Creating Endurance on Elliptical

Options
5'4 256 lb. I started last Wednesday. I had a workout plan created by a personal trainer at my gym, and it has me doing cardio every day. Only 10-15 minutes 3 days a week (which is when I do the weight training prior to the cardio), and 30-60 the other 3 days a week. So far I'm 3 days in, and I've been finding it difficult to do long stretches on the elliptical (even on resistance 0). I want to be able to do the 15 and 30 minutes non stop, and then work up to using resistance, unless a different method is better. Right now I find it difficult to do 5+ minutes.

Any suggestions? Tips?

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Some ellipticals are much harder than others. When my mother broke her foot, for rehab they put her on an elliptical. She couldn't even do a minute. Then the physical therapists said they shouldn't have put her on such a hard machine. So they put her on an easier elliptical.
    My sister has an elliptical that I can be on for 30 minutes. But my own elliptical, right now, I'm lucky if I can do 2 minutes.
    So maybe there is an easier machine you could go on at your gym. Just something to ask them. If there isn't, then just do a few minutes until you can do a few minutes more....and so on. That's what I'm doing with my machine.

Good luck!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    How fast are you going when you start out? It's common for people to go harder than they should at the start because they're "fresh," then burn out quickly. Try slowing your overall pace down. Or you can try intervals - go at your "fast" speed for 2 minutes, then slow down for 2 minutes. Each time you work out, try to extend your "fast" period by 5-10 seconds and shorten your "slow" interval until you can do the entire session at a constant pace. Then add resistance.

Also, make sure you're properly fueled before a workout. Go in well-hydrated, and if you need to eat beforehand to have a good workout, make sure you do.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio every day may be a little much for someone just starting out. It all depends on the intensity of your cardio routine and your body's ability to recover. It might just be your recovery is slow so your muscles can't perform at the same level for each session. The key is intensity of effort and not necessarily time. It's not how long you go but how hard you push yourself for the time you put in. If you go 5 minutes but feel as if you're spent in those 5 minutes as you are in 30, then you've had a good workout. Recovery is even harder if you're eating at a caloric deficit as your body needs calories as well as protein to repair muscle tissue. Over time, your body will get used to the effort and will slowly build up endurance and the amount of time it takes to recover before your next cardio session will become shorter. My recommendation is to just stick with it, do what you can for as long as you can and everything else will work itself out. I wouldn't recommend doing cardio for more than 5 days of the week, you need time in between to recover.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How fast are you going when you start out? It's common for people to go harder than they should at the start because they're "fresh," then burn out quickly. Try slowing your overall pace down. Or you can try intervals - go at your "fast" speed for 2 minutes, then slow down for 2 minutes. Each time you work out, try to extend your "fast" period by 5-10 seconds and shorten your "slow" interval until you can do the entire session at a constant pace. Then add resistance.

Also, make sure you're properly fueled before a workout. Go in well-hydrated, and if you need to eat beforehand to have a good workout, make sure you do.

It's really the fact that my legs get weak and it's difficult to keep up a higher pace. I breathe fine. I try the treadmill, but it's too high of an impact for me at the moment.

I'm also an underpronator. Especially in one foot (which I have twisted/sprained MANY times in the past, starting when I was a kid). If you don't know what pronation is, an underpronator walks via putting their weight to the outer edge of their feet.

tumblr_odehxbjcfj1smk8lko1_250.gif
    main-qimg-a6050bd9949cf2674d3d4b0dd299688a?convert_to_webp=true

Also, I usually drink about 64 oz of water at work, and then after work I bring my water bottle and drink a little every handful of minutes to stay hydrated. And, weirdly enough, I actually exercise worse after eating. I find that I exercise more efficiently when my stomach is empty. If I ate something, I feel slower.

• RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Doing cardio every day may be a little much for someone just starting out. It all depends on the intensity of your cardio routine and your body's ability to recover. It might just be your recovery is slow so your muscles can't perform at the same level for each session. The key is intensity of effort and not necessarily time. It's not how long you go but how hard you push yourself for the time you put in. If you go 5 minutes but feel as if you're spent in those 5 minutes as you are in 30, then you've had a good workout. Recovery is even harder if you're eating at a caloric deficit as your body needs calories as well as protein to repair muscle tissue. Over time, your body will get used to the effort and will slowly build up endurance and the amount of time it takes to recover before your next cardio session will become shorter. My recommendation is to just stick with it, do what you can for as long as you can and everything else will work itself out. I wouldn't recommend doing cardio for more than 5 days of the week, you need time in between to recover.

