Lose fat or build muscle?

Options
So I've been doing a cardio program on my PS3 for a month now. I have stayed within my calorie allowance and the scale read an amazing 8 lb loss from the beginning (not logging until Friday though). So it's working.
However, my muscles aren't really being built. My game includes a resistance band and doing things like squats, curls etc. and some days I am sore (which is normal I assume)
My friend does no cardio and only lifts weights at the gym. I can already see s difference in her muscles in only a few weeks. Should I cut some cardio and focus more on building muscle to see similar results?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing a cardio program on my PS3 for a month now. I have stayed within my calorie allowance and the scale read an amazing 8 lb loss from the beginning (not logging until Friday though). So it's working.
    However, my muscles aren't really being built. My game includes a resistance band and doing things like squats, curls etc. and some days I am sore (which is normal I assume)
    My friend does no cardio and only lifts weights at the gym. I can already see s difference in her muscles in only a few weeks. Should I cut some cardio and focus more on building muscle to see similar results?

If you want to see some muscles then yes, I would cut some cardio and focus on building...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    To see definition, you would need to lower your bodyfat %.

That comes from a calorie deficit.

To maintain your muscle mass, start an established progressive strength training program. If you go to the gym, try Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or Strong Curves.

If you work out at home, you can do a bodyweight program such as You Are Your Own Gym.

To actually build more muscle, you would have to eat in a surplus along with the strength training goals.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    To see definition, you would need to lower your bodyfat %.

That comes from a calorie deficit.

To maintain your muscle mass, start an established progressive strength training program. If you go to the gym, try Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or Strong Curves.

If you work out at home, you can do a bodyweight program such as You Are Your Own Gym.

To actually build more muscle, you would have to eat in a surplus along with the strength training goals.

The bolded is a very good point and it made me realize I forgot to ask a very important question. How lean are you?
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not lean. My scale says 39.2%fat and 29.9% muscle. (Believe it or not, that's a huge improvement from where I started)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm not lean. My scale says 39.2%fat and 29.9% muscle. (Believe it or not, that's a huge improvement from where I started)

those scales are massively inaccurate...

general rule of thumb for woman is to not runa bulk until their body fat is in the 18-22% range..however, you can start lifting heavy now and keep cutting, which will help you maintain mass and lose body fat. i would look into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, strong curves, all pro beginner, etc. Make sure you keep your protein intake high at about .65 grams per pound of body weight...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

those scales are massively inaccurate...

general rule of thumb for woman is to not runa bulk until their body fat is in the 18-22% range..however, you can start lifting heavy now and keep cutting, which will help you maintain mass and lose body fat. i would look into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, strong curves, all pro beginner, etc. Make sure you keep your protein intake high at about .65 grams per pound of body weight...

^This sums it up...
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Well, you can gain lean muscle while in a deficit, especially if you're new to lifting and you have a good reserve of fat to burn off, but then you'll be doing a recomp. You can do cardio, or no cardio, up to you. However, it is less likely you'll see gains if you do cardio because of the extra caloric needs. Good thing is that the more muscle you build, the more calories you'll burn overall and the more fat you'll lose but there will come a point of diminishing returns so you have to constantly adjust your caloric intake up if you're gaining muscle and losing fat or down if you're not seeing a change in your body makeup.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be doing resistance training if for nothing more than to retain muscle mass. Depending on your age, nutrition, rest, and hormones, you can add muscle as you lose fat. It is a challenge to do both, but it can be done. Resistance training will help you end up with a better overall body composition when you're done, which I assume is your objective.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Your friend could be one of those genetically lucky ones who puts on muscle more easily than others (I have a couple friends like that).

Why not leave your cardio levels the same (for me, cardio = improved mental health, as well as heart health), and just change up your resistance bands to some dumbbells.
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    Build muscle.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I started this journey thinking if I got rid of body fat first then worked on muscle I would be ok. I'm so glad I found this site. :smile: