How many Calories would I burn if I was doing Battle Rope for 5 mins?

Options
Here the Picture....
mlgm2fm7oq5c.jpg

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'd say a few, but hard to tell without some form of data. You should get an activity tracker, one with a heart rate monitor if possible; then you'd better be able to determine your calorie burns all day.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    not very many. Unless you put it into a circuit and do it for a while. It is an intense exercise that is hard to do for very long, but works well in a HIIT circuit. Even then, figuring out the calorie burn is tough.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would log it as general calisthenics.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This depends on how heavy you are, female/male, how your heart rate was, intensity, etc.

I'd say a range of 8-12 calories per minute seems accurate.
  • RookieFit2012
    RookieFit2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :)

I am 5FT 6 and weight 58.5KG

So to burn 100 calories? I have do 10 mins right? It is very hard work doing the battle rope as I knew it wasnt easy when I first try it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You might can do the Metabolic Equivalent of Task (MET).. perhaps this auto calculator is something you can use..

http://lamb.cc/calories-burned-calculator/

I put this perhaps at an 8.0 to a 10.0 MET..

the calculation works out like this and the bolded are constant and do not change..

_____MET Value x 3.5 x _____kg body weight ÷ 200 = calories burned per minute.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

So to burn 100 calories? I have do 10 mins right? It is very hard work doing the battle rope as I knew it wasnt easy when I first try it.

You won't be doing it for 10 minutes straight. Will have some breaks
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You won't be doing it for 10 minutes straight. Will have some breaks

Definitely. Or, the intensity will have to be lowered to sustain the activity.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I can only do 1 min of that rope at a time and then i take a break. Sorry no idea on calorie burn.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Calculate based on the standing wave you generate using a sinusodial function to describe the waveform. Frequency of the generated wave multiplied by the peak to peak distance of the sinusodial wave will give the transition distance over time of the rope movement multiply that by the weight to get a weight over distance over time measure. Convert that from joules to kilojoules to kilocalories for the amount of energy required for that displacement and then multiply that by your overall muscle efficiency as related to your VO2 max which is likely something like 1.22 for a fit person used to that activity.

Or you know don't overthink it and just say like 10 calories, I'd go with that actually.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Technically, yes. But very few beginners can sustain that intensity for 10 min. A beginner trying to do 10 min would have to go slow, which would reduce the calorie burn by up to 50%.

Personally I see battle ropes as more of an advanced circuit HIIT fitness/weight maintenance program than as a go to exercise for beginnner weight loss.
  • RookieFit2012
    RookieFit2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is interesting reading. I think Battle rope is so tough because weight of the rope and to keep going for 40 seconds(which I have managed that) but burned little calories :(

what about other cardio that seem easy to do? Swimming 50m on how many length to burn 100 calories in say front crawl? Good things about swimming is that I been told that is best exercise of all.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    As for burning calories easy, walking is probably your best bet. Swimming is great, too. Rowing, jogging, elliptical, etc.

For caloric burn, you just want to do an activity that you can do for a reasonable amount of time while keeping your heart rate up, like 30-60 minutes.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Calculate based on the standing wave you generate using a sinusodial function to describe the waveform. Frequency of the generated wave multiplied by the peak to peak distance of the sinusodial wave will give the transition distance over time of the rope movement multiply that by the weight to get a weight over distance over time measure. Convert that from joules to kilojoules to kilocalories for the amount of energy required for that displacement and then multiply that by your overall muscle efficiency as related to your VO2 max which is likely something like 1.22 for a fit person used to that activity.

Or you know don't overthink it and just say like 10 calories, I'd go with that actually.

Can I use Hartree instead of joules/kilojoules? It's sexier.