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, is that I should do high intensity for as long as I can, let myself adjust to it, and then try pushing myself to doing high intensity for longer periods of time?

I'm currently logging everything, and I do plan to start on protein shakes for the gaps in my calorie allowance (I tend to leave 400+ calories uneaten if I'm logging meals).

Regardless of what workouts I do, I'm pushing myself to do the length to the point where I just barely can do the work. However, when I get out of the gym, I'm only sore for maybe an hour. Later on, it's certain muscles that are only slightly sore if I move them a certain way.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    Some ellipticals are much harder than others. When my mother broke her foot, for rehab they put her on an elliptical. She couldn't even do a minute. Then the physical therapists said they shouldn't have put her on such a hard machine. So they put her on an easier elliptical.
    My sister has an elliptical that I can be on for 30 minutes. But my own elliptical, right now, I'm lucky if I can do 2 minutes.
    So maybe there is an easier machine you could go on at your gym. Just something to ask them. If there isn't, then just do a few minutes until you can do a few minutes more....and so on. That's what I'm doing with my machine.

Good luck!

I'm not quite sure what is easier for me. Treadmill is out because it's too high impact. I tried the Arc Trainer, but that gives me the same issue with the sore legs inhibiting how long I can go. I could try the bikes. I always thought of those as less calorie burning and more leg muscle building though..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    5'4 256 lb. I started last Wednesday. I had a workout plan created by a personal trainer at my gym, and it has me doing cardio every day. Only 10-15 minutes 3 days a week (which is when I do the weight training prior to the cardio), and 30-60 the other 3 days a week. So far I'm 3 days in, and I've been finding it difficult to do long stretches on the elliptical (even on resistance 0). I want to be able to do the 15 and 30 minutes non stop, and then work up to using resistance, unless a different method is better. Right now I find it difficult to do 5+ minutes.

Any suggestions? Tips?

Your trainer should probably be fired. A beginner at the weight you are should not have that much volume thrown at them. And at this point all your cardio should be at a pretty low intensity, especially with all that volume. Either cut the cardio after your lifting sessions or 2 of the 3 other sessions that are programmed.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Working out 6 days a week is fine once you start getting into shape but it is too much for a beginner. Is this a personal trainer or someone who works at a gym? Some gym employees do not have the credentials to set up realistic exercise programs. You don't want to do too much where you end up dropping out or getting injured.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I was curious what incline you have it set? Maybe set it at 1 or 2 for incline and 0 resistance. My first time I could barely do 4 minutes. I realized it was set too high for me to start. As time goes on you'll find you can raise the incline and resistance. I love the elliptical, my favorite workout is the cross training but I set resistance between 8 and 12 now. So with time..you'll progress :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, is that I should do high intensity for as long as I can, let myself adjust to it, and then try pushing myself to doing high intensity for longer periods of time?

I'm currently logging everything, and I do plan to start on protein shakes for the gaps in my calorie allowance (I tend to leave 400+ calories uneaten if I'm logging meals).

Regardless of what workouts I do, I'm pushing myself to do the length to the point where I just barely can do the work. However, when I get out of the gym, I'm only sore for maybe an hour. Later on, it's certain muscles that are only slightly sore if I move them a certain way.

Soreness isn't necessarily an indicator of a good workout. Not everyone gets sore, and honestly if you did get intensely sore it means you're overdoing it and need to let your body adjust more. So don't use soreness as a metric of if you've worked hard enough.

Your comment about your legs getting tired does sound like you've been given too much volume, and that can lead to injury. It really might be better to drop the 10-15 minute cardio sessions entirely so your body can properly recover. You'll probably be able to make more progress in your longer sessions (and don't feel bad if you can't hit 30 minutes yet, work up to it). Talk with your trainer about how you're feeling with your routine, and if they're unwilling to modify it, you probably need a new trainer.

