Advice on getting flat stomach

Options
Hi everyone,

Lately I’m struggling to lose fat. I’m a 5’4 female and currently fluctuating around 127 lbs, started at 150 lbs in November 2015. Waist measurements fluctuate around 28”.
I’m trying to weight and log everything I eat. Some days, I can’t. Especially in the weekends. That’s why I sometimes don’t log and eat back my exercise calories.
I’m doing full body strength training 2x a week, with the resistance machines. I’m doing kickboxing 1x a week. I also try to go running 2x a week. I’ve done strength training 3x a week in July and August before, and have been running 3x a week since I started losing weight.

My diary is open. I write down everything in a notebook first and then log the calories in MFP. I use the notes to write down what I ate and what exercise I did. It’s all in Dutch tho.

My goal is to get a flat stomach and getting my body stronger. I want to cut until I’m something like 117 lbs, because I think that’s when I’ll lose the stomach fat. I started drinking proteinshakes and they keep me really full! I try to get 60-90g proteins.

I’m aware that I have to log and eat more strictly. I also know that my thyroid and iron levels aren’t the greatest, and I’m getting treatment for that. Is there anything else I should do? Or should I just keep this going and eventually I’ll lose the fat?

It's just discouraging to see no progress on the scale or tape. :cry:

Replies

• Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @duddysdad
    Thank you. I've read it already and I'm following the tips. :smile:
    I'm eating at a deficit, I'm eating enough proteins, I'm doing strength training and cardio.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The stomach, for most people, is the last to go. I'm nearly at 10% body fat and still have a little bit of a belly which is comprised of mostly loose skin. It's because I carried most of my weight in my abdomen, now that fat is gone there's loose skin left over. It'll take years for much of it to go away, and some will never go away without surgery. But, with clothes on, I have a perfectly flat stomach now after 1.5 years using many of the techniques listed in that first link as well as some recommendations by other users here on the forums. Give it time, it'll happen.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue. I originally came on here needing to lose 28lbs. I lose 14lbs, screwed up and gained 7lbs back then came back and lost its all putting me down to pretty much my goal weight! Yay!! But I still had a 'soft' tummy area. I've decided to keep going at losing more and an strength training. I've cut down on carbs, upped my protien and restricted sugar. It's been really hard and I've fallen off the wagon lots but I lost 2lbs last week and I'm pretty sure it's come off my waist...I've lost 3cm off it!! Add me if you want to share progress :smile:
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started a similar discussion to this a few weeks ago asking for someone to reassure me that if I kept going, it would work and someone shared this link

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10004180/big-bellys-before-and-after-pics/p1
  • bbaugh2014
    bbaugh2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend incorporating a barre class into your routine. It is a great, low impact, strength training class that uses resistance bands and micro movements to get deep into the muscles. The classes focus on using your core for the entire class with 2 core specific sets. I've noticed a huge difference in my over all strength, and I love that the class gets deep into my lower abs. Vs. crunches that only tighten my upper abs.

I also recommend Mari Windsor's Ab Pilates dvd. A little old school, but great results when done consistently.
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I lost a bunch of weight a few years back, I was slender but my belly was still making cameo appearances in swimwear and birthday suits. I found what helped reduce my stomach fat was my diet and decreasing the amount of sugar I ate. Obviously I was still eating healthy and working out (as well as adding core exercises to my workout but I had to seriously decrease my added sugar intake (no cream in my coffee, no flavored yogurt, no salad dressings with high sugar content).
  • Idle_Moon
    Options
    @Spliner1969: Wow, good job! What a great accomplishment. You should feel proud. :smile:

@nickisa28: Thank you for your comment. I'll add you. :smiley:

@bbaugh2014: Those classes sounds great, but unfortunately I can't take anymore classes. I've noticed that kickboxing lets me use different kind of muscles. Especially the kicks using the stomach muscles.

@BreonnaQueen: How did restricting the sugar help? It looks like losing more fat and adding more muscle by working out helped. :smile:
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think you heard most of the answers.. One you can't really do anything to hit your stomach over other areas.. You can only continue to lose weight and drop your body fat levels. Two it sounds like you will have to figure out a better way to log so you know for sure exactly what you are eating. If you keep at it you will lose.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    @duddysdad
    Thank you. I've read it already and I'm following the tips. :smile:
    I'm eating at a deficit, I'm eating enough proteins, I'm doing strength training and cardio.

