I live alone and need advice about bread!

Options
2»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I keep my bread in the fridge. It helps keep it fresher longer. :)
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Freeze it or refrigerate it, it stays longer and oxygen is reduced to it, does not mold,
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I buy sara lee 45 calorie wheat in bulk lol at costco they have 3 loaves for like 4 bucks i think and I freeze 2 loaves and keep one out :) it tastes just the same as if it werent frozen
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I always freeze ours and it tastes as fresh as if it wasn't frozen, once thawed.

:smile:
  • sagesmom05
    sagesmom05 Posts: 15
    Options
    generic brands dont seem to freeze as well. We buy 8 at a time at our bakery outlet and freeze it. Save time and money
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    We keep ours in the fridge. It extends the life quite a bit.

Yep, I grew up on frozen bread (great for spreading peanut butter or other "tough" spreads") but have found that putting it in the fridge keeps it fresh enough long enough at my house. :)
  • Determined1980
    Options
    I have always froze my bread and just take the slices out that I need for that day. It still tastes the same :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I bake several loaves at a time and freeze all but one. Just make sure you wrap it well so it doesn't get freezer burned and it'll be fine.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yep...you can totally freeze it..same with bagels, tortillas, etc. I also store my bread in the fridge and it lasts a long time.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Freezing is never a biggie at all - have you thought about getting smaller loaves? I know there's the standard loaf size, but our Albertson's and several other stores in our area sell much smaller loaves (more like the size of a bread pan at home loaf) as well.
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've never frozen my bread but I always stick it in the fridge and it does extend the life quite a bit. I think i've had some sandwich thins for almost 3 weeks in the fridge.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    I know what you mean about the bread going bad faster. My parents have always bought a bulk of bread or bagels or english muffins and froze them. They stay good for a while, actually. We even refrigerate bread when going on vacation or in the summer so it doesn't go bad. If you don't like cold, refrigerated bread, just set it out before eating it. It'll stay fresh and taste perfectly fine! If you do put bread in the freezer... don't forget about it, lol.
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some company's offer half loaves but I've only seen it for white bread. And as you say, not all stores carry them.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i keep my bread in the fridge and it lasts for at least 2 weeks.
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    Any suggestions on what store brands of bread freeze well?

Does homemade bread freeze better than commercial bread-commercial bread probably has preservatives in.