One thing I truly HATE about this "lifestyle change!"

Options
It's Saturday night and while my friends are out boozing it up, I'm feeling the need to hit the gym again ALONE because I feel guilty about drinking with them 3 times last week!

I just needed to get that out and find out if there is anyone else who feels like they're losing friends during this journey?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can you encourage them to do healthier things? Like go for a Saturday afternoon hike? Or next time stick to water, or a few light beers then water.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there are some friends you'll lose...or, need to limit your time around. But, others will adapt.

TOnight my friends and I went roller skating on a whim. It was fun! And, it was exericse....instead of our usual drinking and eating.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to drink? I stopped. My friends don't mock me for it. They say they wish I could do what I do. If you're having issues, maybe you need better friends. Good luck.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's Saturday night and while my friends are out boozing it up, I'm feeling the need to hit the gym again ALONE because I feel guilty about drinking with them 3 times last week!

I just needed to get that out and find out if there is anyone else who feels like they're losing friends during this journey?

I drink 3 times a week, every week, and I'm still losing like a fiend. [:
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    I have my neighbor friend and we like to share drinks occasionally. That being said, we also exercise together frequently. If you can't convince your friends to do some activities that don't involve drinking, maybe you could get a few new friends?
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am totally losing friends, not in the way you might think.
    I am constantly talking about how awesome food is.. like how low in calories and high in fiber veggies are.. how great it is to be eating raw fruits and veggies instead of super processed stuff, and how you can find healthier options while eating out or whatever..
    But people aren't having it. I don't know what it is, but people don't like talking about it. Even my boyfriend walks away while I check out food labels while we are grocery shopping!
    It could just be that hyper-awareness that scares people. They might be thinking,
    "How can she want to know how bad food can be? Isn't ignorance bliss?"
    Haha cause I totally remember thinking that before. Something like, "McDonald's just tastes good.. the sodium/fat/calories shouldn't matter!"
    But it does! I wish you luck in your journey. Meet up with gym folks, or strike up a conversation about healthy eating if your treadmill partner is reading Cooking Light or something!
  • amclark37
    amclark37 Posts: 19
    Options
    I so feel ya. My family drinks by the pool every weekend and I don't know how many times I have had a great week going only to start drinking with them, and totally mess up my weight loss. I almost feel like that is one of my major obstacles in my weight loss. My friends drink also and have no interest in leading a healthier lifestyle. Everytime we get together drinking is involved!
  • srtiemann
    srtiemann Posts: 76
    Options
    Don't feel back about going out with your friends, we all do it. I too have been limiting the amount of trips out because I don't want to over do it with eating and drinking but my friends understand. Your friends should understand too.
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    Yeah its a huge problem for me. Its uncomfortable to go out sometimes because I feel pressured to eat by my friends who I think are uncomfortable around me because they are bigger than me and not watching what they eat. It helps a lot to have friends who are also trying to live a healthy lifestyle. They want to eat (or not eat) at the same.places as you, refrain from drinking, and do activities together that dont involve eating like taking walks or going to the gym.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

If your friends aren't supporting you, and are encouraging you to choose an unhealthy behavior, then they were never very good friends in the first place.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has massive calories. You can always be the designated driver if you want to go. But being sober isn't a bad thing, and if your friends can't understand that then you definitely need new friends.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I don't think your friends are being rude at all or anything! I'm guessing you're fairly young like me and everybody our age likes to go out and drink! It's a social activity - but my friends and I also do non-drinking things with them too.
    That being said, maybe you could DD for your friends! They would probably love it if you volunteered and then you can record their silly moments, but without indulging it yourself! I will probably plan on doing that myself this school year too!
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Maybe you could DD for your friends! They would probably love it if you volunteered and then you can record their silly moments, but without indulging it yourself!

I only DD'd for one person and that was when she had her benz... now she has an audi - it's totally not as fun! :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could DD for your friends! They would probably love it if you volunteered and then you can record their silly moments, but without indulging it yourself!

I only DD'd for one person and that was when she had her benz... now she has an audi - it's totally not as fun! :)

hey and you get to drive her car too! thats awesome :)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Get you a good workout during the day and then you can go out with your friends and have a few drinks.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Even my boyfriend walks away while I check out food labels while we are grocery shopping!
    It could just be that hyper-awareness that scares people. They might be thinking,
    "How can she want to know how bad food can be?

This happens with my boyfriend as well.... I just want to have a healthier lifestyle and be able to try new things that are not processed or high in calories and low in nutrients.... I just think that "It they don't like what I'm doing which is right for me, then they just don't care if they live a short life while I live mine to the fullest...."
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Even my boyfriend walks away while I check out food labels while we are grocery shopping!
    "How can she want to know how bad food can be?

This happens with my boyfriend as well.... I just want to have a healthier lifestyle and be able to try new things that are not processed or high in calories and low in nutrients.... I just think that "It they don't like what I'm doing which is right for me, then they just don't care if they live a short life while I live mine to the fullest...."

That makes me feel so much better too! I actually got into a facebook argument (pathetic, right) with one of my boyfriends best friends because he thought that eating only non-processed foods was a horrible idea and it had to be a crash diet and yadda yadda yadda... needless to say, we aren't friends anymore :):):):):):):) (not that i'm overly happy about this or anything?)
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    im sometimes glad that im at the otherside of the world to my friends for the year , yeh i miss them but it have given me time to work on myself , dreading going back to the big drunken partys though , but if your friends care about u trhey should be supportive and maybe even go to the gym with u
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, i stated this journey with two others and it was great for a while, now one has taken up biking and is no longer going to the gym with me, and the other has dropped the excercise thing completley.

Im also frustratded by everyone around me saying..."come on just have a bite", "but its so and sos birthday have some cake".

Unfortunatley some people will not understand your dedication. I have started going to the group classes at the gym and met some really nice people, so now its like this little 6am club of us at the gym, with the support there and all of you here, I am committed this time to make a real change.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

I don't have friends who go out boozing for entertainment on a Saturday night, but I do go out fairly often. I either get one drink and nurse it or sip on seltzer water all night. I'm out to visit with my friends, not the bottle.