I need to create a calorie deficit but feel hungry when I do! What can fill me up like rice does?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    A lot of things will help:

1. Put your food on a smaller plate. We tend to eat with our eyes so the smaller plate will make it seem like you have more on your plate then a larger dinner plate that seems empty.

2. Eat more slowly. Put the fork down between bites if you have to.

3. Drink more water, at least an 8 oz glass before you start your meal

4. Protein & veggies rather than carbs will fill you up & the sated feeling will last longer.

Actually veggies are mainly carbs. I'm guessing you mean simple carbs (pastries, desserts, soda, etc) as opposed to complex carbs as in veggies.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For a snack a handful of almonds and main line the water. Don't be afraid to eat back a few exercise calories if you start feeling weak. I like cardio (running) so I eat back alot.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I second all of the comments re: protein, veggies, etc. Also, make sure you're drinking lots of water. I tend to stay away from a lot of carbs (rice, pasta, etc) because a) I get full for a little bit, then immediately hungry again 2) its too easy for me to overeat them and I find its really easy to eat 100+ cals over my goal in one sitting and c) personally, these foods seem to upset my stomach.

The other thing that works for me, personally, but not for everyone is eating fewer meals. I've never been a breakfast person, so I don't force it. My first meal is usually a pretty big lunch at 11:30, I eat a snack around 3-4pm, and dinner around 8. I'll drink a muscle milk before bed if i'm still low on calories. I can't do the whole "eat every 3 hours" thing, i end up hungry or eating ALL DAY!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein and non-starchy veggies, as well as starchy veg like potatoes, which have the highest satiation index of food tested in at least one study.

I love rice and have it often but cut back to 75-100 g per serving.

What I cut back the most on was products made from flour, and wine.
  • irtrail
    irtrail Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to sub cauliflower for my starch. I love mashed potatoes like no other food. But, they are calorie dense and nutritionally sparse. So I roast some cauliflower and use a stick blender to mash it. Throw in some spices and salt and it's healthy mashed "potatoes". I would imagine a ricer would make a suitable "rice" out of roasted cauliflower.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    One of my 'replacement' foods is Soy Bean pasta. I won't touch those 'zero' pastas, cannot stand them. But soy bean fettucini.. *swoon* It's about half the calories of regular pasta, low carb, and so incredibly filling. Definitely have sauce with it though, as it can be an acquired taste if eaten alone.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I second the cauliflower. I love to take 500 grams of cauliflower and pulse it in the food processor. ( may take several small batches). Shockingly similar fluffiness and fullness as rice! Just throw it in a skillet wth a tablespoon of olive oil and some soy sauce or salt. You can add cheese even and and some chicken, tuna, turkey, whatever. You get a huge plate of food for a reasonable calorie count. Try it! I love it! Also, throw n some egg whites from a carton for even more volume and satisfaction awesomeness!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower.. I really do. Sadly, even 1 kg of cauliflower does not produce the same satiety as 200 grams of rice for me, unless cauliflower was mixed with potatoes or some kind of grain. Try ricing cauliflower though, it might be filling to you,but if it's not, stick with rice. Absolutely nothing wrong with eating rice on a diet.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Seconding the brown rice suggestion. Brown basmati is lovely and I typically cook 30-35g raw weight of it for myself and can't always finish it.

I can't be doing with cauliflower "rice" but I do usually have some boiled on the side with a curry, as it goes do well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    Seconding the brown rice suggestion. Brown basmati is lovely and I typically cook 30-35g raw weight of it for myself and can't always finish it.

I can't be doing with cauliflower "rice" but I do usually have some boiled on the side with a curry, as it goes do well.

i bought a pouch of ready made cauliflower rice.. i like cauliflower but it was the most disgusting thing i'd ever tasted!
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa. Maybe it's a mind game but I swear the stuff swells in my stomach. You make it just like any rice (peas & quinoa, quinoa pilaf, etc.) and a fraction of what you'd eat in rice will satisfy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

i bought a pouch of ready made cauliflower rice.. i like cauliflower but it was the most disgusting thing i'd ever tasted!

