Weight training how many times week?

Options
I have been at an unhealthy weight for too long and have finally decided to change my life. I have lost 11 pounds in 32 days. Have hypothyroidism but on meds for many years. Just slugging it out at the gym day by day.

I am incorporating weight training now. How many days a week is optimal? Currently trying for at least 3 breaking up body parts but do abs daily. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks-

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I'd recommend checking out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Pick one that you think suits your needs. You'll find some that are 3x, some that are 4x, and some that can be done 2x per week.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    depends on the prooograaaam
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    As a beginner, I'd recommend checking out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Pick one that you think suits your needs. You'll find some that are 3x, some that are 4x, and some that can be done 2x per week.

This. 3 days is good, but your best bet when you're starting out is a full body program.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    How many do you want to do?

Find program that fits your schedule and that is my friend optimal for you.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Tough question to answer because everyone's body is different and a plan that may work for some may not work well for others. It's kind of trial and error. My recommendation is always to start out slow (no more than 3x a week) and work up from there or change your routine based on your intensity and recovery. A full body routine may be a good start until you get used to lifting and proper form and then progress to a split routine.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, what other types of training you're doing and how much time you have.
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    Four days for me.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Try to find a program or a trainer that suits you. Most people suggest 5 x week (with two leg days and the rest back/arms/abs) but my schedule is a little different. I go 5-6 x week (usually 5, I won't lie!) and alternate weeks. One week I'll have three upper body days (switching out back and arms with abs EVERY upper body day) and two leg days (a heavy and a power focused day) and vice versa. On my "off days" I'll make sure I still get my stretching in and continue with some alternative form of cardio. You have to find what works for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    How many do you want to do?

Find program that fits your schedule and that is my friend optimal for you.

This.

You might find that 2 full body days fit your goals and schedule or you may opt for more days. It's not one size fits all.

I have switched back and forth between 3 full body days and 4 upper/lower days. I like both. More than that is not my style. I could see myself going to 2 full body days if life got hectic for awhile. That would be my minimum.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    kaluckey wrote: »
    I am incorporating weight training now. How many days a week is optimal? Currently trying for at least 3 breaking up body parts but do abs daily.

I think all that ab work is a mistake.

Considering exercises: don't work the same bodypart one day after the next. The point is to tear the muscle fibers, and then rest them. During which time, they grow back stronger. If you skip the rest part, it doesn't work and you're wasting your time.

There's a recent study showing growth (optimum?) at ~10 sets (to failure or near) per movement per week. So considering the rest requirement, that means: 3 sets of a full-body routine every other day for 3 lifting days/week.
    Or 5 sets on a lifting day, twice a week.

IMO, split routines are more for competitive bodybuilders but if you wanna go that complex route, I'll leave the distribution up to you.