Dukan Diet?

Options
Anyone on here on the Dukan Diet? I have a friend that is on it and seeing great results, but it sounds very similar to Atkins to me......Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is doing the Dukan and last I heard had lost about 10 pounds. My concern for any restrictive diet (ie, one that eliminates specific foods or food groups) is what happens when you lose the weight and go off the diet? Is it a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life? Be brutally honest with yourself on that question.
    I knew going into this I didn't want to give up having a glass of wine ( or 2 :wink: ) a few times a week and I didn't want to have to cook differently for me than for my family. Watching my portions, making better choices and reducing processed foods took off 34 pounds! And most importantly, the changes I've made I can live with. I chose a life style change over a diet.

L
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    I've been on it for 3 weeks and have lost about 9 of the 11 pounds I wanted to lose! And I'm even more restricted because I'm a vegetarian. It has been the only think that has worked for me! I'm scheduled to be done with the second phase on 6 days, at which time I will move into consolidation and will gradually reintroduce bread and fruit, and cheat meals. It is a way of life. You can't just quit the diet when you reach your goal weight and go back to unhealthy living. Dr. Dukan recommends to eternally use the low carb/low fat concept for the majority of your meals. It's pretty easy and I see no problems coming out of the second phase. And my carb cravings are nearly gone!
  • annnieb1
    annnieb1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I started the Dukan diet 3 months ago in April and have lost 38 pounds on it and feel great! I do have 19 pounds to go and hope to have it off by October. I am finding it very easy to stay on and can't wait to get to the next phase this plan has a great maintenance phase.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In my honest opinion, diets do not work as they are not sustainable. You can lose on any diet, including the cookie diet, but once you get off it, the weight comes back and you generally add. Overall, you are better with setting up a healthier lifestyle and eating whole and natural foods. If you can't see yourself doing a diet for more than xx number of days, then it isn't worth starting.

I will note, I have not done this diet but I have lost 33% of my body fat which equates to about 20 ish lbs.