How can I maintain fitness and nutrition goals while in jail?

I am going to prison for 3-5 years because of a white collar crime in early October. For those of you who have been in prison before, how were you able to keep up with your fitness and nutrition goals? I can't control what I eat and count calories and also I'm not sure if you're able to work out?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I believe they tend to have a fair variety of gym equipment, but as a back up you might want to grab a body-weight exercise book as a resource. Make do with what you've got and all.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    You may have more control over fitness than food. I bet you'll have gym access, but if not, I second brushing up on a variety of bodyweight exercises, or yoga, or whatever your like that doesn't require equipment. Focusing on fitness will probably also do some good for mental health while you're in there, because working towards goals will help keep you focused on the future and help you feel like you're accomplishing something with your time.
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    Most prisons have an outdoor track and a little bit of indoor gym equipment. But if you ever go on lockdown (it happens pretty often), your gym privileges will probably be taken away. There is a book by Charlie Bronson called "Solitary Fitness" that shows his exercise routine while he was in prison. All the exercises can be done in a cell, with only your body weight. As far as nutrition, they have to accommodate your diet within reason. So if you say you are a vegetarian, or don't eat red meat for religious reasons or something, they will give you a menu that is actually pretty healthy (considering its prison food lol). I hope this helps!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Take advantage of the free carbs and:

512iUkqZq1L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Control your fitness/exercise because you probably won't be controlling your food. My guess is there will be plenty of gym equipment if it isn't overcrowded, and if it is, then do bodyweight stuff instead. Most people I know who go in come out in better shape because it's a good way to pass the time. Good luck!
  • GoingGetsTough
    GoingGetsTough Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much for the responses, it gives me hope that I won't go off the rails while I'm in there. What I did was stupid but I have learned a lesson.