Snacking

Options
beanjo020297
beanjo020297 Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm am a crazy snacker. Any suggestions on how to curb cravings?? I can down a whole bag of chips if I'm not careful!

After joining MFP I realize that 40% of my calories come from snacks and it's the reason I sometimes go over my calorie limit.

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I love snacking too, and fit it into my diet.
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned a few times. I use tin of tuna. Works a treat for me. !
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm also a snacker, so I preplan my day to account for snacking. I also portion out exactly how much I can work into my day so that I don't eat directly from the bag/box/whatever.

I've also found that I have very little self control around chips. I try to not have them around the house at all. I'll have a single serving with a boxed lunch when we have lunch catered for meetings. Sometimes I'll have chips at a friend's house when they have snacks around. Although, like home, I have much less self control there.

Speaking of, when they are around (like when I'm hanging out at my friend's house for 8 hours and they're specifically out on the counter so we all have stuff to snack on), I have a few strategies to try and help deal with them, though I'm not perfect:
    • I eat a large but sensible lunch trying to focus on whole foods and plenty of protein and fat because I found those keep me feeling satiated longer than higher carb meals.
    • I try to avoid eating anything at all while I'm there; I've found that once I say just one bite, I start eating all of everything.
    • I always have a full drink in front of me whether it's water or diet soda or whatever.
    • I chew sugar free gum.
    • I'll bring a single protein bar or something in a single portion that fits my goals better and keeps me feeling full longer (and I honestly only do this because sometimes dinner ends up being super late and I can't go that long without food).
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your snacks to things you have to work to eat, so it takes longer to nosh them? Pistachios in shell, steamed edamame pods, even crunchy veggies with hummus or cottage cheese....

I also find the ritual of weighing/measuring meals and snacks in the immediate beforehand increases anticipation and enjoyment so it takes less to make my inner fat kid happy