
    Hi I just started my fitness pal up again since 2014. I was down to 223 now back up to 232 :/ I did start going the gym! :)

I love rice! I have it for breakfast with butter, stevia and cinamon, topped with banana and almond milk. Sometimes I'll have a few berries with it too. Breakfast is always my biggest meal (preference only, no mshic), so rice fits right in!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I might get criticized for this, but when I first started out, I used caffeine pills to help with hunger. Eventually I got comfortable with feeling hungry, though.

Not criticizing, but caffeine pills are not necessary.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have the highest satiety index so I'd start there.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Or try using brown or red rice. They always seemed to fill me up better.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think I need lots of lower calories stuff to feel like I am eating plenty. So stir fry a mound of veg and add your portion of rice and mix them up?
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Drink water, i drink 32 oz leading up to a meal, i eat less that way
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    grizzyell wrote: »

You can fit plenty of rice in 1660 cals?
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hot air popcorn if its less actual hunger and more snacking.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Also nothing wrong with feeling hungry ...if you're eating adequately ...you need to refocus your understanding of what is actually a hunger signal ..lots are emotional or desire based and go away after 20 mins

Ensure you are adequately hydrated

If you feel hungry immediately after eating just accept it,analyse it, is it so bad ..go for a walk and 9 times out of 10 after 20 mins the feeling is gone, if it isn't eat something

This. The hardest thing for me was to accept that while I want to eat X amount of food in a day, my body only needs 1/2 of that. The ultimate purpose of food is fuel for the body which is something we've definitely lost sight of in this country. I was very, very hungry for the first few weeks. Mostly because I was accustomed to eating a lot more volume. You can either supplement the volume with low cal items, or suffer through it and let your body adjust to not packing as much in every day.