Increasing muscle with body fat

Options
I'm not large, but I do have a bit of blubber on me which I'm trying to get rid of, taking ages!! Haha

My question is, if I was to build up abs or something, would everything in that region tighten up and be pulled in, or would larger muscles push it out more and make my belly look bigger?

Thanks!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Push out. Gotta lose the fat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Push out. Gotta lose the fat.

This^^ What lifting program do you use?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit will get rid of the gut/fat
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    tomhurst wrote: »
    I'm not large, but I do have a bit of blubber on me which I'm trying to get rid of, taking ages!! Haha

My question is, if I was to build up abs or something, would everything in that region tighten up and be pulled in, or would larger muscles push it out more and make my belly look bigger?

Thanks!

I needed to lose 10 lbs after I had my son, so what I did was lose the weight first and then I began a weight lifting program. I could not do both at the same time. I did lift weights, but I just kept myself at the plateau I was at. Once I lost the fat, then I began to increase the weightlifting for hypertrophy.

What weight trainers do when they are cutting, is increase the reps and lower the weight.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    cuuuuut the fat and worry about abs laterrrr also eat protein and lift "heavy" brah
  • tomhurst
    tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Damn... I hate how long fat loss takes!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Wait until you see how long building muscle takes after the first year.
  • tomhurst
    tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Haha having a body is effort.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Haha having a body is effort.

nah most of us were born fit - it's a conspiracy that you work for it, either it's in your genetics or it isn't.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

How long did it take you to get that way?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's no bullkitten ^^

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I'm just about at my one-year heavy lifting anniversary and man-oh-man does it take patience. Fat loss is nothing compared to trying to gain muscle.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Work abs while losing weight. Best of both worlds.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with posters here - working abs will strengthen them and grow the muscle but the fat will still be there. Not that stronger abs are a bad thing, but if shrinking your belly is the goal, gotta lose body fat. I did exactly that, went from 40" to 30" waist losing 65 lbs. Losing all the weight was way easier than building up the 15 lbs of muscle I've gained since then.
  • italstallion1975
    italstallion1975 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »

Thanks!

I needed to lose 10 lbs after I had my son, so what I did was lose the weight first and then I began a weight lifting program. I could not do both at the same time. I did lift weights, but I just kept myself at the plateau I was at. Once I lost the fat, then I began to increase the weightlifting for hypertrophy.

What weight trainers do when they are cutting, is increase the reps and lower the weight.

Not if they're smart, they don't. We do pretty much the exact opposite - keep weight the same (try to increase, if we can), but lower volume (reps/sets).

I agree with what said about the bolded text, this is one of the biggest misconceptions I hear about. I would add that decreasing weight is a sure way to tell your body you don't need the same amount of muscle on your body and encourage it to use it as fuel instead of your fat.

Like someone said before the best way to get rid of fat is to move into a calorie deficit and either continue a consistent exercise program, with little to no cardio if you want to keep muscle mass you currently have. Let the food do the work. Don't stay in a deficit for too long. I have read 8-12 weeks would be the longest. Then either move slowly back into a maintenance phase or Surplus if you want to build up muscle. My 2 cents.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    Work abs while losing weight. Best of both worlds.

This is what I'm doing. Hopefully, my abs will be ready when all the fat has gone.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »

Thanks!

Not if they're smart, they don't. We do pretty much the exact opposite - keep weight the same (try to increase, if we can), but lower volume (reps/sets).

Precisely. Lower frequency/volume tends to become a necessity eventually but keeping the intensity the same is paramount to strength/muscle retention, IMO.

Doing lots of reps with lower weight is more of a hypertrophy (bulking) thing really. So you're absolutely correct when you say it's really the opposite of what was suggested.
  • Rururiri
    Rururiri Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Abs is built in the gym and revealed in the kitchen. It will take a lot of consistency and rigorous dieting to lose belly fat. Back to your question, your stomach will get big due to the ab muscles growing. Unless, you lose the fat covering it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Hopefully, my abs will be ready when all the fat has gone.

everyone's different, but just to encourage you: i still have that extra 10 - 15 pounds, two years after saying i've-had-it-i'm-going-to-start-lifing-weights. in fact five or ten pounds of this is weight that i didn't have when i started lifting :) and nah . . . it would be nice to just call it all muscle, but most of it isn't. i got more interested in feeding my lifting than starving my thighs, so i think most of it's fat.

reason i'm saying this is: even with that, my midsection has three visibly distinct parts to it now. it would be going too far to accuse me of having a six-pack, but you can definitely see my obliques. i really like it.

and i'm still working to lose those 10 pounds :p