Not all trainers are created equal. We get overenthusiastic new trainers in my gym from time to time, and in their inexperienced zeal to get clients in shape they often give people more than they can handle. I saw a girl with asthma nearly faint during her orientation session. Try to find one who works with a lot of people like you and respects your current limitations.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Do what you can, don't be afraid to go slow. Try for a few seconds more every time. A few years back I lost 100 pounds using mainly the elliptical, when I started I was at minimal resistance and could only go 5-10 minutes, in just a couple months I was doing 45 minutes easily.
    On a side note I actually found that a little more resistance actually was easier than no resistance. Incline sucked, but a little resistance seemed to make it easier to not get the slipping feeling or out of control feeling.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Just take your time. I got my elliptical in February; at that time, I could only do 6 minutes straight without a break. Week after week, I added a couple of minutes. I now do 30 minutes, it's still hard to do, and I'm sweating a storm, but I can do the whole 30 without breaking. Just gotta work yourself into it. xo
  • RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    cricket490 wrote: »
    Working out 6 days a week is fine once you start getting into shape but it is too much for a beginner. Is this a personal trainer or someone who works at a gym? Some gym employees do not have the credentials to set up realistic exercise programs. You don't want to do too much where you end up dropping out or getting injured.

It's a personal trainer assigned at a gym. Free with membership. My eyes kind of bulged a little at the workout plan he gave me, but I thought I'd try it anyway. We're supposed to meet a bit after work today so he could show me the leg and chest exercises for the next couple of strength training days. He did say that communication is key and that he can easily modify the workout to fit my needs. I planned on talking to him about the schedule when I go in today.

KDar1988 wrote: »
    I was curious what incline you have it set? Maybe set it at 1 or 2 for incline and 0 resistance. My first time I could barely do 4 minutes. I realized it was set too high for me to start. As time goes on you'll find you can raise the incline and resistance. I love the elliptical, my favorite workout is the cross training but I set resistance between 8 and 12 now. So with time..you'll progress :)

I'm not sure, I was using the Quick Start setting. I assumed it was 0 resistance and actually had no clue that there's an incline. It didn't feel like there was an incline though. I could be wrong. I'll double check today.

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask him how to use the machines. It is great you are doing that, it sounds like you have a great start.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    My elliptical doesn't have an incline..the treadmill does, but not the elliptical....
  • RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    OP Update

I spoke with my trainer, and he said I should keep doing the 10-15 minutes during the 3 weight training days, and that on my cardio days, I don't have to do everything in one stretch. When I get tired on one cardio machine, move to the next and do what I can there, and keep doing that with small breaks in between if I need to.

So, I'll stick with it for now. That method seemed to really work yesterday. Maybe didn't burn as many calories, but right now I just need to get my body used to doing all these exercises! He'll be showing me how to do my chest exercises tomorrow. x.x There doesn't seem to be an ab day, but maybe it's best that comes later when I've lost more weight anyway.
  • exr_nick
    exr_nick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting excellent advice from the other posters, let me add my own experience. I use the eliptical a fair amount because running is something I can only do in moderation due to chronic foot injuries. I used one of the many pre-programmed 'workout's that the machine has. This varies the incline and resistance, and allows me to push it/relax in cycles. This makes it much more do-able for me, not only in the stamina aspect, but the boredom aspect too (a real problem with machines).
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    OP Update

I spoke with my trainer, and he said I should keep doing the 10-15 minutes during the 3 weight training days, and that on my cardio days, I don't have to do everything in one stretch. When I get tired on one cardio machine, move to the next and do what I can there, and keep doing that with small breaks in between if I need to.

So, I'll stick with it for now. That method seemed to really work yesterday. Maybe didn't burn as many calories, but right now I just need to get my body used to doing all these exercises! He'll be showing me how to do my chest exercises tomorrow. x.x There doesn't seem to be an ab day, but maybe it's best that comes later when I've lost more weight anyway.

Abs are something that you can hit as an accessory to other exercises. You don't necessarily need to directly hit abs, although an ab routine of some kind doesn't hurt. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It may be something that the trainer will have you incorporate after you've dropped some of the weight. Heck, you work abs every day all day just by moving around (i.e. sitting and standing and turning your torso). You can work your abs just by randomly squeezing those muscles and relaxing them repetively as you go through your day. That's something I do all of the time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    5 min at 0 resistance was all could do when I started. Now I can do 30 moving up to max resistance. Work at your own pace. You will get there! Even good trainers do not always accurately estimate what the unfit can/cannot do, speaking from experience.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    Here's another update. I am now able to do the following elliptical workout without stopping (though sometimes I pause a moment to drink water)

3 min on resistance 1 - slow pace to warm up
    30 min on resistance 3 - moderate pace (working up a sweat.)
    3 min on resistance 1 - slow pace to cool down.

Well, that was a few days ago. Yesterday I was able to keep going an extra minute on the cooldown. :)

Thank you all for your very helpful advise! Sadly I feel like I'll be set back, as I won't be able to get to the gym again until Sunday. :<