Lol yeah, if you expect the taste of rice you're going to be very disappointed, lol.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Lol yeah, if you expect the taste of rice you're going to be very disappointed, lol.

It tasted of crushed dreams and sadness....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I agree. Plus cauliflower is too flavorful to work in place of rice, which is usually used because its blandness brings out the other flavors.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lentils are very filling in my experience so you could give those a try. I actually avoid them now because I found them to be overly filling and heavy for the amount of calories.

Should mention I also found them satiation which is key. You can "fill" yourself with celery and broccoli but you'll still be starving because they aren't satiating.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,576 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey OP! I definitely hear you. I used to eat a TON of rice, starchy foods, pints of Ben and Jerry's.... you know the foods, and that's how I got up to over 220lbs before I realized things needed to change. I still eat rice, but instead of the 1 cup portion I used to allow myself with plenty of butter and salt, (well, if I'm being honest, I never weighed it, so it was probably a lot more) I now do 1/2 cup, no butter or salt, and load it up with plenty of protein (chicken, fish, pork, turkey, steak, etc) with vegetables and/or a healthy fat too. Sometimes I'll do a 1/4 cup of rice with a nice homemade chili or hearty stew. For breakfast, I've had quinoa with some fresh fruit and a small drizzle of honey and that's delicious!

I spent some time to calculate my macronutrients (carbs, fat, and protein) to help me figure out what I could eat and still be in my calorie goals. While it will be different for you, it might be worth exploring what your macros would be, and then look at some of the food examples people have given here, and see if these suggestions help you meet your macronutrient goals, and still stay within your calorie range to help you lose.

I feel full with plenty of protein, but that's just me. Everyone is different, so it's all about learning what works for you! There will be trial and error, but if you stick with it, you'll find what works for you from what examples people have given you here.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Lentils might be an option - half rice (preferably brown) and half lentils mixed together.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower quite a bit. I add it as a side for many dishes, because 100g or 200g is a large side and usually fills me up when other things do not. My wife gets tired of it, but honestly I can simply bake it with salt and pepper and a little olive oil and eat it just like that, or add a little light ranch or other seasonings on it and be perfectly happy with it. I also tend to stay away from rice, and have used cauliflower to make fried rice with good results many times. Google the recipes, you'll be surprised. Oh.. and I always hated cauliflower. People would put it on veggie trays for most my life, and I'd avoid it. Raw, I am not a fan. Baked until it has some brown edges, or fried in rice.. yummy. It takes on the flavors you season it with, and when it starts to brown in the oven it takes on a flavor of its own that is really good, albeit a bit smelly. ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I agree. Plus cauliflower is too flavorful to work in place of rice, which is usually used because its blandness brings out the other flavors.

Which is why the few times I've had it and liked it (at restaurants) it's been paired with something spicy and saucy that completely obliterated the taste of cauliflower. It was just there for texture. And because the chef apparently thinks cauliflower is 'in'.

Personally, when I make rice I like to taste it so I don't cover it in a bunch of sauce, etc. Substituting with cauliflower in those cases just does not work.
  • italstallion1975
    italstallion1975 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    grizzyell wrote: »
    Hi I just started my fitness pal up again since 2014. I was down to 223 now back up to 232 :/ I did start going the gym! :)

My fitness pal has me on 1660 calories a day to lose one pound per week

I absolutely love to eat :/ what can help fill me up that is low in calories?

How often are you eating? I have found that if you spread your meals throughout the day it helps with the hunger pains. Another question I have for you is do you know your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? Maybe 1660 calories is too low for you. When I first started out I was only eating 1500-1600 calories a day. This was way too low and I was hungry all the time. I pushed through it and in 7 months had lost 60 pounds. Now through research and trial and error I have found that 2200-2300 is a good range for my cutting phases. Also I am never hungry. Unless I miss one of my 6 meals a day. haha.