Google+

Options
CommandaPanda
CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
I need to get this off my chest because I am enjoying this new social networking site so much. At first you hear something like this and think how I thought of Twitter when I first heard the concept.... And now I have a Twitter account even though I know that nobody REALLY cares about what I have to say. I'm too tired to go into great detail but I wanted to inform the MFP community of this cool project Google's got going on

So I don't know if any of you have heard of the new social network that Google is trying to push, goes by the name of "Google+" ('Google-Plus').
Currently it's closed and you can get in by invite only. I never thought I would hear the following words come out of my mouth (or typed on my keyboard... through my hands), but I really think that this is going to bring an end to Facebook's tyranny.

https://plus.google.com/welcome

I don't know if this brings you to the page or not but that basically outlines how it works. So unlike Facebook, I could create a circle called "MFP Friends" and if I post something pertaining to fitness and exercise, I can choose to share it only with people in my MFP circle. There's an enhanced sense of privacy with it.

Of course, Google+ is still in beta which is why it is private and invite only; if you'd like an invite, let me know!

By the way there is video chat that can host up to 10 people.

Replies

• yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    hi!

i know i don't know you but i'd absolutely LOVE an invite to google+!
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    A friend of mine from way back was supposed to send me an invite, but I don't think it sent since I haven't gotten it yet, though she says she sent it yesterday... :frown:
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I heard about that when I read an article I am super intrigued! Can I have an invite? I think the enhanced privacy thing is pretty sweet.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    SO far it's taking some getting used to. I think it may be TOO simple. lol... But it's Google. It will be great once they get the kinks and such worked out.

I think I have 24 invites (waiting on some people to reply to a request -- not sure if I did it right) - but if you want an invite, PM me with your email addy and I'll try to get one out to you.
  • KayronM
    KayronM Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yeah send me an invite..Thanks!
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    I'm going to update my initial post as well as say it here:

If you would like an invite, I will need your email. You can either post it here (if you just dgaf) or you can message it to me for enhanced privacy.

I'll also add you to an MFP circle that I will create =]

When you do setup your profile, you can add me to a circle if you'd like; I'd say that I'm a pretty active user. Certainly preferable to have active users in your circles since this is still in beta and there isn't an ocean of people here like Facebook.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ok I joined google+ too. Thing is there you can not keep things private. I like the privacy I have on facebook. I was helping a friend try to find me to add me and I can't be found. I had to send her an invite. I am not sure if I like this rule below copied from link.......

http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Forgot to add if anyone wants a invite to google I have some available. Not sure if I will stay on there yet. Send a private message for invite.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to do anything yet. I don't know how to invite people, and I have one friend on there (the one who invited me) and I don't know how to send her a message or anything. Blah!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to do anything yet. I don't know how to invite people, and I have one friend on there (the one who invited me) and I don't know how to send her a message or anything. Blah!

Next to where it says Google+ you see 4 boxes. You click on the one with circles. Then on find and invite. Then search by either yahoo or hotmail email. Or click on add a person and search from there.
  • ajbeans
    Options

Next to where it says Google+ you see 4 boxes. You click on the one with circles. Then on find and invite. Then search by either yahoo or hotmail email.

I did that and I clicked on my husband, and he didn't get an email. I feel like I'm not doing something right, but I don't see any more buttons that I need to click. I added him to a circle and everything, and it says in my circles that he's there, but he doesn't have an invite.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    Ok I joined google+ too. Thing is there you can not keep things private. I like the privacy I have on facebook. I was helping a friend try to find me to add me and I can't be found. I had to send her an invite. I am not sure if I like this rule below copied from link.......

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Forgot to add if anyone wants a invite to google I have some available. Not sure if I will stay on there yet. Send a private message for invite.

Yes, but if you are using Facebook then you're subjecting yourself to this same risk. By using any social networking site, for that matter, you run this risk.

So in response to Google+ ToS Section 11, part 1, if you are already on a social networking website... This really shouldn't be of any concern to you.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    pretty sure google+ has locked invites for now. due to capacity reasons for the beta testing period.

my friend got this message when trying to sign up through an invite

"Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon."
  • gothicprophet
    Options

You do know Facebook has almost the exact same language in their terms of use right?
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    pretty sure google+ has locked invites for now. due to capacity reasons for the beta testing period.

"Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon."
    @#$%&... They did that with Gmail for a while too... Google should know by now, if they don't want to exceed capacity, LOWER the number of invites people can send out based on the number of Total Users / Capacity... It's not really that complicated Google!
  • CommandaPanda
    Options

Yeah, I just tried inviting two people and Google has reached their limit. It's a 48-hour turnaround for increasing their capacity.

I feel bad that I've hyped everybody up and now we can't even invite them. What a tease; sorry everyone! =[
  • CommandaPanda
    Options

@#$%&... They did that with Gmail for a while too... Google should know by now, if they don't want to exceed capacity, LOWER the number of invites people can send out based on the number of Total Users / Capacity... It's not really that complicated Google!
    They literally give you as many invites as you want until they've reached capacity. Yesterday I invited an awful amount of people
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    They literally give you as many invites as you want until they've reached capacity. Yesterday I invited an awful amount of people
    That's exactly what they did with Gmail back in the day, lol. I had to wait til they opened it up to the "semi-open (invites + people that can send a text message) beta"

Well, send me one in 48hrs then. :P

*Edit: oops, forgot to close quote... heh
  • ajbeans
    Options
    It seems to be really slow right now, but I assume that's just because it's new and they're working out the kinks. Personally, I wish companies would work out the bugs BEFORE rolling new products out to the public, but that's just me. Regardless, I think it's going to be a neat service. I hope they devise a way to post things on an individual's "stream," similar to the Facebook wall, because I don't like that everything I want to say to someone goes only to their email. Sometimes you want to have a more public conversation so other people can contribute, you know?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have a Google + account. Integrated video chat, Huddle, circles all sound like great competition for facebook. Google is also integrating picasa and other services. The tech blogs have generally given it positive reviews. The mobile app is clean. Nice start.
  • vbhoj74
    vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've an account too, but the invites options has vanished for me since yesterday.

They have implemented it pretty well, it's like having everything like Facebook, twitter and linked in at ne place. It's also integrated with android phones so well, instant upload of camera photos.

Edit: just checked and found that I've the invites again, so I can be bumped too for invitations.