Nearing my goal what - what's next

Options
I have been using MFP since the end of February and had my goal weight set at 140. Now that I am less than 5 pounds from that I have been asking myself what's next?

Being short I could stand to loose more weight (probably another 20 pounds at least. However, being nearly 40 I find myself wondering if 140 is low enough or if I should keep going. Would love to get some other thoughts on this. Help me think this through....

Replies

• mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask your doctor.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask your doctor.

good shout
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since the end of February and had my goal weight set at 140. Now that I am less than 5 pounds from that I have been asking myself what's next?

Being short I could stand to loose more weight (probably another 20 pounds at least. However, being nearly 40 I find myself wondering if 140 is low enough or if I should keep going. Would love to get some other thoughts on this. Help me think this through....

If it was me (and I'm in the same boat) I stopped trying to lose and focused on building muscle definition. Love those 6 packs. Focus on losing body fat, and toning up your muscles, instead of purely being worried about the number on the scale.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So how do you fit? Do you feel fit and healthy? Have tons of energy? Do you like what you see in the mirror? Do you like how you fit in clothes? Are all your "numbers" (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) good? If your answer is yes, then stop. But if the answer is no, or "kind of" then there's no reason to stop just because of your age. I don't see any reason why we should try to be as healthy as possible and as happy with ourselves as possible. If you try, and it's too hard then re-evaluate later.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I am 35 yrs old, 5'4" tall and I currently weigh 143-145lbs. I had my original goal weight set at 150lbs, but I just wasn't happy and content. I dropped the 5-7lbs to get me where I am now and am happy.

Could I stand to lose another 20lbs? Maybe. Would I like how I look at 125lbs? Probably not. I don't want to be skelator or look sickly. I want to look healthy, feel healthy and enjoy life.

I can do this at 145lbs. I allow myself a 5lb fluctuation and I never fret if I'm at the upper end of the range or the lower end either.

I've changed my overall goals to reflect things I want to achieve and they aren't scale related. They are things I simply want to push my body to do. I have some health things (steel rods in my spine and a bulging disc in the unfused area) that I have to take into account so I set goals I KNOW I can reach with my back issues, but WILL make me push myself to get there.

Congrats! :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I second working on strength training now. That's what I am doing soon. I am about where I want to be, but I want to firm up a lot. I also am trying to set fitness goals as well..complete another half marathon, complete 20 weeks of Turbo Fire, etc.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    New wardrobe is next!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Way to Go! You are an inspiration to the rest of us MFPs! I like the comments about making a new set of goals - whether it is more weight loss, better muscle definition, or a fitness accomplishment. Just do It! Congratulations!
  • poppyspice
    Options
    Certainly discuss this with your doctor. There are other things to consider besides the number on the scale. Height, frame and muscle mass all play a part. Are you healthy? Are you eating good, nutritious food? We have all known skinny, unhealthy people. Are you happy with the way your clothes fit and the way you look? Listen to your body, when you look and feel healthy, are at a good weight that you can maintain with healthy food choices and exercise then you may be there. Give your body and skin a chance to catch up with your weight loss, what you may think is flab just may be loose skin or just need a little toning. Congratulations!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am like you. I am now focusing on getting toned and building some muscle. And updating my wardrobe too! Again, great work!
  • deut32_47
    deut32_47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I have enjoyed reading all of them. Good things for me to look into and consider.

Keep the ideas coming :)