How large of a defict are you at? With your stats, losing 10lbs at too much of a deficit still may not give you the asthetics you're after. At an ideal BMI it's usually not about losing "more weight" but lowering your BF%. If your deficit is too steep, even with the lifting you may still lose muscle which won't help lower your BF%. Also, it took me close to a year to recomp, going from 165 to 171 so it's going to take time.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • Idle_Moon
    Options
    @CasperNaegle @RGv2
    Lowering my bodyfatpercentage is indeed my actual goal. I think it's 22/23% right now, and I want to get to 20% by cutting. I think I'll reach 20% when I'm 117 lbs. Then, I'll re-evaluate my goals and see if I want to recomp, bulk, cut, etc.
    I don't know what my deficit is, since I don't know what my maintainance calories are. I'm eating around the 1400 calories MFP gave me and I feel satisfied with it. I started strength training and eating enough proteins, so hopefully I won't lose too much muscle. :smile:

Thank you for your help, guys! I'm going to try to be really strict with logging and keep my exercise going. I'm hoping to see change in the next two months.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know what to do, just a matter of doing it long enough to see results. Building up core strength and muscle while cutting bodyfat sufficiently to see the results of that built up muscle is what will give a flat look. Might take rounds of bulk and cut to get an asthetic you want.

Basically I'd think you get down to the bodyfat percentage which is sustainable long term and healthy (not too low) and see what you look like and if you are not "flat" enough or defined enough for your liking you might need to go into a bit of caloric surplus and build some more muscle then cut again and try again.

I imagine really getting good definition for the particular look you want can take a lot of time and work.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @CasperNaegle @RGv2
    Lowering my bodyfatpercentage is indeed my actual goal. I think it's 22/23% right now, and I want to get to 20% by cutting. I think I'll reach 20% when I'm 117 lbs. Then, I'll re-evaluate my goals and see if I want to recomp, bulk, cut, etc.
    I don't know what my deficit is, since I don't know what my maintainance calories are. I'm eating around the 1400 calories MFP gave me and I feel satisfied with it. I started strength training and eating enough proteins, so hopefully I won't lose too much muscle. :smile:

Thank you for your help, guys! I'm going to try to be really strict with logging and keep my exercise going. I'm hoping to see change in the next two months.

You can simply use MFP to get an approx maintenance number by changing your weight loss goal from lose to maintain.. You can see how much 1400 calories is from that number to get your calorie deficit.

Its good to know your maintenance approximation to know how steep your deficit is in case you may need to change it.. Too aggressive of a deficit can only hinder muscle sparing when trying to loose weight (trying to attempt to lower BF%.. sort of counter productive)..
  • RGv2
    Options
    @CasperNaegle @RGv2

How often do you work out, duration, and are you eating back exercise cals? That will give us an idea of your deficit.
  • Idle_Moon
    Options
    @RGv2: At Monday and Friday , I'm doing strength training. First 10 min warm up on the elliptical. Than I use 8 different machines, doing 3x 10 reps with 60 sec rest. This takes around 45 min.

At Monday I'm doing 1-2 hours kickboxing after the strength training.

At Wednesday and Saturday, I'm trying to do a run. How long depends on how I feel. Minimum is 30 min, I try to go 60 min.

I don't want to eat back exercise calories to make up for the days I can't log. I am logging and weighting accurately most days and feel fine at 1400 calories. :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @RGv2: At Monday and Friday , I'm doing strength training. First 10 min warm up on the elliptical. Than I use 8 different machines, doing 3x 10 reps with 60 sec rest. This takes around 45 min.

At Wednesday and Saturday, I'm trying to do a run. How long depends on how I feel. Minimum is 30 min, I try to go 60 min.

I don't want to eat back exercise calories to make up for the days I can't log. I am logging and weighting accurately most days and feel fine at 1400 calories. :smile:

I understand that you are completely comfortable with 1400 calories a day.. Your diary is setup for 1330 and you are so far eating less than that.. I would careful on this amount of calories cause this tells me that your deficit is in caution range for the amount of exercise you do..I am 5'4" too..

Just know that this is gonna take a good amount of time and hard work..and I'm not talking a couple of months. If by chance I am correct in my assumptions based on the info in the thread, it will take a little longer.. so have some patience with this process.. and if you are looking to achieve the esthetic look this will entail recomp, bulk/cut cycles..
  • RGv2
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I understand that you are completely comfortable with 1400 calories a day.. Your diary is setup for 1330 and you are so far eating less than that.. I would careful on this amount of calories cause this tells me that your deficit is in caution range for the amount of exercise you do..I am 5'4" too..

Just know that this is gonna take a good amount of time and hard work..and I'm not talking a couple of months. If by chance I am correct in my assumptions based on the info in the thread, it will take a little longer.. so have some patience with this process.. and if you are looking to achieve the esthetic look this will entail recomp, bulk/cut cycles..

This.

If you're accurately eating only 1400 total calories and working out that much, you're really close to eating at TDEE -40-50%. That's not good for where you're at, and definitely won't help you get to the aesthetics you're after. No matter how much protein and lifting you do, you're going to lose a fair amount of muscle at that steep of deficit. That means, if you're aiming to lose 10lbs that a fair amount of that loss will come at the expense of lost muscle. At you're stats, get on a good progressive overload program, utilize more free weights with said program, cardiovascular if you like it, but you're deficit needs to be far less. More like TDEE -15%.