honest feedback---> is there a such thing as too thin?

Options

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    First picture: I see a pretty girl, with nice completion, looks full of energy, looks healthy.

Second picture: I see a person who looks very tired, pale, maybe weak/malnourished. The fact that your eyes are half shut, there are lines under your eyes, and that you shirt looks like it is hanging off your body leaves me concerned.

That was my first thought on the pictures as well.
  • chrisuy
    chrisuy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I need some honest feedback. Currently I am 5'4" and around 110 lbs. My family is concerned about my weight because they think I don't look good. I think I look fine. These are some recent pictures of me. Do I look thin or sickly? Honest feedback would help and be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

I do think that there is such a thing as too thin, but I don't think that you're at that point. I don't think you need to lose any more weight, but I agree with you in that you look fine.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am replying only because you asked... Yes, there is definitely a "too thin" henceforth eating disorders such as anorexia. I am not implying that this is what you have, just that it is prevalent in our society which is unfortunately frequently represented by people of unhealthy weights for their body structures as being the ideal body image. In the first pic you appear a bit thin but, as stated previously by others, you do at least appear to have a healthy, vibrant glow. The second photo depicts a gaunt, lifeless appearance with overly prominent clavicles and other bony structures. I agree with others in that if your family is expressing concern, and they see you most often and know you best, that a physical by your physician is in order to determine a healthy weight and body fat ratio for you. I personally, although I want to lose weight myself to be healthier & thinner, think women look best with a few curves. Simply my opinion, and only because you asked. Here's to your health & well being, good luck!
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    on the first picture you look great. the second picture you look a little too thin in my opinion

Bump
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Too thin don't lose any more weight. you asked for honest feedback, well there it is. Your bones are sticking out
  • Beezo56
    Beezo56 Posts: 5
    Options
    Honestly.......you are to thin. You need to put on about 5 pounds. Really you are at the borderline. So watch your weight and take care of your self.:laugh:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can't go by weight. Someone can be 110 and still have high percentage of fat if they are small. I'd stop worrying about the scale eat healthy exercise and add some weight work. In high school I had a friend who was a size ZERO yet though she was fat all the time myself being over 200 lbs was disgusted by her opinions that she thought SHE was fat. This is NOT coming from a jealous state its an honest unbiased opinion but yes I believe you are pushing too thin.

Yes I agree the first photo you look good but are covered but based on your bones poking out in 2nd I'd say you are walking that line to too thin. IF you have spots that bother you the best thing you can do is exercise cardio AND weight lifting put on some healthy lean muscle weight. it will help you burn the unwanted fat deposits. If you still feel you need to lose weight you may want to speak with counselors for sure as you may be struggling with poor body image.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can't go by weight. Someone can be 110 and still have high percentage of fat if they are small. I'd stop worrying about the scale eat healthy exercise and add some weight work.

Yes I agree the first photo you look good but are covered but based on your bones poking out in 2nd I'd say you are walking that line to too thin. IF you have spots that bother you the best thing you can do is exercise cardio AND weight lifting put on some healthy lean muscle weight. it will help you burn the unwanted fat deposits. If you still feel you need to lose weight you may want to speak with counselors for sure as you may be struggling with poor body image.
    ^this! Start eating slightly more (100-200cals/day) & start on a weight lifting routine to add muscle. You'll not only look healthier but feel great as well while burning off any fat you may still have in a healthy way.
  • AmberYZ
    AmberYZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You look fine to me and if you feel fine I wouldn't be too worried. How about putting on a bit of muscle now that you've lost all that weight? That'd probably convince your family you're quite healthy.
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. It kind of pains me that you’ve opened yourself up to this kind of feedback. Especially if you are having trouble understanding the difference between being healthy and underweight, I suspect you don’t have the psychological skin thick enough to weather the deluge of responses that say you’re not okay, just as you are. I just don’t think you needed to bring these voices into where you are right now, because the effect is likely to be more damaging than helpful.

Just understand that our families love us. They love us deeper than any kind strangers on the internet. They know us. They know our history. If your family is expressing concern, there is a reason. It may be time for an outside opinion. But that opinion should come from a trained medical professional, not a forum of strangers.

WELL SAID!!! I was thinking the same thing!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    There is a definitely such a thing a TOO thin. I have been told by a lot of guys that if you can see all of your ribs, your too thin. I am sorry if this offends someone but if you stretch your ribs and I can count all of them, there is a problem. I would say your on the thin side and would suggest you not lose any more weight at the very least.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I think there's too thin, but there's not too healthy! If you're eating a well rounded diet (fruits, veggies, healthy carbs and fats and lean proteins) and have plenty of energy I wouldn't worry about it. Just be good to yourself!
  • kathy1117
    kathy1117 Posts: 27
    Options
    obviously theres such a thing as too thin, but i dont think u r. like every1 else, it depends on the person. how do u feel, u think u look fine,right? i dont c ne thing wrong, ur thin, thats it.u look normal 2 me, dont gain,dont lose.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There is a definitely such a thing a TOO thin. I have been told by a lot of guys that if you can see all of your ribs, your too thin. I am sorry if this offends someone but if you stretch your ribs and I can count all of them, there is a problem. I would say your on the thin side and would suggest you not lose any more weight at the very least.

I think a bigger problem might be young women relying on men for feedback on what's acceptable for a woman's body.

There is most definitely a "too thin" line, but like someone said before, we are all strangers on a forum. We don't know how you carry your weight or what size frame you have or what the state of your health is - your collar bones protruding could be a sign that you're underweight, or that you're quite pear-shaped (like me!), or that you took a picture at a fairly bad angle. Take into account what your loved ones are saying, consult your doctor if you feel unwell, and focus on what feels right for you!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    (Edited to say I've just noticed how old this thread is, so not even sure the OP is even following it any more!)

I wonder what is going on behind the scenes here as well. The sensible people are posting openly on here - I am very worried that you might be getting support in private messages from the pro-ana people. Or also, that maybe you want us all to say you are too thin because maybe you want to be startling thin and even by replying, we are fuelling your problem:(
    Even on the first pic I would say your arms look too weak - as others have said, this can make you look very frail and unwell. At the very least you need to tone up and will find that you need a few more calories to do this. No-one is saying you need to 'fatten up' but you do need to get yourself STRONG and HEALTHY.
    On the second pic you look unwell, hun. I know pics can be deceiving but that fact you have posted it must mean you think it's an ok pic, which is worrying. You look very pale and unhealthy.
    I am am sure your family just love you. If you think there is no problem, go to a good nutritionist of doctor to give you an objective view. As a college teacher I have seen a few of my students go through this and it is rarely about weight/ attractiveness. You need help to find out why you want to be so small - is it pushing away grown up responsibilities? Not wanting attention from potential partners? Just taking control because you feel you lack it elsewhere? There are so many reasons and you need to get to the bottom of it.
    There is so much more to this than 'am I too thin?' Please look after yourself :flowerforyou:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i was your exact stats, and i looked sickly as well... so i would probably say yes to your question, and DEFINITELY to whether you can be too thin.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am about the same height as you (an inch taller) and at 112lbs looked great, but was technically underweight, and stopped menstruating. I think you are too thin for your health, yes. Of course it is up to you how thin you want to be. I think you look a bit gaunt and bony.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    If you are too thin, you will know it without having to ask online.

Strangers on the street will gesture to it.

I cannot see the photos, but your stats seem fine to me.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i cant see the pics, but your BMI is the same as mine (18.9) and I dont think im too thin. I think im about right.

How do you feel? Are you happy?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!